New stove what to do?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
  • Super Cedar firestarters 30% discount Use code Hearth2024 Click here
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi choochter;) , did you make a purchase yet? Are you still burning?

Hi choochter;) , did you make a purchase yet? Are you still burning?
No, not yet, but we are looking more at the Jotul 500.
We didnt have the stove on today for the first time since I cant remember, house is a bit chilly now that the evening is in, looks like it will be on tomorrow though..
You still burning?
You must be from Scotland, I dont think there will be many Americans that have heard of the Tuechters (Chochters)!

Angus, what do you burn in your neck of the woods?

My pipe should get here this week and it will finally be installed.

Guilty as charged.

Angus, what do you burn in your neck of the woods?
Mostly Elm, we got Dutch Elm disease 10 years ago, and I m left with an abundance.
The woods that are common locally are; Birch, Scots Pine, Larch, Douglas Fur, Beech and some Ash.
Oak does not grow here, we dont have the climate for it.

Good to hear you have some decent hardwood to choose from. Elms are getting rare here too. Ash is starting to disappear what with the emerald ash borer, and most of the birch in northern Ontario is fallen or standing dead. But the forests are thick just the same.

Always wanted to visit Scotland. My mother once called me a frustrated Scot.

Reactions: Angus
Ay, welll glad someone is burning out there other than us in the cold and rainey pacific northwest US! Raining here and 55 F. outside today.

You really only have a 15 inch bar on a Stihl MS361 chainsaw? I thought that an 18 inch bar was rediculously short on the first 361 that I bought several years ago. I run 20 and 25 inch bars on my 361s. If you run such a short bar on a 361, I would recommend an 8 pin/slot rim to get a lot more chain speed out of it. Otherwise you are just wasting torque running a bar that short. My friends in Norway run those kind of short bars, as they have short stumpy trees, but they are north of the Arctic circle.

Good to hear you have some decent hardwood to choose from. Elms are getting rare here too. Ash is starting to disappear what with the emerald ash borer, and most of the birch in northern Ontario is fallen or standing dead. But the forests are thick just the same.

Always wanted to visit Scotland. My mother once called me a frustrated Scot.
I ve been to Alberta, really enjoyed it there, I havent been to Ontario yet, but have some friends that moved there.
Canada is a great country. I was really impressed with the Banff springs hotel, though I wasnt a guest there, I stayed in a camper van nearby!

Ay, welll glad someone is burning out there other than us in the cold and rainey pacific northwest US! Raining here and 55 F. outside today.

You really only have a 15 inch bar on a Stihl MS361 chainsaw? I thought that an 18 inch bar was rediculously short on the first 361 that I bought several years ago. I run 20 and 25 inch bars on my 361s. If you run such a short bar on a 361, I would recommend an 8 pin/slot rim to get a lot more chain speed out of it. Otherwise you are just wasting torque running a bar that short. My friends in Norway run those kind of short bars, as they have short stumpy trees, but they are north of the Arctic circle.
Hi StihlHead,
Well spotted.
I actually have an 18" bar on my 361, I ll correct my signiture!
I know this seems too short, but the Elm I m amongst needs the torque to be able to cut through it, it is incredibly dense wood.
I also have to sharpen the chain after each fill of fuel.
It is Scots Elm, or Wych Elm. I m not sure what Elms Realstone will have in Ontario? I know in England, they have English Elm, which grows with a twist and is nearly impossible to split, luckily our Wych Elm is more straight.

Ah good then, all is better with a 18 inch bar on that 361. I thought that you were doing chainsaw carving with it. With that bar, you can still put the 8 slot rim on and get more chain speed unless you are bogging down and need the torque, which it sounds like you are doing. I have been known to run an 18 in. on my 361s from time to time with an 8 slot rim (but do not tell anyone here in the long bar Pacific Northwest!). And you do have the finest saw that was ever designed and made by Stihl, the MS361. That is my all time favorite chainsaw.

We have English Elm, growing locally and it is a bear to split. Actually, shred is a better description.

Reactions: Realstone
We have English Elm, growing locally and it is a bear to split. Actually, shred is a better description.
;lol
I ll have to export some of that beautiful Wych Elm, it is hard with a hand splitter, but the tractor splitter really splits it perfectly and leaves a few strands on the log which help it catch fire easily.
I ll need to start a thread on Log splitters!

Ah good then, all is better with a 18 inch bar on that 361. I thought that you were doing chainsaw carving with it. With that bar, you can still put the 8 slot rim on and get more chain speed unless you are bogging down and need the torque, which it sounds like you are doing. I have been known to run an 18 in. on my 361s from time to time with an 8 slot rim (but do not tell anyone here in the long bar Pacific Northwest!). And you do have the finest saw that was ever designed and made by Stihl, the MS361. That is my all time favorite chainsaw.
I agree with you their, the 361 Stihl is an absolute cracker of a machine, and I use it far more than my 046.

I m not sure what Elms Realstone will have in Ontario? I know in England, they have English Elm, which grows with a twist and is nearly impossible to split, luckily our Wych Elm is more straight.
Wych Elm we have here, I'm not sure. Maybe American Elm? But I just got my Peterson's field guide to Eastern Trees in the mail yesterday, so I will let you know in due course.

Let us know when you figure out which elm is wytch elm.

[Hearth.com] New stove what to do? My Esse cookstove holds the coals over night and heats the upstairs half of my farm house, the kitchen next to it and the dining room. You could have nice gentle heat and a warm meal;). It has a built in damper which allows you to let more heat up the pipe or keep it in the stove. You can close the cook top lids on top to keep heat from radiating into the room as well. The heavy cast top produces a nice gentle heat. Maybe this would work for your kitchen.

For what you're doing I would have thought a Rayburn would have been an obvious choice as a cook stove/heating/hot water - solid fuel Aga with a different nameplate, and they do come in wood versions. IIRC they're a bit of a rip-off, but they do appear on eBay every now and again...

For what you're doing I would have thought a Rayburn would have been an obvious choice as a cook stove/heating/hot water - solid fuel Aga with a different nameplate, and they do come in wood versions. IIRC they're a bit of a rip-off, but they do appear on eBay every now and again...
pd27
Thank you for that, I willl look at this option also, much appreciated

View attachment 69329 My Esse cookstove holds the coals over night and heats the upstairs half of my farm house, the kitchen next to it and the dining room. You could have nice gentle heat and a warm meal;). It has a built in damper which allows you to let more heat up the pipe or keep it in the stove. You can close the cook to lids on top to keep heat from radiating into the room as well. The heavy cast top produces a nice gentle heat. Maybe this would work for your kitchen.

Charly, thank you for this, I actually have been seriously thinking about the exact same Esse as you, it would be ideal! It is a bit pricey here, but I might be able to persuade the wife, she is my boss! ;em
How long have you had this for ? Are you burning wood only and if so do you need to rekindle in the morning?
Is it made from Cast Iron or Steel?

Charly, thank you for this, I actually have been seriously thinking about the exact same Esse as you, it would be ideal! It is a bit pricey here, but I might be able to persuade the wife, she is my boss! ;em
How long have you had this for ? Are you burning wood only and if so do you need to rekindle in the morning?
Is it made from Cast Iron or Steel?
I have had it for one heating season. Yes I'm burning wood only using the coal grate set up. You can get the wood box for the stove which holds more wood , but then you have to shovel out the ashes. The coal set up has grates and a nice big ash pan below. I find that gives me enough wood volume to burn overnight and have coals left. The stove is cast iron and steel . Over 700 lbs but worth every penny. You can also get a hot water set up for the side. The coal grates are over an inch thick. Start up is super fast . I can tell you my chimney stayed super clean, amazing. Everyone who sees the stove remarks about the quality of the Esse. I went through Obadiah's here in the states for my Esse purchase. Good luck in what ever you decide.
Charlie

Thank you Charlie

Charlie, we looked at the price of the Esse, we were very interested in it, but where we live it would cost a little short of $6000, where as the Oslo would be $3400 and we could still cook a pot on it or boil a kettle. So due to that, we ruled the Esse out, but it sure is a lovely looking cook stove

Charlie, we looked at the price of the Esse, we were very interested in it, but where we live it would cost a little short of $6000, where as the Oslo would be $3400 and we could still cook a pot on it or boil a kettle. So due to that, we ruled the Esse out, but it sure is a lovely looking cook stove
I'm sure the Oslo will do you fine.

Mostly Elm, we got Dutch Elm disease 10 years ago, and I m left with an abundance.
The woods that are common locally are; Birch, Scots Pine, Larch, Douglas Fur, Beech and some Ash.
Oak does not grow here, we dont have the climate for it.
That's great you have an abundance of dead elm. I harvest some of that here as well, great stuff, burns like coal!

Status
Not open for further replies.