New homeowner with some questions

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
  • Super Cedar firestarters 30% discount Use code Hearth2024 Click here
Status
Not open for further replies.

sirxloin

Nov 29, 2011
Naples, ME
Hello pyros!

As the title states. I am a new home owner. I am 36, married, 1 and 3/4 kids, living in Maine and employeed in the Hearth industry. I have a feeling that some of my co-workers either belong or lurk this site. For aninimity purposes I will say I work for "Yodel"...

Onward,
My home was built in 1999. It came with a Regency I1200 installed. I am pretty sure that is the model. from the paperwork I have it looks as it was installed in 2008. The insert heat up the floor its on pretty good, but the rest of the house is chilly. If I pack it and turn the damper all the way down I can just about get a full overnight burn. If the blowers arent on, the thing doesnt put out any heat.

my plan off the bat was to burn this unit for the year and come summer, install a C350 Jotul. After some reading, I think I have what is called a prefab fireplace and if I could get a free standing stove in there I would be as happy as a clam. I could see a 602cb in there!

Here is a pic of my unit burning..

[Hearth.com] New homeowner with some questions

The glass is always dirty in the center. even kind of chunky...

Welcome!

What are your questions?

Well, I guess my questions are this. Do I have a prefab hearth/fireplace? Why is the center of my glass dirty? What would be my best option fo get heat out, not requiring electric blowers? Is that a Regency I1200? Is it a piece of junk?

Sorry no answers, just wanted to know your questions.

The big dogs will be along shortly to help, I am sure.

One thing I can say though; if your wood burning appliance is not dispensing heat, your firewood is the likely culprit.

We need pictures of the 3/4 kid

estang said:

He's posting from the delivery room. PUSH!!!!!

Regency is a good stove. Check the seal on the door but I don't think the stove is the problem.

As far as your expectation when it comes to heat, try aiming a floor fan at the stove to push the air around. I pack my stove and shut off the blower, but aim a floor fan from 20' away. I find I get the most even heat from this method, and the longest, cleanest burns.

Sirxloin, Welcome to the forum. I too have 1 and 3/4 kids. Congratulations!!! And congrats on the new house! What an exciting year for your family.

------btuser, LOL!!!! Good one!

A couple of things to add: 1. What is the square footage of the space you're trying to heat with that little baby. 2. Although it is a quality unit, that is a pretty small stove so you're going to have to be creative in how you burn in it. https://www.hearth.com/talk/threads/63883/ This thread was super helpful to me my when burning in a smaller insert.

I also would suspect that your wood is not as seasoned as it should be. Most of us have a rough first year. Hope that's helpful.

sirxloin said:
Well, I guess my questions are this. Do I have a prefab hearth/fireplace? Why is the center of my glass dirty? What would be my best option fo get heat out, not requiring electric blowers? Is that a Regency I1200? Is it a piece of junk?

The Regency I1200 is a fine little stove, but almost all inserts are going to perform better with the blower on, including the C350. Regency does make a Hearth Heater model that would do the job, with a hearth extension.

if you want more heat turn on the blower.....

Yes, turn the blower on and you'll get more heat. To get that heat to other rooms, place a small fan on the floor (not a pedestal), setting on low, blowing into the stove room. That sounds backwards but it will move that heat into the other rooms much faster than trying to blow the heat out of the stove room.

I didn't notice the part in your post about the blower. Turn that fan on. As long as the stove is above 350 that fan should be on.

Welcome
I use my stove blowers to help regulate heat, If I need more , turn on the fan.
If the house is getting to warm, fan off.
Nice fire in there :)

btuser said:
estang said:

He's posting from the delivery room. PUSH!!!!!

Regency is a good stove. Check the seal on the door but I don't think the stove is the problem.

As far as your expectation when it comes to heat, try aiming a floor fan at the stove to push the air around. I pack my stove and shut off the blower, but aim a floor fan from 20' away. I find I get the most even heat from this method, and the longest, cleanest burns.

Best post of the day.... :lol:

No answers . . . just a welcome to the forum . . . and a question . . . to what does the license plate you have pictured in your avatar belong?

Hey, thanks for the welcome.

That plate is for my 57 Chevy pickup truck. Im one of those guys who drives around in a primer black, very loud, slammed hot rod. I dont get up your way much, but am aound Portland and the lakes area.

these guys know way more than me about the burning habits of these newer stoves but the glass blackening and overall performance would point towards green wood- a good hot fire will sometimes clean the glass though- another problem could be that your not running your stove hot enough. Good luck!

sirxloin said:
Hey, thanks for the welcome.

That plate is for my 57 Chevy pickup truck. Im one of those guys who drives around in a primer black, very loud, slammed hot rod. I dont get up your way much, but am aound Portland and the lakes area.

Thought it might be something you put together yourself . . . guy in the department here enjoys putting together hot rods. He bought a Willys body and painstakingly put everything together . . . currently he is building a pick up rat rod for his wife . . . or at least he says it is for his wife. ;)

I don't konw much about inserts or your insert in particular, but sometimes black glass is caused by air leaks in the gasket around the glass. In this case, however, I don't see how black glass in the middle of the window would be the result of an air leak at the edge. Another problem might be the airwash is blocked. Maybe you can clear the tubes that deliver air to the top of the glass to get more uniform air flow (I am assuming there is such a thing on your stove.)

Our regency glass covers with soot on occasion when the fire starts to burn out.

I have observed this on occasion when we first purchased the insert. When the heat of the unit is starting to drop fast and the blower is on, which also helps reduce the temp of the unit, the coals are producing smoke and some gas which instead of rising quick, slows and darkens the glass.

The instruction manual only mentions to clean with a damp paper towel or like item. Not how often or when.
I think the instructions were lacking in some area, especially in cleaning the glass.

If you do not clean the glass regularly, like when the unit cools down after ever big burn, you will find that the soot has built up and is baked on. At that point use a razor blade tool like the Stanley Window Scraper to remove the heavy crude, and wipe off with a damp paper towel.

The short answer is to clean the glass after every burn when the glass cools.

Status
Not open for further replies.