OUCH! Chainsaw kickback

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Brian VT said:
I'm just a newb but as soon as I see the kerf start to close I stop cutting and either put a wedge in the kerf or leave it and finish the cut after I roll the log.
Be safe.

its good to learn to control the kick back if your on the under side of the log give it a 30 degree twist it will catch the log stop the chain and reduce your kick all very quickly.I was doing it with brush under the log and kept it from running in the ground and dulling the chain.

Yup took me about 5 mins to realize I was not looking at your knee. WOW is that one big bump

Having nothing better to do one day, I ran a circular saw across my thigh and laid open
a pretty nasty gash about 6" long.
I was tolerating the pain and minding my manners while
laying in the triage area until this med student runs in yelling, "Where's the guy who cut his leg off
with a chainsaw!"
Started to hurt real bad then and when the kid bent over to look at it,
I kicked him in the face with my good leg.
The doc told him to get the flock out.
Then I felt better again.

Good luck Lumpy.

LLigetfa said:
Using the term kickback is fine, it's just not the kind of kickback we're most familiar with.
I think the type he had is called pushback. It's the same force you feel when cutting with the top of the bar.

Brian VT said:
LLigetfa said:
Using the term kickback is fine, it's just not the kind of kickback we're most familiar with.
I think the type he had is called pushback. It's the same force you feel when cutting with the top of the bar.

that's right same thing but Little different push back is easier to control but your chainsaw acts the same its just not going for your head its going for your legs. kickback,pushback,pull-in.

kenny chaos said:
smokinjay said:
[its just not going for your head its going for your legs. kickback,pushback,pull-in.

Got my imagination working.
lol

"The last time I saw legs like those, they were hanging out of a nest"
"Is that a string hanging off of your shorts?...Oh that's your leg"

Those are the only two chicken leg jokes I can offer... I've heard them every spring of my life. :lol:

Rob

kenny chaos said:
Having nothing better to do one day, I ran a circular saw across my thigh and laid open
a pretty nasty gash about 6" long.
I was tolerating the pain and minding my manners while
laying in the triage area until this med student runs in yelling, "Where's the guy who cut his leg off
with a chainsaw!"
Started to hurt real bad then and when the kid bent over to look at it,
I kicked him in the face with my good leg.
The doc told him to get the flock out.
Then I felt better again.

Good luck Lumpy.

Hey, where's the Beav?

Yeah, I got it, get it all the time.
Retry;

"Hey June?"
"Yes Ward."
"Where's the boys?"
"They're in the backyard. Eddie came over and he's helping Wally feed wood to the Beav."
"Oh, that's nice. What's for dinner?"

I also thought it was your knee at first. I hope it heals quickly.

I get push-back a lot when cutting rounds with my 372. I basically expect it and am braced for it when it happens. It usually happens just as the log is cut through.

That is a tough break on the goose egg on the leg. I don't think I have done quite the same thing. I have cracked my shins on tractor hitches lots of times. That will generally bring out my best French. I usually end up with a big black bruise but not so much swelling.

Hope your leg gets back in shape soon.

Don

Status
Not open for further replies.