New Stove! First Stove! And it's outside :-)!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Your wife is right. Your current stove pipe chimney is kinda .... ah, ah, .... ugly. Lose all of the bends and tuck it into a less obtrusive location.

I know you are looking for ambience, but wouldn't that heat be cozy on a chilly evening or morning? Close in a portion of the deck with a screen room, maybe?

Interesting project. Could be super neat!

Think we have a plan! Cannot go up through the deck as the upstairs deck is half covered. The u covered portion is over the lower patio which has a nice aluminum waterproof under deck ceiling to dry in the entire lower patio, so cannot cut into that. It’s been a cool project, this is the last piece of the puzzle. Where I had the stove in the middle with the like going up the middle, worked great and put off tons of heat. Even though it’s open I think the ceiling helps keep the heat in. Exactly what we wanted, but the pipe showing up top and in the middle just doesn’t really vibe with the nice new setup.

If I can go in the corner and do something like this up that wall I think we’ll be in business. A wood stove down there has been my vision!

IMG_0639.png

How long/well would standard double-wall pipe hold up outside if I did not use the Class A anywhere and just went up the side of the deck?

Well, don't wanna burst ur bubble, but the whole thing seems kinda wonky to me. But, I like under the deck, and if it's covered and dry, what about just getting those Bromic ceramic heaters?

Well, don't wanna burst ur bubble, but the whole thing seems kinda wonky to me. But, I like under the deck, and if it's covered and dry, what about just getting those Bromic ceramic heaters?
Ambiance man, the ambiance. You don’t invite people over for a bourbon to sit underneath a heater lol!!

Reactions: kborndale
I have a new idea, and I like it!

I’m going to center the TV on that wall and mount the stove there. Run double wall stove pipe to the corner and into a ceiling box and then Class A chimney up through the above deck and then the roof above it. Pipe won’t even be noticed upstairs in an unused corner, it should really put off some heat in the “nook” there, and it’ll really look finished!

IMG_0695.jpeg

IMG_0693.jpeg

IMG_0690.jpeg

IMG_0691.jpeg

I have a new idea, and I like it!

I’m going to center the TV on that wall and mount the stove there. Run double wall stove pipe to the corner and into a ceiling box and then Class A chimney up through the above deck and then the roof above it. Pipe won’t even be noticed upstairs in an unused corner, it should really put off some heat in the “nook” there, and it’ll really look finished!

View attachment 325225

View attachment 325226

View attachment 325227

View attachment 325228
That's a good idea

Anything is possible if ya have the cash.

I’d put the stove in the corner on a diagonal. Would you need 2 ceiling boxes since your going through the deck then the roof above? I’m just wondering how that would work.

I tried in the corner, but you cannot really see the stove from anywhere in the sitting area. I like in the middle of the wall better. We thought about building a nice 2 story brick fireplace to the tune of $10-$15k but it'll block our view. Our backyard is all lit up at night and it just wouldn't be the same having a 15 ft by 8 foot wide structure anywhere on the deck. So even if this runs me $3k, I'm way ahead of the initial idea.

Plan would be double-wall stove pipe to first ceiling, then Class-A pipe from there.

I REALLY like the placement of the stove now. It'll make an awesome outdoor living room and should hold the heat in there pretty well too! Plus a "real" fire to look at! I think it'd be functional, plus a rather unique fire-feature to have!

Hidden little "man-cave" outdoor cabin feel down there would be pretty sweet!

Here's another option for pipe run, which would be cheaper too and not have to go up through 3 ceilings, only one.

TV will move and be centered on wall.

Either way, the Class A pipe and all hardware will all be painted black (or gutter match if I can find a way do paint SS in that color) to blend in with other downspouts/gutters, etc.

1.JPG

2.JPG

I like this better than the free standing version you had earlier.

The wasps will like the second pipe route better :p
Note that your TV might get (too?) hot.

• Haha
Reactions: Kustrud
I’d put the stove in the corner on a diagonal. Would you need 2 ceiling boxes since your going through the deck then the roof above? I’m just wondering how that would work.
No one ceiling box then just pass through insulation shield etc

Reactions: Dieselhead
I've heard that painting SS chimney pipe rarely comes out good but I've never tried. Maybe somebody else has some experience with that.

I tried in the corner, but you cannot really see the stove from anywhere in the sitting area. I like in the middle of the wall better. We thought about building a nice 2 story brick fireplace to the tune of $10-$15k but it'll block our view. Our backyard is all lit up at night and it just wouldn't be the same having a 15 ft by 8 foot wide structure anywhere on the deck. So even if this runs me $3k, I'm way ahead of the initial idea.

Plan would be double-wall stove pipe to first ceiling, then Class-A pipe from there.

I REALLY like the placement of the stove now. It'll make an awesome outdoor living room and should hold the heat in there pretty well too! Plus a "real" fire to look at! I think it'd be functional, plus a rather unique fire-feature to have!

Hidden little "man-cave" outdoor cabin feel down there would be pretty sweet!

Here's another option for pipe run, which would be cheaper too and not have to go up through 3 ceilings, only one.

TV will move and be centered on wall.

Either way, the Class A pipe and all hardware will all be painted black (or gutter match if I can find a way do paint SS in that color) to blend in with other downspouts/gutters, etc.

View attachment 325234

View attachment 325235
Go straight up in the corner chimney elbows are expensive and hurt draft. Then just box it out and paint it white

Reactions: nola mike
Go straight up in the corner chimney elbows are expensive and hurt draft. Then just box it out and paint it white
I agree, but I tried it there. You can’t see it at all when sitting there lol! Kinda defeats the purpose I’m going for….I really wish that would work though!

Depends on if they can go up the corner or not too, I would like to box it in there and it being a straight shot would draft better for sure!

Edit: I meant even with stove in center my first choice is straight up the corner.

First company comes out tomorrow, hopefully he can make the corner work. I could do it myself, but I just do not have the time right now!

Thought I might take a few in the forehead for that, but I'm a pyro too so keep it up. Hmmm, any considerations for having the chimney just go straight up, thru the roof, or anything to not detract the view?

Thought I might take a few in the forehead for that, but I'm a pyro too so keep it up. Hmmm, any considerations for having the chimney just go straight up, thru the roof, or anything to not detract the view?
Wife doesn't want it in the middle of upstairs wall! She's not helping make this easy either LOL! That is a great spot for the grill table though and then I'd have to find somewhere else to put it...

Wanted some feedback on another possible idea. I understand the 3-2-1 rule, but there is a gray area from my research and this is not a typical install....

First picture is as it is now, second picture shows below and third shows up top. I would frame out and build a finished wall. Run the pipe directly through that wall and then straight up on the far side of the deck. The pipe would terminate 3-4 feet (above head-high) above the upper deck railing. (We would really never be using the upper deck if having a fire on the lower). I'm not concerned about the draft either as I tried this simply with single wall pipe and it worked perfectly, plus the stove being "outside" pulls tons of air in.

There is no roof to be "3 feet above" and I would definitely be over the 2 foot rule above the deck and railing. The pipe would be well below the roof line. My questions is the horizonal distance from the pipe to the vertical brick wall of the house. This would be around 6 feet.

You can "legally" use a solo stove on a wooden deck....this would be much safer than that. Would this be to code??

I am now going to build the wall either way lol, but would REALLY like to put the stove right there. It'd be out of the weather and I think would look a lot better than the pipe going all the way up the brick wall on the outside to 10 feet above the roof line plus I would not have to cut into 3 levels of my house!

Thoughts?

1.jpg

3.JPG

4.JPG

Status
Not open for further replies.