Overheated Princess Insert?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

patrickoneal

Jan 25, 2017
Virginia
I got home and started up my BK princess insert today. I had the door closed and latched, blower off, bypass open and the thermostat set all the way high while the wood caught fire. I let it burn for a little while and closed the bypass when the cat was warmed up. I let it burn for a little while longer on high to clean the glass. When I went to turn down the t-stat and start the blower, the cat gauge was reading off the scale. This is my first full season with the stove, and I thought the thermostat was supposed to keep the stove from running too hot. I think my IR gun said the stove top temp was 650F, but it's the cat temp that concerned me. Should I just keep an eye on it when running wide open? Is this considered normal operation?

Last edited by a moderator:
I installed a beer can over mine then I quit burning ponderosa pine.LoL

That’s normal. The cat simply had more fuel to burn this time. It’s good you noticed a difference though, many people don’t pay enough attention. The cat thermometer isn’t a precise instrument, it’s really just to tell you when to close the bypass.

From what I have learned here is running the t/stat this high will shorten its life. Mine ran higher than yours for one year and still performs today.

Thanks for the input, I guess it's fine.

I suppose if it wrapped all the way around back to inactive and melted the cat, it might actually be telling the truth.

Normal but if it bothers you you might not spend so much time at max before turning the stat down. That should keep the cat needle down a bit.

Reactions: Woody Stover
How does exploring this high temp range affect the thermometer accuracy? I have read that repeated high forays into very high temps affects the bimetallic spring. Thought his was from Condar, but haven't verified it yet. Yes I know that BK has chosen to erase numbers, but is relative range accuracy suffering from this?

It did bother me made me nervous Bk States a minimum starting temperature of 500 deg and maximum temperature of 1800 deg not sure about numbers. So answer what temperature is OP according to his gauge? I see OP lives on the east coast no ponderosa pine there. Like I said if I burn 10-15 percent ponderosa my gauge will go past go on slow burn

Last edited:
It did bother me made me nervous Bk States a minimum starting temperature of 500 deg and maximum temperature of 1800 deg not sure about numbers. So answer what temperature is OP according to his gauge? I see OP lives on the east coast so ponderosa pine there. Like I said if I burn 10-15 percent ponderosa my gauge will go past go.

Yeah, I don't even know what ponderosa pine is :)

I've got a whole bunch of black cherry I'm burning through from a large tree my father cut down.

Yes, I'd like to know if I have taken the cat above maximum recommended temp.

Reactions: Woody Stover
I’m I correct your gauge stove cold is on the mark?

Reactions: Blazing
Not to rant sore subject with me!

Attachments

• Overheated Princess Insert?
    CB533879-D273-4ADA-BDD8-5345F0C4DE91.jpeg
    63.6 KB · Views: 208
Reactions: Blazing
Turn the fan on high it will drop cat temperature quick and do like high beam said

It’s been past go believe me cat still functions

Set t/stat at temperature you like and walk away I was told this too Bud lite can fits just fine!

Last edited:
The only ones i know of actually heat damged had the loading door open and running in bypass for extended periods.

If you had the loading door latched shut there is a 99.999% chance you got nothing to worry about.

The only ones i know of actually heat damged had the loading door open and running in bypass for extended periods.
I've seen the catalyst start to peel off the substrate on a couple of cats that I know got hot more than a few times, one ceramic and one steel.

When using the Infrared gun to check stove top shoot the gun at the far left or right not the center of stove! Center of stove will be picking up heat from the combustor.Go back and read the manual again there are some good tips when setting fan speed to T/Stat

Reactions: patrickoneal
Do whatever you want, just remember to close the bypass. I burn my PI on high every winter. My cat is well past its 10,000 hour service life and is still limping along.

Any stuff you hear about changing the initial size of the fire to make the burn hotter or cooler does not apply to your stove. The thermostat removes any need for that old timey crap. Load 'er up and set the dial to whatever temperature you like. If you like "blazing inferno", pick "blazing inferno"- it's designed for that.

It's perfectly normal to wrap the cat probe around when the cat is new.

I really think that if it was even possible to damage the cat on that stove with the door and bypass closed, I'd have done it myself, as I've subjected mine to many flavors of abuse.

Straight from Blazeking manuals

Possible Cause: Extreme temperatures (above 1800°F, or 1000°C.) at combustor surface can cause the catalysts to peel. Over firing and flame impingement on the combustor are primary causes. Minor peeling photo shows minor peeling that is normal and does not affect function. Severe peeling photo shows that are closed or plugged.
Solution: Avoid extreme temperatures and flame impingement. If peeling is severe, remove and replace combustor. The original poster pictures show combustor pointing apox south so from the starting point apox 500 degree or 10 o’clock what maximum temperature is it reading when it wraps around? Yes I know we have a 10 warranty just doesn’t make sense reading the gauge and some saying it’s not over firing the cat or is this a misprint from Blazeking

Straight from Blazeking manuals

Possible Cause: Extreme temperatures (above 1800°F, or 1000°C.) at combustor surface can cause the catalysts to peel. Over firing and flame impingement on the combustor are primary causes. Minor peeling photo shows minor peeling that is normal and does not affect function. Severe peeling photo shows that are closed or plugged.
Solution: Avoid extreme temperatures and flame impingement. If peeling is severe, remove and replace combustor. The original poster pictures show combustor pointing apox south so from the starting point apox 500 degree or 10 o’clock what maximum temperature is it reading when it wraps around? Yes I know we have a 10 warranty just doesn’t make sense reading the gauge and some saying it’s not over firing the cat or is this a misprint from Blazeking

The manual on the PI also tells you to run the blower on high when the stove's on high. I don't always follow those instructions, but it seems like it'd be pretty hard to overheat the cat with the blower (which is blowing right over the cat) on high.

With a brand new cat, it makes sense to be a little conservative just in case, as it's hotter than an older cat. The advice in the manual seems plenty safe for this purpose.