Going to be a lot of study in this forum!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Oct 26, 2023
sw va
We've been in this house for 3 months....still a thousand projects to do.
Got the wood stove installed a week ago...that was a priority for me and I began that
process the day we closed on the house.
I'll need wood storage outside of course and so many great designs/executions here in this forum and
I plan to study them all. Like many I have a wife to contend with (and yes she's ordered shades for that window already) :)
But where we moved from I used this firewood rack for 'immediate' use. I can easily put up a long long weekends
worth inside. It is a custom rack I had a local welding company whip up.
Outside the wall where this rack is I've got a couple of the Amazon racks.
I was surprised how much they hold. It's under a deck which is under an eave so this handfull of wood stays dry.
Around the corner in the yard about 25 feet way is where I'll scheme my wood shed.
Wood burning is my pleasure. We've got a duel fuel heat pump and propane space heaters on some walls, and fireplace
logs also on propane. The wood stove is backup to a backup and supplemental source, so I don't know how big of
a wood shed I'll need....studying :)

custom rack.jpg amazon racks.jpg

Last edited:
The amount of wood storage needed will be in proportion to the amount of enjoyment derived from burning wood. If you find yourselves gravitating to the wood stove room on cold days, wood consumption may go up considerably. That said, I don't like storing a lot of wood in the house. We stock up a wood storage box on the covered porch for this purpose.

Congrats. Outside of my professional wheelhouse so please take with a grain of salt but, I assume you've verified all clearances required?
There are others on this site that could accurately rattle off the proper clearances for that model stove off the top of their heads. I could be wrong but along with @Eman85 above, things look a little tight, especially if you add some type of drape or shade to that window.

Reactions: MedicineMan4040
I knew you'd know. 👍

Congrats. Outside of my professional wheelhouse so please take with a grain of salt but, I assume you've verified all clearances required?
There are others on this site that could accurately rattle off the proper clearances for that model stove off the top of their heads. I could be wrong but along with @Eman85 above, things look a little tight, especially if you add some type of drape or shade to that window.
Seriously appreciate your concern.
We had a woodstove professional install our system, over 100 installs in the last year/had to wait 3 months to get him here. We're beyond corner clearance by 1.5 inches.
The drapes (actually double cellular black out binds with side tracks) are ordered, and will be inset well into the window frame cavity.

What type of floor is that? Surprised at no floor protection in front of the stove, usually required for insurance at the least.
I promise State Farm likes the floor (we put porcelain tile on the whole floor/over a concrete slab).....There is a wool/jute rug 50 inches away under a coffee table. The rug has been sprayed with fire retardant....might help if an ember gets on a serious roll.

I've been impressed with your desire to do things right, along with balancing a wife's reluctance to have a wood stove at all. Plans changed quite a bit and you stuck with it. This has been an interesting story. I'm glad it has a happy ending.

I've been impressed with your desire to do things right, along with balancing a wife's reluctance to have a wood stove at all. Plans changed quite a bit and you stuck with it. This has been an interesting story. I'm glad it has a happy ending.
Begreen you've been with me from the very beginning! You've put as much thought into as we have.
We still haven't decided on the chase but that pic you posted of an electrical/plumbing chase really calmed her down.
Seriously that one pic was worth a thousand of my words.
We have found a 'kitchen' pantry at Home Depot which will slot on one side and a what I call knick knack shelf that will
slot on the other side. The two proper chase walls will probably get pseudo doors.
So new here the chimney pipe is the only thing in the room right now haha!

Reactions: ctreitzell
We're beyond corner clearance by 1.5 inches.
Nice. Well done. Like the ceramic too.
Guess I didn't follow earlier threads on this. Since it sounds like you had @begreen along for the ride previously. You're in good hands.

Edit: Wow. I just went back and sped through the other threads. I now remember seeing the original with the inside/outside chimney questions. I hadn't followed since. You really have come on a long journey. Nicely done.

Last edited: