New Wood Splitter, leaning toward Countryline

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

stevieboy

Mar 14, 2023
Sandwich, MA
I am looking for a gas powered splitter, my first. For price and performance considerations, I am leaning toward TSC Countryline in the 25 ton range. I guess a Champion is not out of the question, or maybe even a Harbor Freight product. A friend of mine speaks highly of DR equipment. Yes, based on the posts I've read here, everything in my price range is China made. My concern is repair support. Can you get parts for these machines? Do the retailers carry parts?

Most of you Countryline owners seem to like them. I don't think I will split more than a couple cords a year, most of it will be black/red oak.

Thanks in advance for your comments. I know this topic gets beaten to death here, but some threads are dated and some products go out of production or availability...

I've got one that doesn't have a motor, powered by my tractor's hydraulics mounted on my 3 pt hitch. I'd a vertical/horizontal and works great. Have had it for a few years now and have split a lot of wood, nothing it couldn't split. I do have one thing I don't like about the design. The beam isn't flat like other splitters I've used, it curls around to guide the wedge. That causes wood to get forced into it when splitting, pieces get wedged in it and it stops me from positioning the wood sometimes. It's not a deal breaker but it is the only thing I don't like about it.

Reactions: stevieboy
I am looking for a gas powered splitter, my first. For price and performance considerations, I am leaning toward TSC Countryline in the 25 ton range. I guess a Champion is not out of the question, or maybe even a Harbor Freight product. A friend of mine speaks highly of DR equipment. Yes, based on the posts I've read here, everything in my price range is China made. My concern is repair support. Can you get parts for these machines? Do the retailers carry parts?

Most of you Countryline owners seem to like them. I don't think I will split more than a couple cords a year, most of it will be black/red oak.

Thanks in advance for your comments. I know this topic gets beaten to death here, but some threads are dated and some products go out of production or availability...
All the chinees splitters come from the same factory (YTL...that's why they all look the same, except for color) so find one that has the engine brand/model and specs you want, and price that you can work with, and git to splittin.
Edit, the Harbor Freight splitters may not be YTL

Reactions: stevieboy
I am a bit reluctant to comment for the reason of karma, but I have had my Countryline 25 ton log splitter for about 5 years now and have not had to replace parts yet, so I do recommend that particular brand. Other than the engine, these things don't have that many parts to go bad and getting hydraulic parts is fairly easy with a quick internet search. My splitter has the Kohler engine and parts for it are fairly easy to find or order. From what I have seen, there really isn't that much difference in the price of the splitters. Personally, I would rather pay $200 more for a countyline splitter with a Kohler engine than the Harbor Freight unit with a predator engine.

All the chinees splitters come from the same factory (YTL...that's why they all look the same, except for color)

I don't think Champions are YTL either. They seem to be on the shorter side of things too, at least the ones I've seen walking by them at HD.

OP:
I'd recommend looking at them in person, as may want a shorter or taller one based on your height and how you will be using it.

Last edited:
Op.. I can say this.. I have 2 splitters a 22 ton and a 27 ton. The 22 ton splits everything. I have literally split 30 inch white oak rounds with it.. you may want to look at 22 ton to save your self a couple dollars that way. Honestly there is no real advantage to 25 tons and up. Also the design of the wedge is important.

Honestly there is no real advantage to 25 tons and up.

Depends on the pump/cylinder/motor combo. With the right setup, you will gain cycle time. The only reason I have a 40 ton is for the 9.5sec cycle time. It has all the big boy components. All I would need to do is put a smaller cylinder on it (bring it down to a 22 or so ton) and wham....super fast hydraulic splitter.

Depends on the pump/cylinder/motor combo. With the right setup, you will gain cycle time. The only reason I have a 40 ton is for the 9.5sec cycle time. It has all the big boy components. All I would need to do is put a smaller cylinder on it (bring it down to a 22 or so ton) and wham....super fast hydraulic splitter.

I dont think the op is really doing this.. Hes looking for a stock splitter on a budget.. so really theres not any advantage of going 25 to over 22 ton except additional expense. Looking at it this way.. if he looks at a 22 maybe that puts him in a better brand splitter..

Reactions: JRHAWK9
I dont think the op is really doing this.. Hes looking for a stock splitter on a budget.. so really theres not any advantage of going 25 to over 22 ton except additional expense. Looking at it this way.. if he looks at a 22 maybe that puts him in a better brand splitter..

Agreed, if there is no difference in cycle time.

I bought my 40 ton because it had a 9.5 cycle time out of the box. It's the ONLY reason.

I have a 25 ton countyline and I love it. Finally got into enough wood all at once and was busy enough to where I couldn’t split it fast enough by hand and bit the bullet this year. I have no idea why I waited this long. Build wuality is definitely better than the champion as I checked them both out in person.

I have a 25 ton countyline and I love it. Finally got into enough wood all at once and was busy enough to where I couldn’t split it fast enough by hand and bit the bullet this year. I have no idea why I waited this long. Build wuality is definitely better than the champion as I checked them both out in person.

its getting cold in our parts.. going down to 14 tonight

I found the spider coupler worn away completely on the YTL 25ton county line I have. Bought in 2019, about 50cord. Something to check. Other than that, it's been good so far. About the only thing I don't like is that the moving wedge slides within slots on the beam. Those slots tend to plug with bark etc, constantly. A problem open beam types don't have. Also, watch when retracting the moving wedge, as things can get caught between the wedge and the stationary uprights designed to pop rounds loose that are stuck. The uprights on mine are bent, not bad, but they aren't straight up anymore either. Put some seafoam in once in a while, keeps the orifices clean. About -10f outside, 20" of new snow, winter wonderland, stove is earning it's keep. Rain next week.

I have a TSC Countryline with a Kohler engine, it serves my purpose well. I do not need a faster cycle time as I split solo. I never use mine vertical. These are not complex machines and compete on price. The usual downside to commodity piece of equipment is initial quality control. If they break down or start leaking, it usually happens soon after purchase and its handy to have a local store to complain to if its not something the manufacturers 1-800 line cannot or will not deal with.

One issue with faster cycle times is the faster the cycle the easier it is to get finger in the wrong place. Usually not an issue with a single experienced operator but if there are a couple of people working the splitter, its something to consider.

I do not need a faster cycle time as I split solo. I never use mine vertical.

I also split solo.......I guess I'm impatient and don't like waiting on the wedge to move back. I also don't ever split vertical.

I found the spider coupler worn away completely on the YTL 25ton county line I have.

If the 25ton is like my 40 ton, it has a metal on metal coupler and not the typical Lovejoy style with a replaceable poly spider. I did not like that from the moment I saw it. Besides the actual wear, it's not good for the pump for it to have all those pulses from the engine being transferred to the pump. I immediately changed mine over to a Lovejoy style with replaceable spider.

Reactions: Sawset
Have had a 24t tsc countyline for 4 years. No complaints, I do 3-4 cords a year, plus a few for neighbors. It powers thru some big 24” plus pieces. Build quality is good.
Vertical is a must for me.
Look for sale prices around big holidays. Splitter prices have really gone up.

I have a Performance Built from Lowes with Kohler engine. Works just fine. From what I can tell, it's basically the same as the county line. I figured most of these machines are pretty much the same, so I shopped around to find the best price. Would have been happy with any of them.

I have a Performance Built from Lowes with Kohler engine. Works just fine. From what I can tell, it's basically the same as the county line. I figured most of these machines are pretty much the same, so I shopped around to find the best price. Would have been happy with any of them.

yep, YTL builds that one. One thing to keep in mind, County Lines are built by YTL to TSC's specs. So some components may be a bit different. Like the County Line 40 ton, you won't find another one built by YTL with the specs of TSC's 40 ton.

I just got a Huskee 20ton half beam for xmas. Haven't used it yet but soon. Also a YTL. Borrowed my friends Champion splitter before I had this and it worked great. I think the Champion comes with the log holder. That is a $65 extra at tractor supply for the Country Line

I have the county line 25 ton splitter that I picked up black friday awhile back for $999. I see that it's $1699 now. Yikes!
These have Kohler engines on them (or had). The best advice I can give you is to read the manual and follow what it says about oil changes and hydraulic oils. Use non-ethanol gas especially if you tend to forget to winterize things. Consider adding some fuel treatment and running it through the engine.
I forgot one year to winterize my motor and paid for it dearly. I had to pull apart the carb, clean it up to get it started. No amount of brute force starting it is going to blow the cobwebs out if you let it sit neglected like I did. I have so many motors to winterize, it's mind boggling.

I have the county line 25 ton splitter that I picked up black friday awhile back for $999. I see that it's $1699 now. Yikes!
These have Kohler engines on them (or had). The best advice I can give you is to read the manual and follow what it says about oil changes and hydraulic oils. Use non-ethanol gas especially if you tend to forget to winterize things. Consider adding some fuel treatment and running it through the engine.
I forgot one year to winterize my motor and paid for it dearly. I had to pull apart the carb, clean it up to get it started. No amount of brute force starting it is going to blow the cobwebs out if you let it sit neglected like I did. I have so many motors to winterize, it's mind boggling.
No ethanol and run it dry.

Use Seafoam in your gas!
No such thing as winterizing anything here...
My stuff gets shut off. And is expected to start the next time i need it.Could be a week or 6 months, doesn't matter. Sometimes years