New Jotul Rangeley questions

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
  • Super Cedar firestarters 30% discount Use code Hearth2024 Click here
Status
Not open for further replies.

jb4020

Hearth Supporter
Nov 21, 2009
SE PA
I believe this is my first post but i have been reading for quite some time. I have been burning with an older avalon pendelton into a class a chimney and while this was a fine stove it was too small for my needs. So after reading and looking for awhile i settled on the Jotul Rangeley and like it alot. My first question is about the milled steel top load door that has a silver color. After my break in fires i noticed its color starting to get a bluish tint to it i believe this is just from heating it up but is this normal? Secondly this stove is much different to run than my pendelton seemingly because its soo much larger. It seems to take a while to get up to 450 about 1 hour is this normal. Thanks alot for any help. Jason

Our Rangely stove top started off the same way. Now it has more of a brownish tinge. We have a large kettle for steam which we put on top and now have rings.
It does not look very nice and I do not know how it could be cleaned as it is a very rough surface. I guess it is just something we just have to live with, but are not very happy about.
Does anyone else have any other thoughts on this top loading plate or any other stove which is top loading ??

Don't know about the discoloring but wondering how much you guys use the top load feature verses the front door? I heard you can pack more in through the front?

We have not used the top loading feature at all yet. The temperatures have not been cold enough yet to load it right up. Will let you know hopefully soon, but right now we had a high of 10 degrees C.

I use it once i get the stove established but i have not had the stove very long. I grew up with vermont castings top loading stoves so i really like it. Seems like a very nice stove i cant wait to really get it goin on some cold days.

How long does it take you guys with the larger fireboxes (3 cu. ft. +/-) to get up to 400-500?

We are replacing our VC, and have loved the top loading. I just found out about the Jotul TL today, and it may be our new stove. Try steel wool to remove the stains.

jb4020 said:
I believe this is my first post but i have been reading for quite some time. I have been burning with an older avalon pendelton into a class a chimney and while this was a fine stove it was too small for my needs. So after reading and looking for awhile i settled on the Jotul Rangeley and like it alot. My first question is about the milled steel top load door that has a silver color. After my break in fires i noticed its color starting to get a bluish tint to it i believe this is just from heating it up but is this normal? Secondly this stove is much different to run than my pendelton seemingly because its soo much larger. It seems to take a while to get up to 450 about 1 hour is this normal. Thanks alot for any help. Jason

Mine has the same coloration on the stovetop and that's perfectly normal. As for taking a while to get to 450... try reducing the draft to about 1/2 when you reach 300, and it will usually start to heat up quick if you have good dry wood in it. I actually can get mine to cruise at 450 or less which makes us very warm & happy!

Status
Not open for further replies.