Pacific Energy Summit Classic Trivet Cooking

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

GoStove

Dec 6, 2021
USA
Hey everyone,

Curious if anyone might be able to share how hot the Summit Classic gets on top the trivet? Hot enough for boiling water / light cooking? Just thought I’d ask considering the double wall design. Thank you!

I’ve cooked on it. It takes a while, and it’s been a while, but if I remember correctly, if you let it sit there for a while, you will get a good simmer going.

A 2 liter kettle full of water will take a long time to reach boiling on the trivet. Eventually, it will reach simmering, but likely greater than an hour if the water is cold and the stovetop is say 600º. Directly on the stovetop water will boil in about 20 minutes.

Thanks guys and wow that’s longer than I would have thought. Makes we wonder if going with the non-classic version might be better. Primary use would be to heat the home but definitely want to be able to get some water boiling from time to time.

Thanks guys and wow that’s longer than I would have thought. Makes we wonder if going with the non-classic version might be better. Primary use would be to heat the home but definitely want to be able to get some water boiling from time to time.
That's the beauty of the T6, best of both worlds.

I have cooked on my T6 a bit. The top grates work for thawing frozen portions of soups and stews in 40-60 min if stove is a bit over 500

Have cooked large cast iron pots of venison stew and other soups but place a small cast iron trivet directly on the stove top, and the pot on trivet. The trivet does not keep the pot very far from stovetop compared to the built in grates. A Dutch oven with very short legs would also probably work.

Did a killer jalapeño cornbread by heating the pan and it’s lid on stovetop before pouring in cornbread mixture. 25 minutes with pan on trivet and lid on pan baked it to perfection. Only use cast iron for my cooking.

Last edited:
Yes, I swing out the trivet a bit and cook at the edge of the stove top if I want a real slow cook. Otherwise, with a dutch oven on the trivet top and a 5-600º stovetop, I cut off an hour from the slow cooker recipes I have tried.

Thanks. I had not considered the T6 as I was enamored with the porcelain of the Summit however the T6 is growing on me and seems superior for cooking. Tight area so wouldn’t be too excited about its slightly larger size. But, cast iron might be nice for the softer heat as well.

Just for kicks, does anyone know the size of the trivet on the Summit Classic? Trying to figure out what the opening would look like dimension wise for direct cooking on the stove top if the trivet was taken off. I know it’s an odd shape but maybe something would fit. Thanks!

Just for kicks, does anyone know the size of the trivet on the Summit Classic? Trying to figure out what the opening would look like dimension wise for direct cooking on the stove top if the trivet was taken off. I know it’s an odd shape but maybe something would fit. Thanks!
I don't have one handy, but I would guestimate about 6" x 18".