Bolt production to stop

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
This discussion reminds me of this video and the fallacy that vehicles used to be built safer than now.

Right on Andy. When I did a deep dive on this years ago, I decided that we needed to ditch all our pre-2010 vehicles. I would rather drive my 'small' 'Chevy' 2022 Bolt than ANY car made before 2010. And I am saying that as someone who 'totaled' a 2017 Bolt and walked away.

Our Chevy Volt is a compact car. It has an excellent crash test rating. I have seen some bad crashes reported in the Volt forums and the occupants were very grateful that they walked away from some very ugly situations.
Apparently it did better than a Volvo S40 which is about the same size.
To be fair I forget that the Volt is even a GM vehicle. That is one that is outside of the norm for GM's "middle of the road" crash standards. However, comparing an ancient platform such as the old S40 (the design dates back to the early-mid 90's) to the relatively modern Volt is a bad comparison. My comment about being in a Volvo vs a GM was also assuming equivalent model year vehicles. I also chose Volvo because they have the highest crash safety ratings across the board for any model in any year (when comparing vehicles of the same year). Sometimes their older platforms lag behind as they age, but the new models always push the bar higher.

Reactions: stoveliker
To be fair I forget that the Volt is even a GM vehicle. That is one that is outside of the norm for GM's "middle of the road" crash standards. However, comparing an ancient platform such as the old S40 (the design dates back to the early-mid 90's) to the relatively modern Volt is a bad comparison. My comment about being in a Volvo vs a GM was also assuming equivalent model year vehicles. I also chose Volvo because they have the highest crash safety ratings across the board for any model in any year (when comparing vehicles of the same year). Sometimes their older platforms lag behind as they age, but the new models always push the bar higher.
It's true that cars are becoming safer. I provided the 2011 S40 crash data. It was just the first model that came to mind and the same year the Volt came out. Looking at the 2020 Blazer compared to the 2020 XC40 shows they are similar in crash safety ratings. Both are excellent compared to a car of 30 yrs ago.

Last edited:
Reactions: SpaceBus
I too walked away from a crash that totalled my Rav 4 Prime (Plug in). The air bags didnt even deploy but it was totaled. No battery damage indications.

Reactions: woodgeek
That's what m
I too walked away from a crash that totalled my Rav 4 Prime (Plug in). The air bags didnt even deploy but it was totaled. No battery damage indications.
Then it was *really* totalled; my wife was in a <25 mph "crash" with her Corrolla. Front fender damaged, but all airbags had gone off --> totaled (economically)...

Reactions: SpaceBus
It's true that cars are becoming safer. I provided the 2011 S40 crash data. It was just the first model that came to mind and the same year the Volt came out. Looking at the 2020 Blazer compared to the 2020 XC40 shows they are similar in crash safety ratings. Both are excellent compared to a car of 30 yrs ago.
Good to know GM cars have become much safer. When the IIHS first came out with the offset front overlap test only Volvo and Acura produced models that passed, but this was like a decade ago I guess. I forget that 2012 models are not very new these days.