Summit Classic Trivet Size

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

GoStove

Dec 6, 2021
USA
Hey guys researching I’m finding some conflicting reports on the size of the cooking area on a Pacific Energy Summit Classic. I found a cast iron pan that is 16.5 x 8”, does anyone know if that would fit directly on the stove top of the trivet area if the trivet was removed? I am not sure if it gets hot enough on top the trivet for cooking, although I did see one post here with a photo that showed about a 450F temp reading on top the trivet. Trying to figure out a way to at least get a stew or something going. Any input appreciated!

I don't think the pan will fit, but will ask a friend who owns a Summit.

Thanks for that! Still trying to figure out the largest cookware that would work before moving forward. Wish Pacific Energy could offer something that matches as from what I’m seeing out there this trivet area doesn’t match up to a lot of cookware options.

The hole with the trivet removed is roughly 7" x 18". Note that you can cook easily on the trivet. A dutch oven works great. Direct contact is really only needed for boiling water or hot wok cooking. The stove works well for stews, slow cooking, etc. If you want greater cooking surface, the basic Summit cooktop is all exposed. And the Alderlea T5 & 6 offer the best of both worlds. I've cooked complete dinners on our T6.

Thanks, sounds like the 8” wide pan I found wouldn’t work. I only have experience with radiant style wood stoves, but had thought cooking on top the trivet might not work. I found a kettle that would fit with the trivet off for sure…but for cooking would you say something like a cast iron Dutch oven, roughly of trivet size, but on top the trivet would get hot enough for stuff like stews / chili / eggs / biscuits / - maybe a steak etc. ? I really like the Summit Classic but would want that ability to cook if needed.

Last edited:
Does anyone know how deep the trivet area is by chance, with the trivet removed? Found something that is quite promising and should fit 18x7” but it widens towards the top, to complicate things of course. :)

Guessing it's around 1.25"

but for cooking would you say something like a cast iron Dutch oven, roughly of trivet size, but on top the trivet would get hot enough for stuff like stews / chili / eggs / biscuits / - maybe a steak etc. ?
Yes, dutch ovens or an open frying pan work ok on the trivet top. Basically, anything that can be cooked at medium-low to medium on a conventional stove will work. For more range, the regular Summit with its exposed top, may be a better bet. For the ultimate range in temperature there is the Alderlea T5 or T6.

Last edited: