Non insulated liner?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
  • Super Cedar firestarters 30% discount Use code Hearth2024 Click here
Insulating the liner will keep it cleaner
Unfortunately given the size of the flu (6”) anything more than just the stainless liner won’t fit unless we get an oval. Pricing that out today but I read it’s significantly more expensive.
This is not so, there are solutions. It's why oval liners are sold or fabricated on site if the installer has the proper equipment. There is also a prefabricated, insulated liner called DuraLiner that is made for this type of installation. Its OD is 4 5/8" x 7 5/8" IIRC.

Spoke with another company today who said even an oval insulated liner won’t fit and the only option is to chop out the clay liner for an additional 4k.

So either my husband can do that himself (he’s in construction we just have no time for these larger projects right now) or we let go of the wood dream and move on to a pellet stove which can accommodate an insulated liner easily.

I appreciate each of you very much, this information is so valuable to me! Thank you for helping to keep my kiddos safe.

No. The example in "the code" shows an exterior masonry chimney and specifically points to combustible trim 8" from the liner.
However, this does not apply to interior trim.
Maybe Im looking at the wrong code? 2018 International Residential Code.
Yes trim can touch the corners of the chimney. You can usually flex vinyl just channel enough to see if there is clearance to the wall behind.

This can be done DIY using DuraLiner. It's a system that has all the parts needed. They make it in oval and round 6" pipe. Just be sure that the chimney is fully cleaned first and that stainless steel pop-rivet are used to join the sections.

On top of being required by code and making the installation safer, insulated liners also perform better, you will have better draft and you will produce less creosote (the substance that causes chimney fires) with an insulated liner. On top of all that, my opinion is peace of mind is priceless.
I couldnt agree more that an insulated chimney is the best for safety and operation! But let's be careful, or at least specific, with "required by code". Certain conditions, not all, WILL make an insulated liner a requirement.

I couldnt agree more that an insulated chimney is the best for safety and operation! But let's be careful, or at least specific, with "required by code". Certain conditions, not all, WILL make an insulated liner a requirement.

As I said in my first post in this thread, in most instances it is required by code. It is rare that a masonry chimney is built with the proper clearances.

Well if you can show me a liner system that has been tested to meet ul-1777 for use with wood without insulation i would agree. But I talk to lots of manufacturers and have yet to find one that has tested their liner without insulation. And if it hasn't been tested in that configuration to that standard it can't meet the listing and can't meet code.
So while I agree technically there could be instances where insulation is not required by code. In reality those conditions simply don't exist.

Reactions: stoveliker
I have 12 feet of selkirk 6" stovepipe to install in an exposed through the wall set up on my small cabin and I'm wondering if I should wrap the last 4 feet of pipe with some form of insulation to help maintain flue temperature to the cap? I've seen others wrap the last section of pipe and wonder if it works in an exposed set up. Thoughts? Insulation suggestions? Perhaps there's a self stick insulation that I can wrap the last section with before install. Or, it might not be necessary, idk, thus the question. I'm not concerned with how it might look, more so if it might help reduce creosote buildup?

I'm not sure what is needed in your location, but class A is already insulated.
I have never seen added insulation to class A. But maybe that's something in the cold North?