My new Englander 30-NCH is smoking

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Jdcly

Nov 15, 2018
New Mexico
Hello, i just bought me a brand new Englander wood stove 30 nch (i believe) and got it installed. Went to fire it up and couple minutes later small smoke came out from bottom of door gasket and also from where the gasket butt ends meet.

Does anyone know how i can fix this problem? so i can start my fire back up.

Thank you friends

First check to make sure that the baffle board is laying flat on the secondary tubes and all the way to the rear with no gaps.

How is this stove vented? Describe the flue system from the stove to the chimney cap including any turns, pipe size, etc..

Where is the stove located in relation to the other floors in the house? Basement, 1st floor?

First check to make sure that the baffle board is laying flat on the secondary tubes and all the way to the rear with no gaps.

How is this stove vented? Describe the flue system from the stove to the chimney cap including any turns, pipe size, etc..

Where is the stove located in relation to the other floors in the house? Basement, 1st floor?

Hello, when you say the baffle board im assuming you are talking about the "Fiber Board" and if so i read that in the manual where you are suppose to have them together with no gaps and moved all the way to the back just as you stated.

The way we have it vented is just a straight shot up thru my cathedral ceiling and out to the chimney. We started with 6" double wall piping to the support box, and lastly the chimney pipe is 6" triple wall with the cap on the end.

I have a double wide mobile home and it just sits about mid area of the home.

I hope this answers my dilemma, any other questions or tips will greatly be appreciated. TIA

Total overall chimney height?

Was it checked for obstruction?

Is the top cap free of plugging?

"Gasket butt ends meet" , where is this??

"Through ceiling and out to chimney" does that mean it turns or through ceiling and straight up rest of the way?

Total overall chimney height?

Was it checked for obstruction?

Is the top cap free of plugging?

"Gasket butt ends meet" , where is this??

"Through ceiling and out to chimney" does that mean it turns or through ceiling and straight up rest of the way?

Hello, the total overall chimney height is 3ft. and no obstruction. We verified before putting cap on the end.

The gasket butts im referring to is on the inside door, the ends meet between the door hinges.

There are no turns in my piping, just straight shot up.

During my initial fire start i checked all along the piping for smoke leaks and didn't see any. It was all coming out of the top at the cap as it should. Good smoke there.

New stoves will smoke inside the house. It’s cool, it will stop. Smells like burning paint right?

I’m sure the owners manual warns you of break in smoke, fumes, and stink from a new stove. Expect it to stink every time it gets hotter so open a window and get it over with!

Congratulations on the new stove. It’s a heating beast.

New stoves will smoke inside the house. It’s cool, it will stop. Smells like burning paint right?

I’m sure the owners manual warns you of break in smoke, fumes, and stink from a new stove. Expect it to stink every time it gets hotter so open a window and get it over with!

Congratulations on the new stove. It’s a hearing beast.

Hello, that's what i thought it was but as it was burning i did see the stove top burning the paint and we all smelled smoke in the house.

I turned off all the lights and used a flashlight to take a closer look, it was leaking smoke thru the door top and bottom sections as well as the door gasket butt ends - by door hinges. Not alot of smoke but just a small stream coming out.

So i ask if any of you might know how i can fix this issue?

Do i have to buy some kind of sealant to apply to door gasket area, replace the door gasket altogether, warranty issue, OR take stove back?

Thanks

The door gasket is held in place with black silicone. It was probably just burning off.

Reactions: blacktail
The door gasket is held in place with black silicone. It was probably just burning off.

I wish that was the case but it was definitely the smell of smoke. Nothing of a rubbery smell.

Will if im right about the smoke leaking thru might there be something i can try to resolve that?

Sounds like the flue system may be on the short side and perhaps the house is too tight and maybe had an exhaust appliance (kitchen or bath fan, dryer, etc.) running? Try opening a nearby window an inch and see if that helps.

This is a new chimney install correct? What is the total height of the flue system from stove top to chimney cap?

Will i know my house has leaks i figure having that will compensate for natural draft into the house. Also no exhaust appliance was on during the fire. I will try opening a window 1" this morning to see if i get different results.

The chimney is all brand new and a little over 10ft in height from stove top to chimney cap.

The chimney is about 5 feet too short. This stove was tested and designed on a 15' flue system. It may run ok on a little less, but not 33% less. I would add at least 3' more chimney pipe. It will need a brace at 5' above the roof.

The chimney is about 5 feet too short. This stove was tested and designed on a 15' flue system.

So that is the cause of the smoke leaking thru the door gasket area?

Also i attached a picture here, I'm not sure what's the purpose of this but i had it in place during the fire. Does it stay in place or do i remove it during fires?

Attachments

• My new Englander 30-NCH is smoking
    20181118_102237.jpg
    178.2 KB · Views: 153
That is the ash port plug. It stays in place except for cleaning. Clean out all the ash around it before replacing. You don't want air leakage there.

It sounds like the smoke coming out of the stove is because of negative draft. With good draft the chimney is pulling air through the stove creating a slight vacuum inside the firebox. That prevents any smoke leakage.
https://woodheat.org/all-about-chimneys.html

Try taking a hair dryer and blow hot air above the baffle for about 5 minutes to start the chimney drafting, then make a small kindling fire with the nearby window cracked open.

Does the house have an AC system with supply vents up high on the walls?

I have an AC down draft unit above the house. I duct taped the vent which sits on the top ceiling, to seal it off. But not covered the AC unit just yet.
Openings up high can contribute to negative pressure in the house at floor level. High vents and unsealed ceiling lighting cans are prime suspects.

That is the ash port plug. It stays in place except for cleaning. Clean out all the ash around it before replacing. You don't want air leakage there.

It sounds like the smoke coming out of the stove is because of negative draft. With good draft the chimney is pulling air through the stove creating a slight vacuum inside the firebox. That prevents any smoke leakage.

Try taking a hair dryer and blow hot air above the baffle for about 5 minutes to start the chimney drafting, then make a small kindling fire with the nearby window cracked open.

Last night when i built the fire, i watched it with door open few minutes then as it got to "burn zone" i closed the door after adding few more wood. A tiny bit of smoke came out but got sucked back into the stove. But when ever i opened the door i didn't see smoke coming out the door much.

So after door closed i left air damper fully open and when fire got big i closed it halfway then the huge fire kinda went away. Until i opened the damper fully again then the fire got big as before.

So after door closed i left air damper fully open and when fire got big i closed it halfway then the huge fire kinda went away. Until i opened the damper fully again then the fire got big as before.
If you are certain that the wood is fully seasoned, then this sounds typical for weak draft. Otherwise it could be a combo of partially seasoned wood and weak draft.

If you are certain that the wood is fully seasoned, then this sounds typical for weak draft. Otherwise it could be a combo of partially seasoned wood and weak draft.

Yeah from this area i just bought wood from people who go chopping on weekends. Not the seasoned wood you would buy from local home depot store.

And my chimney is protruding out from roof about 3ft, if that is good?

You could be dealing with multiple issues. If the wood moisture is high, nothing is going to help much besides drying out the wood. Depending on the species this can take a year or two. Get some known dry wood, like some 2x4 cut offs and try a fire with them.

The amount the chimney protrudes from the roof just has to comply with the 10-3-2 rule, it does not assure proper draft. That is a stove spec.

Last edited:
You could be dealing with multiple issues. If the wood moisture is high, nothing is going to help much besides drying out the wood. Depending on the species this can take a year or two. Get some known dry wood, like some 2x4 cut offs and try a fire with them.

The amount the chimney protrudes from the roof just has to comply with the 10-3-2 rule, it does not depend on assuring proper draft. That is a stove spec.

Thank you all this info, i greatly appreciate it. I'll start with good dry wood and see what the outcome is

Keep in mind, I bought a lot of wood and all claim it to be seasoned dry wood and I have yet to actually get wood that is dry. Most I buy still require another 2 years of seasoning before its usable.

You might have better luck in your area... Only way to tell is to test it.

Reactions: Jdcly
Keep in mind, I bought a lot of wood and all claim it to be seasoned dry wood and I have yet to actually get wood that is dry. Most I buy still require another 2 years of seasoning before its usable.

You might have better luck in your area... Only way to tell is to test it.

Yeah im gonna stock up after this winter and shelter it for next year. Might need to buy a moisture tester as well.

My area almost rarely didn't get any rain so cold i assume my area has pretty good seasoned wood?