Need Solar panel controller recomendation.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bad Wolf

Minister of Fire
Jun 13, 2008
Eastern CT
I have 6 HW solar panels I got from a friend. His electrics were toast so I need a new controller. I'd like to get one with a digital readout so I'd actually know what the temps are.

Any recomendations?

Thanks
Greg H

I have seen them as low as $125 with a digital readout. I it is called a Suntec or something like that. I think you can see it on ebay. It has a relay that will control a pump. More sophisticated ones may have a second relay and more input temp sensors to monitor more locations. I have a Tekmar differential thermostat, a Thermomax one that does energy calculation, and a new Resol model that has multiple relays, sensors and date logging capability.

Thanks Steam
I found a STECA 301 U on Ebay for $127 that looks pretty good. How far up the side of the tank did you mount your sensors and did you use immersion wells?

Thanks
Greg H

Status
Not open for further replies.