Northern Wisconsin tree ID

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Oct 1, 2018
Wisconsin
Anyone have any idea what this is? I'm not sure if I should put this in the lumber pile or burn pile.

Wow, a twig! We don't usually get to see those. It's opposite branching, so likely a type of maple or box elder.

Wasn't sure from the other photos. Box elder?

Among native trees, east of Mississippi, opposite branching is MAD -- maple, ash or dogwood. Maple includes box elder.

I'd guess red maple. Regardless, even boxy is ok to burn in shoulder season.

my vote is Maple.

I'd guess red maple. Regardless, even boxy is ok to burn in shoulder season.
Yeah, with that red heartwood, Red Maple would be my guess as well. I like to have some on hand; Starts quickly and puts out some decent heat in the spring and fall when you don't need a sustained high burn.

Reactions: hickoryhoarder
Hard Maple all day everyday.

Hard Maple all day everyday.
I haven't split enough to know it had that red center. But yeah, the bark looks a bit odd to be Red Maple. I haven't seen that on a Sugar though, either..

Definitely some kind of maple as others have said. not really enough bark for me to take a guess. I'd rule out box elder and norway maple at least. how heavy is that split - this is the super non scientific approach. dry silver maple is super light - like poplar. Red maple is medium like walnut, sugar maple is heavier approaching oak.

Reactions: tadmaz
Definitely some kind of maple as others have said. not really enough bark for me to take a guess
When nrford makes a pronouncement, I consider an ID thread done. ;)

Reactions: nrford