OTHER THAN LOOKS - why would anyone buy a Chinook CBT over a King?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
  • Super Cedar firestarters 30% discount Use code Hearth2024 Click here
Status
Not open for further replies.
bogydave said:
King Ultra Cat is a better stove, ""In his opinion"", less heat or more heat if needed (more heat range), longer burn times.

If you want to heat exclusively with wood and aren't around to tend fire, that range is huge.

SolarAndWood said:
bogydave said:
King Ultra Cat is a better stove, ""In his opinion"", less heat or more heat if needed (more heat range), longer burn times.

If you want to heat exclusively with wood and aren't around to tend fire, that range is huge.

Agreed - its the CAT and the thermostat that seems to make the King deliver *consistent* heat in a selected range.

I dont think the high end of the range is as high as many stoves since we have claims of a 12 hr burn on high.
To burn 12 hrs on 80# of wood, that burn could not possibly be a continuous 80k or 90k. Would have to be rationing it out at 40 or 50 tops to last 12 hrs on high.

On the other hand - to go 40hrs at low burn means the King is smoldering the wood and milking the smoke into the CAT while producing less than 10k BTUs.

I think this design is what people really want - its definitely what I want. Super long burns w/out the babysitting.

If I need even more heat Ill light another stove in the other room. At least I can leave my house for 24 or 36 hrs knowing the fire did not go out and my stove is not overfiring.

Trust me..unless your house is super huge and drafty...and laid out not conclusive for wood heating,you will not have a prop with just one BK.
Crank it to 3.5 and it will throw the btu's.

Status
Not open for further replies.