Overheated Princess Insert?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
And yet the blower is optional on the freestanding stoves...

And yet the blower is optional on the freestanding stoves...

In my experience that's okay; I've run my PI extremely hot with no blower and the cat came through okay. I'd imagine a freestander would be better off, as it's surrounded with air instead of insulation.

I'm not saying that anyone should do that on purpose (for starters, it's a waste of wood)- but don't lie awake worrying about it if you did it by accident.

In my experience that's okay; I've run my PI extremely hot with no blower and the cat came through okay. I'd imagine a freestander would be better off, as it's surrounded with air instead of insulation.

I'm not saying that anyone should do that on purpose (for starters, it's a waste of wood)- but don't lie awake worrying about it if you did it by accident.

The insulation is poor at best on these inserts. The cat is also outside of this envelope. I agree with you and not just going along with you because I use the blower very rarely.

Additionally my insert is completely insulated with roxul and micore. Not from the factory added for bkvp.

The insulation is poor at best on these inserts. The cat is also outside of this envelope. I agree with you and not just going along with you because I use the blower very rarely.

Mine's pretty well insulated with Roxul. :)

I don't usually run the blower at all in shoulder season. In winter I run the stove fairly hot with no blower on workdays (nobody's home for 10-14 hours). If it was really cold and the stove got behind, I'll do a small hot load with fans to catch up between whenever I get home and bedtime.

Mine's pretty well insulated with Roxul. :)

I don't usually run the blower at all in shoulder season. In winter I run the stove fairly hot with no blower on workdays (nobody's home for 10-14 hours). If it was really cold and the stove got behind, I'll do a small hot load with fans to catch up between whenever I get home and bedtime.

Same here.

So little fun fact, on a regular princess with the T-stay on high all the way to the stop, it runs 200f higher cruise flue temps with fans on high vs no fans on. Like clockwork. So I wonder if the cat temps are higher with fans in due to more CFM of hot flow from firebox threw cat or is it hotter dampening down the stove (lower t-stat) with a fuel rich environment, which the cat likes?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I don't usually run the blower at all in shoulder season. In winter I run the stove fairly hot with no blower on workdays (nobody's home for 10-14 hours). If it was really cold and the stove got behind, I'll do a small hot load with fans to catch up between whenever I get home and bedtime.[/QUOTE]
Correct me if I'm wrong here! You two run your inserts as radiant heat vs convection?

Correct me if I'm wrong here! You two run your inserts as radiant heat vs convection?[/QUOTE]

I run mine for heat lol. I guess my little fan in the hall creates all the convection I need on a serious note. Now if you need more and right now the blower on the stove will give it to ya.

Reactions: black smoke signals
I run mine for heat lol.
Well I’m going to run a full load today and take your advice running with no fan.Manual doesn't say not to!

Last edited:
I run a free standing Princess and use to worry to no end about the cat...until I figured out at the very least I will get 3 seasons out of mine...18 months give or take....this costs figures out to roughly $10.33 per month. I have a new cat in reserve setting on the shelf ready to be called into duty. I quit worrying about the damn cat! This is my second season and I recently inspected the cat...aside from a little grey ash that I vacuumed right off it looked very good with no visible damage of any kind. I pay close attention to closing the bypass on time and making sure the bypass door and feed door pass the dollar bill test and then I run the hell out of it! No fan when its in the 30s and up but when the temps fall into the teens and single digits with double digit minus wind chills she gets run as hard as I dare with the fan running...and i sleep like a baby! :)