OTHER THAN LOOKS - why would anyone buy a Chinook CBT over a King?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
  • Super Cedar firestarters 30% discount Use code Hearth2024 Click here
Status
Not open for further replies.

SmokeyCity

Feeling the Heat
Mar 6, 2011
Western Pa
The King beats it in every respect except CBT emits a bit less pollution (who cares about .86 of a gram? ).

Im guessing that the looks are the only thing that recommend it over the king and that to some people looks are very important because their wives have to approve the purchase since it may be sitting in their living room.

Does anyone have one or know someone who has one yet ?

( I guess this also a bump on that "anyone seen a CBT" yet thread)

I found a pdf on it..bout it.
(broken link removed to https://www.blazeking.com/PDF/manuals/en/current/wood/OM-CK24.pdf)

SmokeyCity said:
The King beats it in every respect except CBT emits a bit less pollution (who cares about .86 of a gram? ).

Im guessing that the looks are the only thing that recommend it over the king and that to some people looks are very important because their wives have to approve the purchase since it may be sitting in their living room.

You cant compare it to the King. Its closer comparison would be the Princess. It is even smaller than that. So of course it will have a lower emission. Two completely different heaters for different needs/requirement's. Not everybody is heating a 3 story colonial from the basement.

HotCoals said:
I found a pdf on it..bout it.
(broken link removed to https://www.blazeking.com/PDF/manuals/en/current/wood/OM-CK24.pdf)

it does not explain philosophy of use and such that would explain why this stove is needed - when we already have the Elvis

I guess im looking for something that is does better than the King. I can't see that .86 less pollution inspires anyone.

Seems that it is simply a King Jr. with looks but as far as performance or functionality it is redundant to and less than - the King in every respect.

What I was looking for was something like the new combustor is the next generation and lasts twice as long and ignites at 50deg lower temp and burns the smoke 20% more or the thermostat is next gen and does something better

This unit is even smaller than the PRINCESS! It is meant for htg less squares and get BBs acceptance for looks..

SmokeyCity said:
What I was looking for was something like the new combustor is the next generation and lasts twice as long and ignites at 50deg lower temp and burns the smoke 20% more or the thermostat is next gen and does something better

I'd be ecstatic if they made a 6 cu ft version of the King and dressed it like the Chinook. I don't expect nor require any combustion technology breakthroughs. And I certainly don't want a more complicated t-stat managing a wood fire in my living room.

Light the fire from your cell phone would be cool though!
I can't believe that ..

SolarAndWood said:
SmokeyCity said:

I'd be ecstatic if they made a 6 cu ft version of the King and dressed it like the Chinook. I don't expect nor require any combustion technology breakthroughs. And I certainly don't want a more complicated t-stat managing a wood fire in my living room.

A 6cf Chinook would be an offer I could not refuse. I think the thermostat is as much of a factor in the Kins success as the CAT - maybe even more so.

If the 30NC had a thermostat as effective/consistent as the Kings - It would prolly be the best selling stove for the money

HotCoals said:
I can't believe that ..

Hey - you CAN! I saw an iPhone app that will supposed sync to your home remotes with an intermediate wireless device to interface the two.

There are stoves with remote controls - I was just looking at one last night on the web!

SmokeyCity said:
I think the thermostat is as much of a factor in the Kins success as the CAT - maybe even more so.

I think especially if no one is around to keep an eye on the fire, you are right. But, it is really the whole package: burn control, cat, tstat, big square firebox, deep deep ash lip, simple airflow, one door, steel.

SmokeyCity said:
HotCoals said:
I can't believe that ..

Hey - you CAN! I saw an iPhone app that will supposed sync to your home remotes with an intermediate wireless device to interface the two.

There are stoves with remote controls - I was just looking at one last night on the web!
I was reading a thread the oher day on here bout it..crazy stupid!

SmokeyCity said:
HotCoals said:
I can't believe that ..

Lopi's coming out with a wood stove that you can ignite from a cell phone later this year apparently...

north of 60 said:
SmokeyCity said:

You cant compare it to the King. Its closer comparison would be the Princess. It is even smaller than that. So of course it will have a lower emission. Two completely different heaters for different needs/requirement's. Not everybody is heating a 3 story colonial from the basement.

+1

just use your cellphone to call your wife and make her light it. see you already had the fancy technology and didnt even know it.

north of 60 said:
This unit is even smaller than the PRINCESS! It is meant for htg less squares and get BBs acceptance for looks..

I just like that they named it after my favorite helicopter. :lol:

It has already been mentioned that the comparison should be with the Princess, rather than the King. In comparison to the King, the Chinook has the 6" flue instead of the 8" on the king.

One thing that has not been mentioned is convection verses radiant heat. I have the Royal Heir, which is an earlier attempt to make their firebox look nice, and the firebox is completely covered, much like the Chinook. I believe it made a difference in the ability to heat my house without overheating the room it was in. My old earth stove had a partial "convection deck" much like the King and Princess, yet the radiant heat that stove gave off would cook me out in that room. This year with the royal heir, I was not cooked in the room (better thermostatic control also) and yet got better results with heating the upstairs. Loaded 2 times per day with 30 minutes to get it started and set, then left it alone the rest of the day, with only a 1.7 cu. ft firebox.

If the Chinook looks good in person, and is not priced way over the princess, it will become the stove to buy for me.

Edit:

Of course the smaller firebox would also have some effect on how it heated the space/house.

How much effect? I don't know. Blaze King lists low burn btus on princess at 6400, and on the King at 8400. They do not list low burn btu's on the Chinook. How much heat is 2000 btu's per hour? Why don't they list this number for the Chinook? When I was considering a new stove, I was told by Blaze King that the King would melt me in my stove room compared to the Princess, so 2000 btus must be significant. If this is the case, then there is another reason to go with the Chinook over the King, assuming that the Chinook has a similar or lower low burn btu output number.

SmokeyCity said:
SolarAndWood said:
SmokeyCity said:

A 6cf Chinook would be an offer I could not refuse. I think the thermostat is as much of a factor in the Kins success as the CAT - maybe even more so.

If the 30NC had a thermostat as effective/consistent as the Kings - It would prolly be the best selling stove for the money

Already is. Biggest bang for the buck period! Especially when ya get one for $476.00 on clearance.

Hogwildz said:
SmokeyCity said:
SolarAndWood said:
SmokeyCity said:

Already is. Biggest bang for the buck period! Especially when ya get one for $476.00 on clearance.

its a deal at $648 (my local HD clearance)

Why on earth would you compare the chinook to the king? That's like comparing a ford ranger to a one ton dually. Totally diffent application.

Compare the chinook to the princess and now we have a good fight.

2.75 vs. 2.85 CF firebox, meh, splitting hairs. It's the same.
30 hr burntime vs. 20 hour burntime = big deal. This is very important.
Looks, well yes this can be important to some and not so much to others.
Efficiency improvement with new firebox and cat, honestly, who cares about a few splits.
Emissions improvement with new firebox and cat, honestly, who cares when emissions are so so low anyway. We all know wood pollution comes from startup and shutdown plus burning wet wood, none of which will be shown by the super low steady state emissions rating.

So yes, there are improvements. You know cost will be a factor that might put folks back to a princess and ONLY 20 hour low burns.

yep U R corect and someone else also mentioned this

I was comparing the wrong stove - it really should be compared to a princess and it does beat the princess in looks and performance.

If I was looking to buy a princess I probably would see the CBT as the better choice

thanks!

Highbeam said:
Why on earth would you compare the chinook to the king? That's like comparing a ford ranger to a one ton dually. Totally diffent application.

Compare the chinook to the princess and now we have a good fight.

2.75 vs. 2.85 CF firebox, meh, splitting hairs. It's the same.
30 hr burntime vs. 20 hour burntime = big deal. This is very important.
Looks, well yes this can be important to some and not so much to others.
Efficiency improvement with new firebox and cat, honestly, who cares about a few splits.
Emissions improvement with new firebox and cat, honestly, who cares when emissions are so so low anyway. We all know wood pollution comes from startup and shutdown plus burning wet wood, none of which will be shown by the super low steady state emissions rating.

So yes, there are improvements. You know cost will be a factor that might put folks back to a princess and ONLY 20 hour low burns.

I see the Chinook as a better stove for my application, because I'm heating a smaller area.
Chinook should be placed around 4k BTUs on low for 30 hours, (do some math there, based off the princess/king firebox ratings and burn times compared to Chinook) which makes a big difference for me.
That will at least give me some heat during shoulder season without cooking me out of the whole house, versus if I went with a princess/king.
Especially when it's 50 or so outside.
As soon as they're available I'm jumping on one, hopefully I can get one for this coming winter.

Hass said:
I see the Chinook as a better stove for my application, because I'm heating a smaller area.
Chinook should be placed around 4k BTUs on low for 30 hours, (do some math there, based off the princess/king firebox ratings and burn times compared to Chinook) which makes a big difference for me.
That will at least give me some heat during shoulder season without cooking me out of the whole house, versus if I went with a princess/king.
As soon as they're available I'm jumping on one, hopefully I can get one for this coming winter.

Let us know what you think of it. Sounds like a good stove at a good price.
Like any new stove, some learning curve to good operation, so post the learning curve fun too..
If it puts out heat! It's a good stove.
With the free fire wood you'll be getting, free heat from hear on out.
Gotta like that. :)

bogydave said:
Hass said:

Let us know what you think of it. Sounds like a good stove at a good price.
Like any new stove, some learning curve to good operation, so post the learning curve fun too..
If it puts out heat! It's a good stove.
With the free fire wood you'll be getting, free heat from hear on out.
Gotta like that. :)

Does anybody know the price? How does it compare to the price of the princess?

Price here is going to be $3250 (Alaska Fireplace) but they don't have any yet.
$200 more than the king. (but if you add in the blowers, Ultra is about same $$)
(broken link removed to https://www.blazeking.com/EN/wood-chinook.html)

He says
King Ultra Cat is a better stove, ""In his opinion"", less heat or more heat if needed (more heat range), longer burn times.
Didn't get into the Princess comparison. He has been selling & installing them a long time.

Status
Not open for further replies.