My new Englander 30-NCH is smoking

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
In NM it should be drier, but it depends on whether it was green or not when cut, how long ago was it split/stacked and the species of wood. A lot of wood sellers say it's seasoned if they split it and dump it in a big pile the month before. It's important to ask many questions before buying wood and helpful if you take a few random splits off the truck for testing before they dump the load.

In NM it should be drier, but it depends on whether it was green or not when cut, how long ago was it split/stacked and the species of wood. A lot of wood sellers say it's seasoned if they split it and dump it in a big pile the month before. It's important to ask many questions before buying wood and helpful if you take a few random splits off the truck for testing before they dump the load.

Normally we use Cedar wood, once in a great while it'll be Pinon wood. And recently the ones i got from random sellers were dry by the looks of it.

When dry those species burn hot and quickly. Take one of your current thicker splits and resplit it. Then press the freshly cut face of wood up against your cheek. Does it feel cool or cold and damp? If you bang two splits together do the go thud or ring with a musical tone?

Im having gasket issues on the Newer version of that stove. Going to try the dollar bill test once it cools down ,but its burning too hot even with the air al the way down. I notice some gaps between the gasket and the stove.

Reactions: kennyp2339
Im having gasket issues on the Newer version of that stove. Going to try the dollar bill test once it cools down ,but its burning too hot even with the air al the way down. I notice some gaps between the gasket and the stove.
Bingo!!! to the OP - when the stove is cold, take a dollar bill and close it half way through the door, make sure the latch is shut and try to pull the dollar out, there should be resistance, enough to feel like it will *almost rip. Also take a metal strait edge and hold it against the front face of the stove body with the door open to make sure there is no warping of the steel fire box were the gasket rests, there were a few threads here recently that had an issue with miss aligned doors and stuff.

IM going to call the englander help line, i only used the stove as few times. I will do some checking today.

Found out my door on my Summer Heat 50 SHSS is bowed. The stove itself has a slight bow side to side, top and bottom . But the door is bowed out in the middle top and bottom. That big beautiful viewing door apparently has a design flaw. Anyone know what englander customer service hours are?