PE Summit EBT

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
  • Super Cedar firestarters 30% discount Use code Hearth2024 Click here
Status
Not open for further replies.
In the end of the ebt housing, you want to see the head of the mounying bolt for the thermal spring. Mine was hanging out! Tim

oldspark said:
BeGreen said:
How often have you laid on your back, and watched this through a full burn cycle? I set up a mirror to do this and found it worked pretty much as advertised with a full reloading of the stove. But our stove temps regularly get above 600F with a full reload. It usually doesn't open on a cold firing of the stove. The body of the stove needs to warm up first. I'd do a video with it in place, but we are still not burning 24/7, it has been too mild for full overnight burns. And I'm not sure it would be a good idea to have the camera that close to the stove front for a long time.
I have looked at it more than I like to admit to, the mirror is a good idea, can you tell a difference in the stove when it opens, I read a post once where the guy claimed the stove overfired when it opened up because it was not working correctly.

Yes, if it's functioning, you can see the port opening on the bottom of the EBT. How far it opens will depend on the stove temp. Sometimes it just opens a little bit, it depends on the burn cycle and how hot the firebox gets. With a big hot fire it opens (tilts) maybe about 25%.

So when its hot it opens? Or when it cools?
Thought in the video it .. let me look again

It is closed when cold and hot, opens only on the way to hot and on the way down from hot to cold. With a heat gun on it, is is real simple. Here are some photos of my emergency secondary air plug. Since i have been wrenching for 35 years, I like to be in full control of my equipment. No epa eyes here. Will never need it, I hope. Almost ready for paint. Tim

Attachments

• [Hearth.com] PE Summit EBT
    DSC00085.webp
    71.9 KB · Views: 218
    DSC00084.webp
    47.5 KB · Views: 211
    DSC00083.webp
    33.4 KB · Views: 212
    DSC00076.webp
    52.7 KB · Views: 203
    DSC00075.webp
    59.3 KB · Views: 207
BG-Sorry I ment could you tell a difference in the way the fire was burning?

tim1-looking good, cant wait to see the finished stove, I like your secondary control.

Read all the info about EBT I can find and it still does not make a whole lot of sense to me, "it senses the temp and gives it more air to maintain clean burn," you can turn the air down and have a cleaner burn compared to other large fire box not cat stoves, ya right. After looking at the drawings on chimney sweep I am sure mine does not work like it is supposed to. I now understand how you can get confuse about the way it works, and Tim1 it works exactly like you said from what the chimney sweep site states, opens on the way up and the way down.

The EBT is not intended to make a huge difference. People seem to be expecting some sort of magic from this addition, which it is not. After some extended observation, I didn't like the way if affected my burns with a full reload of softwood because the extra air appeared to accelerate the fire at a time when I didn't want it to. So I experimented and eventually put an aluminum foil plug in the EBT intake hole to take it out of the burn cycle. However, every stove, flue installation, draft and fuel is going to be slightly different. Burning with hardwood could be a whole different experience where the EBT does just what it is supposed to do. For sure, if it ain't broke, leave it alone.

Sparks, after going through a year of not believing that your stove needed better draft, I'm not going any further here. You are still complaining the stove is not getting hot enough so it could very well be that your EBT is barely coming up to temp. That doesn't mean that it doesn't work. It just means that for your installation you are not seeing any results.

Iceman, with a warm Summit that can get up to full temp easily, the EBT will open on temp rise, then close again. The flapper has a cam like action. You can see this in the video. It does the same on cool down.

tim1, thanks for sharing your mods. I too have been toying with the idea of adding a secondary control. If I do, it will be much simpler in design. No welding shop here, so it will probably end up more like precaud's Morso secondary control or perhaps more like the mid-sized PE's. With my wife also running the stove, I like the single lever implementation on the Spectrum. I need to study the Spectrum linked secondary valve closely first to see if it's adaptable to the T6.

Status
Not open for further replies.