My sloped woodyard

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Jun 1, 2019
MN
Okay, so calling it a "woodyard" is a stretch, but it's what I've got, so it's going to have to work.

It's a part of our side yard that I've fenced off from the rest of the yard so that the dogs can have their way with it. We don't use it for anything, and there's no real grass. It's also hidden from view from the neighbor's yard and the street.

Y9a75zz.jpg

I'm thinking the best spot for wood logistically would be to the right of the gate as you look at it here.

GgFaGmj.jpg

For reference, the canoe paddle is 60" long. From the gate opening to the corner on the right is just over seven feet.

z8meeKr.jpg

My thought is that I can make a series of six and a half foot (or so) racks extending from the gate opening on the left to the fence on the right. I don't want the wood leaning on the fence, so the racks will need to hold the wood independently.

The issue is that this spot has an obvious slope from left to right that you can see in the pictures. It's less apparent though that the spot also slopes moderately from the gate back down to where I'm standing taking the pictures.

How would you deal with this slope and create a stable series of stacks?

My initial idea is to make something similar to the No Tools Firewood Rack, but using t-posts on the ends and 2" pavers with holes in them instead of cinderblocks so that I can adjust for the slope with the number of pavers. I can also move some dirt to make a flat spot for the pavers to sit.

I'm open to any suggestions here, though. The only limits are that I'm not building a retaining wall or putting down footers.

Why not go the other side where it looks to
be a little bit more on the level ?

Install your rack perpendicular to the side fence, i.e. parallel to the gate fence?

Install your rack perpendicular to the side fence, i.e. parallel to the gate fence?

Sorry, I must not have been clear in my earlier post. I intend to put the racks running parallel to the fence with the gate, and perpendicular to the fence running on the right.

Okay, so calling it a "woodyard" is a stretch, but it's what I've got, so it's going to have to work.

It's a part of our side yard that I've fenced off from the rest of the yard so that the dogs can have their way with it. We don't use it for anything, and there's no real grass. It's also hidden from view from the neighbor's yard and the street.

Y9a75zz.jpg

I'm thinking the best spot for wood logistically would be to the right of the gate as you look at it here.

GgFaGmj.jpg

For reference, the canoe paddle is 60" long. From the gate opening to the corner on the right is just over seven feet.

z8meeKr.jpg

My thought is that I can make a series of six and a half foot (or so) racks extending from the gate opening on the left to the fence on the right. I don't want the wood leaning on the fence, so the racks will need to hold the wood independently.

The issue is that this spot has an obvious slope from left to right that you can see in the pictures. It's less apparent though that the spot also slopes moderately from the gate back down to where I'm standing taking the pictures.

How would you deal with this slope and create a stable series of stacks?

My initial idea is to make something similar to the No Tools Firewood Rack, but using t-posts on the ends and 2" pavers with holes in them instead of cinderblocks so that I can adjust for the slope with the number of pavers. I can also move some dirt to make a flat spot for the pavers to sit.

I'm open to any suggestions here, though. The only limits are that I'm not building a retaining wall or putting down footers.
I like your idea of using 2" pavers to get to level.

I also have a slope to my entire situation, and stacking is an answer. I still do a lot of grading to get the "footers" level, but stacking works.

Once you have this done, you' may have some issues with erosion and settling, as water and gravity will always be working.

as far as your log yard being on the sideling- don't spend your hard earned money on firewood racking and blocks and whatnot. . . find some free pallets somewhere and make it work . it will be ok . trust me . you can do it and it will be free. u can even use a couple pieces of firewood to make the pallets level if need be . it will be ok

My racks are on an incline or decline, I leveled pallets with pavers and stack on pallets.

You could sink some 4x4 posts on each end then run your bottom rails level so they would sit on the ground on one end and have a gap on the fence end. If you want to get fancy connect the 4x4’s make a floor like a deck put a sheet steel roof to match the slope of the fence more like a wood shed. Nice having a roof over the wood.

I store about 4 cords on a slope. I use pallets as the base, leveled with cinder blocks. Works great. Nothing has ever fallen over.

You've got the right idea; Run the rows like you said, parallel with the gate fence with that no-tool rack.

holz hausen
i was just going to say that. I stacked on a pretty steep slope. The other thing that I have done is just do a criss cross pattern angled in on the ends and load it up

I'd just set some cinder blocks in on the low side to give a level base to start from.

Don't just set them on the (unlevel) ground though - set them in so they are level themselves first.

You might need to re-level things after you empty your racks off the first time, things will settle into the ground some over a year or two.

I would likely stay away from pallets. They are OK, but I hate dealing with rotting ones and all the nails they can leave behind or you would need to deal with if they deteriorate. If you can get and keep them well off the ground, then I would say yes.