Outside Combustion Air Kits - Hampton, WHY NOT?!?!?!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
The QC checklist that comes with the stove didn't include a little check box for welds. :) The store that I got it is going to send it off to be welded so they can still sell it this season. Regency is apparently going to pay for that. The worst part is that I have a 400lb Hampton coffee table in my family room now until the next install date! And it doesn't look that big until it's sitting in front of the hearth.

The new stove was delivered yesterday morning... and boy were the delivery guys tired after that job. Not only did they have to bring the new one in, but they had to take the old one out. They did tell me that that happened once before but it was because a guy failed to measure his hearth before ordering a 600LB stove. New install date is either later today or early on Saturday. I'd post a pic, but it looks exactly like the other one with the stove in the family room.

Well well well, the stove was installed yesterday, and even though it was 60 degrees out we had a fire. What an awesome appliance! I put a few small splits in the firebox and some bark kindling and the thing too off like a blow torch. I was able to keep it going till 11PM with just a split or two. I didn't get it very hot (as per the manual) so the room attained about 75 degrees (hot for us) and that's when I let the fire die.

I had to manually activate the fan so I'm not sure how hot the actual stove was, but it is really nice.

So now that I've gushed a little, I'll sum up the problems I had with the stove:
1) The flange that attaches the right side cast piece was tacked but not welded (confirmed and fixed by a private welder) so it fell off during the install. That stove was taken back by the store I bought it from and another one was delivered.

2) The right side fascia on the blower assembly wasn't put in the box. Instead I got two left side pieces so it looked like there was a hold in the blower on the end without the electrical plate (luckily the store had another stove they could get it from).

3) The enamel is missing a little around the arches in the window but I can touch those up myself

Hampton has some work to do on their quality control but the firebox is rock solid and boy can it burn some wood. I'll post some pictures later.

Far from the perfect picture, but we like it. Thanks everyone for their help in our decision.

https://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/forums/viewthread/1270/

The bottom line on this was that with even the weakest chimney in the world that downdrafted and couldn't draw a draft even on the best days, a full SS reline with an outside air kit works wonders. I'm running a fire right now with the damper 70% closed to try to keep it under control while we cure the stove.

I know you thread is some what old, but I need to speak to someone who has experience with the Hampton HI300 and the installation of an outside air kit (OAK). I am in the process of ordering this unit and the supplier is not being very helpful with the request for information regarding an OAK. Can you tell me 1. did you have to buy any additional materials or an OA kit? 2. Did they cut through the outside wall of your chimney for the connection? How was the connection made? 3. Did you have any reluctance on the part of the installer to supply the Hampton with outside air Did they try and tell you it wasn't necessary?
I know its been a while, but I am hoping you can still remember how the OAK went in.

Status
Not open for further replies.