Over-fire temps for Hearthstone Tribute ?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jeffman3

Hearth Supporter
Nov 20, 2007
S.W. Nebraska
I am having a Hearthstone Tribute Installed the end of Dec. I am learning as fast as I can about burning a wood stove, and have downloaded the owners manual from Hearthstone. I don't find any temps for over-firing this stove. Only:

"OVER-FIRE CAUTION
Over-firing means the stove is operating at temperatures
above the recommended temperatures outlined above in the
BURN RATE section. Over-firing should be carefully
avoided since it will cause damage to the stove. Symptoms
of over-firing include short burn times, a roaring sound in
the stove or stovepipe, and discoloration of the stovepipe.
Over-firing can be caused by excessive draft, inappropriate
fuel, and operator error. "

I find no temperature readings anywhere in the manual. I don't want hurt my stove, and void my warranty. Can anyone help me out? I searched for over-fire information but didn't find anything about the Tribute.

I also have a question about a serface thermometer. Do I need a special thermometer for the soapstone stove? I have one for a a single walled conector pipe . Our install will have double walled pipe. Will that work if I just set it on the top of the stove?

Yeah, don't you just love ambiguous docs that point you to a section that says nothing specific. Give Hearthstone a call or email and ask them for specific temps to be added to their Burn Rate section.

Yes, you can place the thermometer on the stove top, it will be worthless with double-wall pipe. That needs a probe thermometer. I would try to keep the max top temp below 650-700.

Thank you , I am still low on the learning curve, but I'm trying to do as much learning as I can before we start burning, so I can take full advantage of the stove once it's installed. I will try to post pictures when it gets put in. I almost have the hearth done. I'm just waiting on tile now.

Whoa, this ain't a steel stove, it's soapstone. The manuals for other hearthstone stoves give a LITTLE more guidance on overfire with a high burn described as 500 and 600 being not okay for long. Very vague indeed but I as sure as heck don't intend to pass 600 with mine. My heritage seems to like the 450 area.

Has anyone ever gotten actual max allowed stove top temps for a HS soapstone stove?

I use a Rutland magnetic thermometer just set down on the stove top and it works well. Be careful not to scratch up the soapstone with the thermometer's metal edges.

Just last week I put a thermometer on top of my Homestead. Got it up to 420 last night and it was putting out plenty of heat at that point. Haven't had it any hotter - but am still using soft wood.

Yes, maybe back off a little bit for soapstone, but if I remember right Marty's been running his in the 550-650 range. A fellow down the street has been running his at that temp for many years. Seems fine.

I'll ping Hearthstone for an answer.

My Homestead manual says not to exceed 600 degrees F. for a high burn rate and that normally you would run it on a medium burn rate. My highest stovetop temp so far has been 420 so it will be interesting to see the room temp when I add another 75- 100 degrees to the stove temp.

Yeah if I had one of those talcum powder beauties I would hang out around five hundred degrees.

Here's the excerpt from my Heritage's manual:

Monitor the stove temperatures with a stove thermometer
(available from your dealer) placed on the top center stone
of the stove. The thermometer could read as high as
500°F(260°C) on High Burn and 200-300°F(93-149°C) on
low burn. Maintaining temperatures in excess of
600°F(316°C) will cause the stones to crack and other
damage to the stove.

So I really have no idea where the overfire temp is. I suspect it is 600 but maybe somewhere between 500 and 600 run continuously.

I eagerly await the HS answer. Thanks in advance BG.

My homestead sees 500 regularly, the hottest its ever been is up around 550. It seems to like the 450 to 500 range when temperatures are down in the single digit or teens.

Highbeam said:
Here's the excerpt from my Heritage's manual:

Monitor the stove temperatures with a stove thermometer
(available from your dealer) placed on the top center stone
of the stove. The thermometer could read as high as
500°F(260°C) on High Burn and 200-300°F(93-149°C) on
low burn. Maintaining temperatures in excess of
600°F(316°C) will cause the stones to crack and other
damage to the stove.

So I really have no idea where the overfire temp is. I suspect it is 600 but maybe somewhere between 500 and 600 run continuously.

I eagerly await the HS answer. Thanks in advance BG.

Thanks for the info Highbeam. I downloaded the new Heritage and Tribute manuals and they seem to have deleted that info. No word from them yet tonight, but I will keep you all posted. In the meantime keeping it conservative is probably a good thing.

To put things in perspective for soapstone stoves, here's Woodstock's manual information.
READING OPERATION
over 250.....................OK to engage the combustor
400-600 .....................Normal operating temperature
600-700......................High burn range
over 700.....................DO NOT burn in this range

PS: Everytime I visit Woodstock's website, I am totally impressed by their library of good wood burning FAQs. I recommend all to take some time to read for awhile there. Excellent stuff.

rdrcr56, what wood are u using to get to 500 - and what's your basic procedure to get there?

Status
Not open for further replies.