New Hearthstone Heritage burns way too fast

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
The soapstone has a Low heat transference rate. Soapstone might be good if you're at home at all times feeding it throughout the day. The Hearthstone Soapstone is beautiful Stove and certainly a conversation piece.

Yes, feeding it all day. I wouldnt feel all that bad about it if everyone else had to feed theirs too LOL

Reactions: VirginiaIron
Ha! I have experience with both softwoods and hardwoods. Now realize that by definition hardwoods are anything deciduous which includes cottonwood and poplar so you really need to be more specific with the question. I find zero difference with startup times for hardwood and softwoods of similar densities.

I sold the hearthstone after running about 30 cords through it. It worked as advertised. I would not call soapstone a performance enhancement as it most often caused me to be colder than I wanted to be while it was warming up. Very high flue temps all the time as webby mentions but a very clean flue. What I disliked most was that the hinge and door latch hardware was rapidly wearing and not replaceable without a full stove tear down. My upgrade to the BK also came with the phenomenal increase in available burn rates so that I can get 30 hour burn times.

I read about your latch 'adventures'......next stove definitely wont be a soapstone one!

even burning hardwood the max burn time drops down to about 8 hrs as we push the stove for higher stovetop temperature,

Ah but you see, then you "pushed" the stove and increased the burn rate manually. The result is a burn time that can no longer be called the "maximum" burn time. You could just as easily have let the house cool down by utilizing the actual max burn time. Very confusing. Maximum burn time is fully independent of the needed burn rate to keep your house warm. That is why we have things called minimum burn time and burn time at medium output. All come from the human's ability to adjust the burn rate with that magical lever.

Reactions: VirginiaIron
New stove burns a full firebox in 4 hours with air intake closed,

This is the problem. Has nothing to do with house size or exterior temperature.

Minimum burn rate = maximum burn time.

Last edited:
I had the Phoenix for 10 years. My setup of 24' of insulated liner drafted like a jet engine. I had a turn damper and almost always used it. I got 8-9 till all that were left were restart coals. Stove was still warm of course.

Like others have said lots of heat up the chimney. Only had to clean pipe every two years!!!!

To get max heat like many stoves it needs dry big pieces of wood.

Reactions: Highbeam
I read about your latch 'adventures'.....next stove definitely wont be a soapstone one!
Don't write all soapstones off; The Woodstock stone cats are well-built, and I've only been loading the 1.5 cu.ft. Keystone twice a day for the last couple of weeks. Despite marginal insulation and air-sealing, the house stays 67-72. >>

This is the problem. Has nothing to do with house size or exterior temperature.

Minimum burn rate = maximum burn time.
Burn time can be maximized by damping down the air intake and damping down the stack damper, assuming that a stack damper has been installed. But the fire has to have reached a certain temperature and the wood has to have been reduced by the fire to a certain condition before damping down. That temperature and the burnoff condition of the wood depend on the species and seasoning (moisture content).

If the object is consistent heat, then the fire cannot be allowed to run to the maximum burn time because the stove will begin to cool even though hot live coals remain. The same applies if the object is ability to restoke from hot live coals.

With my 80k max BTU Hearthstone Mansfield, I maintain a base of hot live coals at all times. That means I restoke at a stove top temperature of about 200 degrees. At that temperature, the coals are in a condition such that no kindling is necessary. The new wood ignites within two or three minutes. The stove top hits about 550 degrees and the outside of the wood is red hot within about 15 minutes. Flames are intense. At that point, I shut the air intake damper and the stack damper. The flames change to swirly. Eventually, all the wood becomes intense red and the flames disappear. If I packed the firebox, I will get 6-8 hours until the stovetop drops again to about 200 degrees. I kept a log for several months last winter.

So, there will always be some temperature yo-yo effect whether you allow the fire to wind down to the point of requiring kindling to restoke or do as I do, keeping the stove top in the 200-550 degree range. (I hate to refire from kindling because of the long time to achieve stove top temperature with the soapstone. The room temperature of the area that I heat with the stove hangs in the range of 72-74 degrees, which is more consistent than if I allowed the fire to run to maximum burn time and mostly gray ash. Average temperature is a function of the stove BTU output. I've not found a way to fire the stove at, say 50%. The Mansfield is probably too big for my application, even though I pull the heat through a return into a forced air system to the rest of the house. The need for someone to be present to restoke at most every eight hours is a disadvantage, but consistent room temperature would not be as important if the house was vacant for longer periods.

Final facts: my flue is 35 feet and I burn a mix of seasoned and unseasoned white ash and white oak (say, one big stick of unseasoned wood mixed with seasoned). I installed the stack damper in the first season of the Mansfield because the super draft was eating wood faster than I could split it. That is why I began to experiment with mixing unseasoned with seasoned in the firebox. I don't even want to get into moisture content because it ranges so widely with "seasoned" wood. The important thing is that I get near zero deposits in the flue. I've also run a Vermont Castings Resolute Acclaim for 25 years. It's a great little stove but an entirely different experience than the Hearthstone.

Reactions: Highbeam
Soapstone is a marvelous material.
Great for thermal mass, slowly releases its heat.
Most people don't want thermal mass in a woodstove.
They want quick heat.
Can't have both.
Ideal stuff for a masonry heater tho.

Final facts: my flue is 35 feet and I burn a mix of seasoned and unseasoned white ash and white oak (say, one big stick of unseasoned wood mixed with seasoned). I installed the stack damper in the first season of the Mansfield because the super draft was eating wood faster than I could split it. That is why I began to experiment with mixing unseasoned with seasoned in the firebox. I don't even want to get into moisture content because it ranges so widely with "seasoned" wood. The important thing is that I get near zero deposits in the flue. I've also run a Vermont Castings Resolute Acclaim for 25 years. It's a great little stove but an entirely different experience than the Hearthstone.

That's a tall stack. I would use a damper too. Do you have a flue thermometer? If so, how has closing the stove pipe damper affected the flue temps vs the stove top temps? What are your normal peak stove top temps vs flue temp at that time?