OUCH! Chainsaw kickback

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Danno77

Minister of Fire
Hearth Supporter
Oct 27, 2008
Hamilton, IL
Sawed through a log and the top closed just a tad as I was at the bottom, caught the chain on the top of the saw and sent the saw straight back out of the log. I usually cut with a stance that is almost perpendicular to the log, my right leg slightly forward. I use this stance because if the saw kicks straight up it would miss my head and hopefully go over my right shoulder. It's just cock-eyed enough so that my left hand is still on top of the saw to trigger the chain brake in such a circumstance.

Well, anyway, this position apparently leaves my right shin (when the cut is low enough) exposed just on the inside edge (slightly on front as well)

The handle of my saw is fine, this didn't hurt too bad, but I kept feeling pressure down where my pants hit my shin, kinda like a twig pressing on the outside of your pants against your leg. Pulled up the pantleg and found this bugger.

Scale is hard to figure out, but it seemed to be almost an exact HALF of a golfball glued right on my shin. MOST swelling went down in a day, and it's really not too bruised looking, yet. I did it on Sunday.

The lesson learned is this: I can't believe how fast that saw was moving. If that had been chain at any part of my body it wouldn't even need to be rotating to cause major damage. There is no time for reaction, make sure you are protected. Be safe out there everyone!

Attachments

• OUCH! Chainsaw kickback
    img143 (Large).jpg
    109.7 KB · Views: 1,294
Nasty looking lump. I hope you don't get a blood clot from it. Keep it elevated as much as possible and vary your seating.

LLigetfa said:
Nasty looking lump. I hope you don't get a blood clot from it. Keep it elevated as much as possible and vary your seating.
At night I've been throwing on some circulation socks (I had some from leg surgery a few years back. They are basically heavy duty pantyhose looking things that are easier than wrapping with ace bandages. they seem to bring down the swelling and hopefully promote good circulation.

I hope you iced that lump to reduce the swelling and speed up the healing process. I had something similar where I fell off a stone well and caught my knee. An ugly bubble like yours formed right away. A few hours of icing helped bring down the swelling.

One word: CHAPS, CHAPS, CHAPS!!!!

Might not have prevented the bruise, but now that you know how fast it can happen, next time it might be running chain against your leg..........

NP

Nonprophet said:
One word: CHAPS, CHAPS, CHAPS!!!!

Might not have prevented the bruise, but now that you know how fast it can happen, next time it might be running chain against your leg..........

NP
+1 with chaps the bump wouldnt have been as big lots of padding.

well, I hate to post about how people need to be safe and then admit this, but Chaps are on my Xmas list, along with safety gloves and a safety shirt. at the time I was only wearing steel toed boots , work gloves, eye protection and ear protection (along with general apparel for those who might suggest I was really ONLY wearing those prev. listed things!) I have a hard hat, but now I can't find it. I hope i didn't set it on the trailer and drive off. I've lost a couple of pairs of good gloves that way....

Danno77 said:
well, I hate to post about how people need to be safe and then admit this, but Chaps are on my Xmas list, along with safety gloves and a safety shirt. at the time I was only wearing steel toed boots , work gloves, eye protection and ear protection (along with general apparel for those who might suggest I was really ONLY wearing those prev. listed things!) I have a hard hat, but now I can't find it. I hope i didn't set it on the trailer and drive off. I've lost a couple of pairs of good gloves that way....

lol x-mass needs to come early this year! atleast the chaps

Jesus said:
the tip of the saw makes a kickback= dont lean on the tip when cutting
I can attest that in my case the tip was not even involved in the cut. I was cutting a 16inch-ish log and had the saw down to the bumper spike. the top closed ever so slightly and WHACK.

Ja, not what we normally consider a kickback... more of a reverse plunge. Can't say I've ever had that happen to me and I've had my share of close calls.

LLigetfa said:
Ja, not what we normally consider a kickback... more of a reverse plunge. Can't say I've ever had that happen to me and I've had my share of close calls.
I didn't know what to call it and found this definition in several places on the net:

Definition: A strong thrust of the saw back toward the faller generally resulting from improper use of the nose of the bar or the pinching of the bar in a cut is Kick-back. Kick-back causes loss of control of the saw and this in turn results in numerous saw cuts each year....

Using the term kickback is fine, it's just not the kind of kickback we're most familiar with. A kickback from the nose of the bar usually results in the saw being launched in an upward arc toward the face, neck or shoulder as per the following pic. I've had it happen to me where the spinning chain came within millimeters of my nose. I'll not post links to the graphic images of what the saw can do but if you have the stomach for just google for images using the keywords chainsaw kickback.

OUCH! Chainsaw kickback

I hope you heal fast. That was nasty and could have been much worse!

I've seen it happen and fortunately never have had it happen to me, thank God for that.

Ok I think in not going to cut wood in my ll bean slippers and bath robe anymore! What is the safest way to hold the saw and stand?

The safest way to hold a saw is in someone else's hands. The safest way to stand is way back.

Danno77 said:
Jesus said:
the tip of the saw makes a kickback= dont lean on the tip when cutting
I can attest that in my case the tip was not even involved in the cut. I was cutting a 16inch-ish log and had the saw down to the bumper spike. the top closed ever so slightly and WHACK.

I was doing this tuesday using the timber jack It was kisking back alot. Kicks back after your through the cut

I'm just a newb but as soon as I see the kerf start to close I stop cutting and either put a wedge in the kerf or leave it and finish the cut after I roll the log.
Be safe.

HOLY CRAP !!!!

I thought that was your knee cap in the pic at first.

The remedy for this is to drink 3 six packs and poke it with a stick every hour or so.

If it still hurts, drink three more six packs.

You usually don't make it through the second step, but if your passed out it won't hurt.

Oh, one more thing, HOLY CRAP that looks like it hurts.

Now go get the beer and make it go away.-lol

Danno, Holy Cow! ...that is a bad bruise, worst not bleeding saw injury I've seen...

...I have the best move imo for cutting I should patent it. Bend at the knees, back straight, left arm comfortable straight, right elbow resting on right knee. It's easy cutting even with a bad back and if I find myself in a kickback cut the saw rises harmlessly up in a direction over my left shoulder..safely away from the space I occupy.

Hey bad things can happen even to the most experienced...if you plan for a worst case scenario you can identify and control a lot of risks.

Danno77 said:
Sawed through a log and the top closed just a tad as I was at the bottom, caught the chain on the top of the saw and sent the saw straight back out of the log. I usually cut with a stance that is almost perpendicular to the log, my right leg slightly forward. I use this stance because if the saw kicks straight up it would miss my head and hopefully go over my right shoulder. It's just cock-eyed enough so that my left hand is still on top of the saw to trigger the chain brake in such a circumstance.

Well, anyway, this position apparently leaves my right shin (when the cut is low enough) exposed just on the inside edge (slightly on front as well)

The handle of my saw is fine, this didn't hurt too bad, but I kept feeling pressure down where my pants hit my shin, kinda like a twig pressing on the outside of your pants against your leg. Pulled up the pantleg and found this bugger.

Scale is hard to figure out, but it seemed to be almost an exact HALF of a golfball glued right on my shin. MOST swelling went down in a day, and it's really not too bruised looking, yet. I did it on Sunday.

The lesson learned is this: I can't believe how fast that saw was moving. If that had been chain at any part of my body it wouldn't even need to be rotating to cause major damage. There is no time for reaction, make sure you are protected. Be safe out there everyone!

I thought that was a picture of your knee!

re: pain

Surprisingly it doesn't really hurt unless you push on it (or poke it with a stick). Even though it doesn't hurt I'll take your advice and drink some beer.

re: mistaken for my knee.

Seriously, that's what my wife said when I showed her the cell phone pic. I think the fact that I have "chicken legs" only accentuates it, yet at the same time throws the picture proportion out of whack.

BTW, let me save you all the trouble: "Hey Dan, are those your legs or are you riding a chicken?"

As a nurse, I would have to agree that some beer would help the situation. I also don't recommend poking it with a stick! :)

Danno77 said:
re: pain

Surprisingly it doesn't really hurt unless you push on it (or poke it with a stick). Even though it doesn't hurt I'll take your advice and drink some beer.

re: mistaken for my knee.

Seriously, that's what my wife said when I showed her the cell phone pic. I think the fact that I have "chicken legs" only accentuates it, yet at the same time throws the picture proportion out of whack.

BTW, let me save you all the trouble: "Hey Dan, are those your legs or are you riding a chicken?"

I wish I had chicken legs they call mine pvc pipes. My legs are so thin I want to sue for non support!

I also thought I was looking at your knee cap. Its amazing more people aren't inflicking severe wounds every day with chainsaws. Man they can be lethal. Must be treated with the utmost respect every time its used. Probably shouldn't stand on branches when cutting, cut in tight spaces, stand on slippery surfaces, stand on hilly ground, cut in an upwards direction.
Probably should stop using it!

Status
Not open for further replies.