Nikolai gets ready to take orders

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

begreen

Mooderator
Staff member
Hearth Supporter
Nov 18, 2005
South Puget Sound, WA
The EV truck race just got more interesting. Looks like upstart Nikolai will start taking orders at the end of the month with production starting in September. It's a good looking AWD truck too.

Looks like a playboy toy more than a functional truck.

We'll see once it gets into production. To do some serious off-roading it will need to be tough. Considering that these days maybe 75%(?) of trucks only see light-duty use and are in service more as family vehicles, it may be a good move.

We'll see once it gets into production. To do some serious off-roading it will need to be tough. Considering that these days maybe 75%(?) of trucks only see light-duty use and are in service more as family vehicles, it may be a good move.
I meant as far as the specs. It's a race car that can go off road, not really a family vehicle or a work vehicle. It's a toy that can carry five. My Truck makes a bit over 600 lb/ft of torque, but can pull far more than 8,000 lbs. This is like an electric Ford Raptor competitor.

I would go higher, like 95% of the time pickups spend on the road could be done with a Honda Civic. But that 5%. That 5% that you need the utility is so important that it makes the lower mpg worth it. I’ve done the math for my driving and it is very much not worth owning 2 vehicles. Now if there was a good rental market for working 1 ton 4wd trucks..,

Soon, a normal looking Toyota 4x4 pickup will be electrified. Then we will have a market.

We'll see how it does. If it is a hoot to drive I suspect the EV version with 300 mile range will be popular.

IMHO, it wins style points over a Tesla cybertruck. The entire hydrogen range extender aspect it questionable. Hydrogen is PITA to handle, my former employer built some of the first hydrogen fueling stations (with really big government grants). Hydrogen is small molecule and it will leak quite readily, special piping techniques are required, even it does not leak hydrogen can cause hydrogen embrittlement in many common materials like steel.

We'll see how it does. If it is a hoot to drive I suspect the EV version with 300 mile range will be popular.
I'm sure it will be a blast with huge power and face bending acceleration.

I like it, I would be interested for the right price.

Not sure about the playboy toy comment. There are lots of 3/4 and 1-ton diesel pickups out there that are being used as boy toys these days.

Reactions: bholler
I like it, I would be interested for the right price.

Not sure about the playboy toy comment. There are lots of 3/4 and 1-ton diesel pickups out there that are being used as boy toys these days.
Sure, but they can also tow tens of thousands of pounds and carry a sizeable payload. This truck can tow 8,000 lbs and a half ton payload. It's like and electric Ford Raptor. Any vehicle can be made into a toy, but this truck starts out that way. 3/4 and 1 ton trucks come off the assembly line ready for work, they don't have to be altered to do so.

Sure, but they can also tow tens of thousands of pounds and carry a sizeable payload. This truck can tow 8,000 lbs and a half ton payload. It's like and electric Ford Raptor. Any vehicle can be made into a toy, but this truck starts out that way. 3/4 and 1 ton trucks come off the assembly line ready for work, they don't have to be altered to do so.
I don't understand what point you are trying to make. Lots of people don't need the extra towing or payload capacity. How is this truck any different than any other light duty truck in that regard?

I don't understand what point you are trying to make. Lots of people don't need the extra towing or payload capacity. How is this truck any different than any other light duty truck in that regard?
I'm not here to justify myself to you, although I already answered your question. This E-Truck is flashy, expensive, overpowered, and a headline grabber. This is a vehicle for wealthy early adopters, not for doing any work. The trucks you mention might not be doing any work, but that is the primary purpose of the vehicle. The Nikolai E truck is impressive in specs and design, but not really a revolution to pickup truck buyers or the market, but it is a start. I never said I don't like nice toys, just made an observation that this truck is not really for the working person.

I'm not here to justify myself to you, although I already answered your question. This E-Truck is flashy, expensive, overpowered, and a headline grabber. This is a vehicle for wealthy early adopters, not for doing any work. The trucks you mention might not be doing any work, but that is the primary purpose of the vehicle. The Nikolai E truck is impressive in specs and design, but not really a revolution to pickup truck buyers or the market, but it is a start. I never said I don't like nice toys, just made an observation that this truck is not really for the working person.
Flashy, expensive, overpowered and headline grabber describe a lot diesel pickups that are used as toys. Lots of flashy light duty toy pickups on the market also. Seems to be the trend these days, and that's before people spend thousands on bolt-on accessories. If someone told me 20 years ago that $80,000 pickups would be common, I would've laughed in disbelief. Now I just shake my head in disbelief.

Outside of business or RV use, many people will never tow 8,000# or haul more than 1,000# payload. I don't think I've ever towed that much outside of a business application. I have a 3/4 ton to haul my slide-in camper. If it wasn't for that, the truck would be useless to me and I would be back in the light duty market.

How expensive is this pickup? I didn't find any pricing information on that site. Either way I am glad to see alternative vehicles are finally appearing that will appeal to consumers. Hopefully prices become reasonable as competition develops.

Flashy, expensive, overpowered and headline grabber describe a lot diesel pickups that are used as toys. Lots of flashy light duty toy pickups on the market also. Seems to be the trend these days, and that's before people spend thousands on bolt-on accessories. If someone told me 20 years ago that $80,000 pickups would be common, I would've laughed in disbelief. Now I just shake my head in disbelief.

Outside of business or RV use, many people will never tow 8,000# or haul more than 1,000# payload. I don't think I've ever towed that much outside of a business application. I have a 3/4 ton to haul my slide-in camper. If it wasn't for that, the truck would be useless to me and I would be back in the light duty market.

How expensive is this pickup? I didn't find any pricing information on that site. Either way I am glad to see alternative vehicles are finally appearing that will appeal to consumers. Hopefully prices become reasonable as competition develops.
It will appeal to a small group of consumers is my point. There are plenty of boat owners, equipment owners, and livestock owners that use their truck to haul and transport the family. You clearly aren't understanding what I'm saying, perhaps we should both approach from a different perspective. The price will undoubtedly be high, it's an 8,000 rocket sled with a 300 mile range that can accelerate faster than most super cars. You are missing that big diesel trucks don't offer dune jumping and felonious acceleration, they are primarily work vehicles even if they aren't used for them. This truck is a toy that can hold five. There is a distinct difference in demographic. This Nikolai truck has a small consumer market, wealthy early adopters that like to hit the trails, but an Ford F series truck sells because it can accommodate many markets.

You are just one consumer and just because you don't do much with your truck doesn't mean I don't. Obviously a truck is useless to you if you don't have any truck tasks. I live in an extremely rural area and can go through 2,000 lbs of sand in a winter no problem. I regularly use my truck for tasks for which a 1/2 ton or this e truck would be horribly suited for.

It's odd to me that you would certainly agree that a Lamborghini LM002 is a toy, but this Nikolai truck isn't. A 300 mile Dodge 3500 4x4 dually long bed with an electric drive train would be great, but I have a feeling that most heavy towing situations make things quite hot on the electric drive trains. The torque is very high on the Nikolai, so you know that's not holding it back.

For the record, I think high five and six figure diesel trucks that don't do any work are very silly, but they aren't toys. That would be like saying a Husky 395xp is a toy just because a normal homeowner has one. It's a tool that's too much for the job is all, much like folks that buy the biggest baddest truck in the subdivision.

Congratulations, you use your truck for what it is intended for. So do I. Many people don't as several of us have stated, but they blow the money anyway so they can feel proud of themselves for having a bigger, badder, more expensive truck then their neighbor.

I used to think Tesla cars were overpriced flashy novelty toys, but not so much anymore after seeing so many around here, of all places. One of our local grocery stores just installed a row of charging stations. Tesla has progressed to the point that their vehicles are becoming more and more practical for people. I think Nikola will get there eventually too. In fact I explored their website a bit more and they are entering the Class 8 truck market. Good for them, I hope they succeed.

Congratulations, you use your truck for what it is intended for. So do I. Many people don't as several of us have stated, but they blow the money anyway so they can feel proud of themselves for having a bigger, badder, more expensive truck then their neighbor.

I used to think Tesla cars were overpriced flashy novelty toys, but not so much anymore after seeing so many around here, of all places. One of our local grocery stores just installed a row of charging stations. Tesla has progressed to the point that their vehicles are becoming more and more practical for people. I think Nikola will get there eventually too. In fact I explored their website a bit more and they are entering the Class 8 truck market. Good for them, I hope they succeed.

Most Tesla vehicles are still for the early wealthy early adopter market. Folks who would otherwise be purchasing luxury cars anyway. Certainly trucks can be luxury vehicles, but not always. The Nikolai and other efforts from Tesla and the like will definitely be the carrot for wealthy investors, but not the vehicle for working folks.

Tesla shows current inventory of Model 3 starting at $38,990. Ford Escapes, which I think most would agree are not luxury cars, at my local dealer range from $30,950 to $39,875 depending on options. So no, not that unaffordable at all in my opinion. A lot of working folks spend more than that on cars.

Slash Gear article

This article states the Nikola Badger is expected to be $60,000-$90,000 depending on options. They haven't released the options list yet so it's difficult to compare.

Local F-150s range from $46,000 - $67,000 so not nearly as much difference as I was expecting.

They no longer can tow that much after people are done modifying the suspension putting oversized wheels and low profile mud tires on them that can't handle the load. I don't understand your point. It clearly isn't meant to compete in the 3/4 or one ton market. But the market they are targeted at is fairly large. And it is easy to add more load capability and cut luxury items to make a work truck. But that truck wouldn't draw as much attention.

They no longer can tow that much after people are done modifying the suspension putting oversized wheels and low profile mud tires on them that can't handle the load. I don't understand your point. It clearly isn't meant to compete in the 3/4 or one ton market. But the market they are targeted at is fairly large. And it is easy to add more load capability and cut luxury items to make a work truck. But that truck wouldn't draw as much attention.
I didn't bring up the 3/4 and one ton trucks, someone else did. I'm saying the Nikolai truck is basically an electric Ford Raptor. I don't think the market is that large, yet. Once electric trucks come down to basic ICE truck prices and capabilities then they will make sense. I don't think the target market for a truck that can 0-60 in less than three seconds is the same as the market for an entry level F150.

It's like I'm saying something totally off base, but I don't think I am. The Ford Raptor is definitely not mainstream, but the Nikolai is like a Raptor on steroids. The Raptor also starts at $55k for half the power, but otherwise equal specs. Why would the Nikolai undercut the F150 and how could it?

Clearly I must be in a different working class than other folks.

I didn't bring up the 3/4 and one ton trucks, someone else did. I'm saying the Nikolai truck is basically an electric Ford Raptor. I don't think the market is that large, yet. Once electric trucks come down to basic ICE truck prices and capabilities then they will make sense. I don't think the target market for a truck that can 0-60 in less than three seconds is the same as the market for an entry level F150.

It's like I'm saying something totally off base, but I don't think I am. The Ford Raptor is definitely not mainstream, but the Nikolai is like a Raptor on steroids. The Raptor also starts at $55k for half the power, but otherwise equal specs. Why would the Nikolai undercut the F150 and how could it?

Clearly I must be in a different working class than other folks.
I see raptors and lots or top trim level 1/2 ton trucks driving around all the time that aren't to much different in price. No I am not paying that for a truck but clearly may do. Many also.buy trucks and then dump another 30000k into them to modify them. There is a market there. But as I said this is their entry to the market designed to get allot of attention and create a buzz. If it goes well we may very well see more selection in trucks from them.

Reactions: SpaceBus
I see raptors and lots or top trim level 1/2 ton trucks driving around all the time that aren't to much different in price. No I am not paying that for a truck but clearly may do. Many also.buy trucks and then dump another 30000k into them to modify them. There is a market there. But as I said this is their entry to the market designed to get allot of attention and create a buzz. If it goes well we may very well see more selection in trucks from them.
Yeah, I totally agree with the last sentence, which is what I said earlier as well. Nikolai is trying to make a splash into the market, and I think it's going for the top end of the market, not really the heart of the pick up truck buyers. I'm excited for future entry level electric trucks and utility vehicles, just not this particular truck which is like a Tesla P100D with a long travel suspension and bed and will cost all the dollars.
I get that you see a lot of modified trucks, but there are far more that are left stock. The median income of this country doesn't support $50,000 trucks with $30,000 of aftermarket. You are probably seeing older raptors now that they are on the used market. The new ones start at $55k and get much higher.

Reactions: bholler
My Truck makes a bit over 600 lb/ft of torque, but can pull far more than 8,000 lbs.

I didn't bring up the 3/4 and one ton trucks, someone else did.

Yes, you in fact did bring it up. Much of this discussion would have never happened if you didn't try to compare two completely different pickups. :rolleyes:

Just for reference, all the F-350 trucks on my dealer's lot are $80,000+ and the F-250s are $66,000 - $72,000. There's so many on the road around here that apparently the working man can afford them, so I don't know why a Nikola would be so far out of reach if it accomplishes what many folks actually need a pickup to do.