Over firing Scenario - What to do & is this true?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

MagdalenaP

Burning Hunk
Nov 10, 2018
Tilbury, ON
Saw this on a forum post: "As a general rule in an over fire situation, it's best to not close down the air. Open the door and let the cool room air flush the hot air up the chimney. Closing down the air keeps the hot air in the firebox."

Yes or no? What protocol should be followed for an over fire?

That is the general recommendation and the best way to cool the stove without damaging it.

If you have a stove with very good turndown ability, you could also try snuffing the fire using the stove's air controls and putting the fans on high, but the inside of the stove will get relief faster from an open door.

This is yet another reason to keep a clean flue... a roaring fire plus an open door probably means sparks going up there, which could add a chimney fire to your list of problems if your flue is full of creosote.

Keep your stove and its gaskets in good repair, check for air leaks, and learn to run it safely, and you won't have overfires. (Also don't run a terrible stove that isn't airtight to begin with, either due to damage or poor design.)

Last edited:
True,

Welcome to the forums !!!

Always nice to see another Sistah here :cool:

Reactions: Jotel me this
True,

Welcome to the forums !!!

Always nice to see another Sistah here :cool:

Thank you! I was in the forums years ago (yamaha_ gurl) but figured to start a new account, due to new stove and questions.

That is the general recommendation and the best way to cool the stove without damaging it.

If you have a stove with very good turndown ability, you could also try snuffing the fire using the stove's air controls and putting the fans on high, but the inside of the stove will get relief faster from an open door.

This is yet another reason to keep a clean flue... a roaring fire plus an open door probably means sparks going up there, which could add a chimney fire to your list of problems if your flue is full of creosote.

Keep your stove and its gaskets in good repair, check for air leaks, and learn to run it safely, and you won't have overfires.

But with a chimney fire arent you supposed to close the air vents immediately?
if you overfire and open the doors, wont the flames violently spew out of the box with the new introduction to oxygen? :eek:

if you overfire and open the doors, wont the flames violently spew out of the box with the new introduction to oxygen? :eek:
That's why it's hard to do but is the the best way to not over fire. Happened to me once when it hit -16 and I was using NIEL's.

That's why it's hard to do but is the the best way to not over fire. Happened to me once when it hit -16 and I was using NIEL's.
At least you can get NIELs... overfire or not lol

If you have a stove with very good turndown ability, you could also try snuffing the fire using the stove's air controls and putting the fans on high,

This is the case with my stove. Closing the air gets rid of every flame. Doesn’t matter where it is in the burning cycle. Flames go out and coals get very dim with primary air closed. But I know this is not the case with all stoves.

I’ve also heard opening the door will cool things down.

I’m not doing it. I’m a shut off the air and leave the door closed kind of guy. Smart people say it works but I just can’t see it. I’ll patiently watch the stove melt before opening the door and feeding the fire with tons of oxygen.

1000 and climbing? Parts glowing and temps climbing? I’m on the phone with the fd, and gathering my important things.

If you must open the door, at least shoot a fire extinguisher inside!

Exactly what I do shut down the air and box fan the stove. If I have to go the extra step I have a brass rod (insert stove) that I use going though air vent to push tstat lid down.

Yes with a chimney fire you dont want to give it more air. But with a runaway stove opening the door works. And no flames do not spew out of the box.

But you should obviously try shutting the air down first.

Thank you! I was in the forums years ago (yamaha_ gurl) but figured to start a new account, due to new stove and questions.
Welcome back!

What if you open door and throw handfuls of baking soda inside? Would that work to slow it down and give you time?

What if you open door and throw handfuls of baking soda inside? Would that work to slow it down and give you time?
Simply opening the door works well on its own.

Reactions: Dix
Saw this on a forum post: "As a general rule in an over fire situation, it's best to not close down the air. Open the door and let the cool room air flush the hot air up the chimney. Closing down the air keeps the hot air in the firebox."

Yes or no? What protocol should be followed for an over fire?
I've done it myself 3 or 4 times. Hair raising, but it worked.

I wouldn't have done it if anything on fire would have rolled out. Probably didn't need to be said, but...

Last edited:

I saw a you tube video offering pointers on wood stove safety.

Having a fire extinguisher and a large container of baking soda available were recommended. The idea was that you could easily grab a handful of baking soda and toss it in the stove if needed, and perhaps on a fire in the dwelling space if needed.

I think the baking soda was to be used in case of a chimney fire.

I had training in using a fire extinguisher to put out gas fires, and the type of extinguisher we used essentially sprayed something like baking soda into the fire, That presumably displaced oxygen and was remarkably effective in snuffing out a gas fire from a simulated broken gas main.

Both the fire and the effectiveness of the fire extinguisher in putting it out were impressive.

I suspect that tossing a handful of baking soda in a stove in the event of a chimney fire would also be effective, although I really don;t know.

I do have a good sized fire extinguisher in the room next to the wood stove. After watching the video I verified that it was there and easy to grab if needed.

I’m not doing it. I’m a shut off the air and leave the door closed kind of guy. Smart people say it works but I just can’t see it. I’ll patiently watch the stove melt before opening the door and feeding the fire with tons of oxygen.

1000 and climbing? Parts glowing and temps climbing? I’m on the phone with the fd, and gathering my important things.

If you must open the door, at least shoot a fire extinguisher inside!
X2

Reactions: rdust
The massive amount of cool air flushes the heat right out the chimney. After 30 seconds, you can shut the door again and go about your business. No reason to let the house burn down.

I've done it 3 or 4 times. I'll admit the first timr was aleap of faith. And I'm pretty cowardly. But, I'm not gonna run away and let the house burn down because I'm scared.

The massive amount of cool air flushes the heat right out the chimney. After 30 seconds, you can shut the door again and go about your business. No reason to let the house burn down.

I've done it 3 or 4 times. I'll admit the first timr was aleap of faith. And I'm pretty cowardly. But, I'm not gonna run away and let the house burn down because I'm scared.

Not running no where. When I open the door and flames are flying up the stack, last thing I want is those flames setting anything off. I leave the door shut, and it settles in on her own. Adding extra air does not cool mine down, only fuels the fire. 27' of stack only creates a blow torch here if the door is let open. To each their own, do what works for you.

Not everyone *can* turn their air down that much, though, and not everyone with a poor stove knows their stove well enough to cover the air intakes (and other air ingresses) in a hurry.

The guy with a 40' flue can maybe smother the fire with the air controls on a warm calm day but not a cold windy day. Maybe turning it down worked last year but this year the door gasket is looser and letting in some air.

There are variables, so everyone would do well to keep both options in mind.

Reactions: Dix
Not everyone *can* turn their air down that much, though, and not everyone with a poor stove knows their stove well enough to cover the air intakes (and other air ingresses) in a hurry.

The guy with a 40' flue can maybe smother the fire with the air controls on a warm calm day but not a cold windy day. Maybe turning it down worked last year but this year the door gasket is looser and letting in some air.

There are variables, so everyone would do well to keep both options in mind.

Funny, thinking about it, I have applied both on the PE.

1st time was my second year. It was a cold (10F ish) night, and windy!! I got 20+ feet of chimney, Straight up.Loaded for an overnight on a hot bed of coals with 2 YO cherry & oak with the bark attached :ZZZ. The PE was cranking up to 800F with in 1/2 an hour. I was not opening the door, as I got the dog ready, papers, etc near the back door. I peaked at 1000F on the thermo. Twas a fun night. BB & BG talked me through that one. :);)

2nd time was 2 year ago. PE is always cranking at 500- 600 F, it's the sweet spot. I load 4 2 yo maple splits on a hot bed for an over night, close the door, and with in 1/2 an hour, I'm at 700 F. WTH? I opened the door, and baby sat it. It cooled down to 400F pretty quick. Closed the door, all is good. OK add another split, and go to bed. Wrong. With in 5 minutes I was at 700F. WTH??? I let it burn out, and sucked up the O/B running for the night. The next morning, I opened the insert door, to figure out WTH happened, and as I open the door, the bottom of the door gasket is swinging in the wind. Never would have known it by looking at it the night before :confused:

Reactions: Easy Livin’ 3000
Not running no where. When I open the door and flames are flying up the stack, last thing I want is those flames setting anything off. I leave the door shut, and it settles in on her own. Adding extra air does not cool mine down, only fuels the fire. 27' of stack only creates a blow torch here if the door is let open. To each their own, do what works for you.
Have you tried it, or just assuming, because what you said makes intuitive sense to you?

A historical analogy: Millions of people have died of dehydration, from dysentery, flu, etc., because it makes intuitive sense to fix the symptom (diarrhea), by limiting the intake of fluids. We finally figured out, at least in the first world, bad idea.

I don't have your stove or setup, so I can't claim that I have experienced what you described. I am curious if you are making your judgement based on actual experience or what you are imagining what would happen if you opened the door.

Trust me, if I could have throttled it down enough to immediately shut it out, I'd have done it. And I wasn't too worried the house was gonna burn down, but
Funny, thinking about it, I have applied both on the PE.

1st time was my second year. It was a cold (10F ish) night, and windy!! I got 20+ feet of chimney, Straight up.Loaded for an overnight on a hot bed of coals with 2 YO cherry & oak with the bark attached :ZZZ. The PE was cranking up to 800F with in 1/2 an hour. I was not opening the door, as I got the dog ready, papers, etc near the back door. I peaked at 1000F on the thermo. Twas a fun night. BB & BG talked me through that one. :);)

2nd time was 2 year ago. PE is always cranking at 500- 600 F, it's the sweet spot. I load 4 2 yo maple splits on a hot bed for an over night, close the door, and with in 1/2 an hour, I'm at 700 F. WTH? I opened the door, and baby sat it. It cooled down to 400F pretty quick. Closed the door, all is good. OK add another split, and go to bed. Wrong. With in 5 minutes I was at 700F. WTH??? I let it burn out, and sucked up the O/B running for the night. The next morning, I opened the insert door, to figure out WTH happened, and as I open the door, the bottom of the door gasket is swinging in the wind. Never would have known it by looking at it the night before :confused:
Great anecdotes, Dix. Ever figure out what happened on the first one, to get you to 1000? If you could go back, would you be willing to open the door to cool down? If not, why?