North south loads in east west insert

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Slimdusty

Aug 22, 2023
Washington State
My insert can take 22” wood loaded east west, but of course when fully loaded east west there is unused firebox space in front near the door so as to prevent logs from rolling into the glass. I know some people with a similar setup cut the wood much shorter and load north south. So my question is, for those who do or have done this, which way actually allows more wood into the firebox? I don’t want to go cut a bunch of short pieces only to find out it’s a wash.

N/S loading allows for a full capacity load.

N/S loading allows for a full capacity load.
And usually less restricted air flow across more surface area of the wood.
But short pieces don't stack well at all in the yard.
I find a great way is N/S, E/W combo loads if you do have short pieces.

All true statements I believe, but from a volume or weight perspective does n/s allow more wood? If i load shorter pieces n/s, it will take more short pieces to fill the stove versus fewer longer pieces e/w. More short pieces n/s equals more voids between the pieces of wood, maybe idk? Anybody go full on nerd and try both ways while measuring weight or volume?!

If I were to venture a guess, I would say in my Stratford 2 I get probably 1/3 more wood loading n/s. Better airflow and easier to fill gaps.

E/W I typically can get 5 - 16" pieces (80" total). N/S with the same size wood I can get 9 - 12" pieces (108") plus some smaller stuff to fill gaps.

Reactions: Slimdusty
The real question is, Is the extra work cutting and PITA stacking shorties worth it?
Short answer is Nope.

In my stove:
Shorties - 9"
Regular splits 18" to 19"

Reactions: johneh
I surely get more in N/S than E/W.

Whether it's worth it if N/S needs shorter lengths depends on what the goal is. If one has to maximize burn times for work or sleep purposes, it may be worth the hassle of shorties.
If instead the insert is used for additional heat and there is no issue having another system kick in when the stove dies down, then I'd say it's not worth the work and stacking issues to go shorter.

Reactions: Slimdusty