My name says it all Please help!! Englander insert

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
  • Super Cedar firestarters 30% discount Use code Hearth2024 Click here
Status
Not open for further replies.

confused dude

Hearth Supporter
Nov 13, 2009
Ny
I am really hoping someone can help me out!! I just received my englander wood burning insert and all materials claim min height is 22 1/2 inches, no problem I figure so I order it from HD and wait 2 weeks......now stove is here nice too but...........I need 30 inches to install the darn thing!!! That is minimum to get a 6 inch pipe on it!
Now theres a chance im an idiot! But the vent seems like it should be further back too! With the faceplate on the stove vent hole starts about 3 1/2 inches from the front mount plate...now im am no pro but how do I get an elbow on there to vent the darn thing? I have 26 1/2 height which is 4 more than the listed minimum! Any suggestions?

What model did you get?
Can you install it & then pull the liner & adapter
down into the flue collar from the inside,
after you remove the baffle?

What did they say when you called that 800 number on the front of the manual?

No that will not work however after reading more on here it seems I can use an off set box for my insert! I just really wish HD or Englander would tell you that this is needed based on thier stove dimensions...I have never seen a fireplace that would have the immediate clearance to go up just 3 inches in from the face! So looks like I have to sink another $150 or so to make this work!! Sorry just a bit upset as I would have considered other options had the HD or manufacturers sites been more informative!

confused dude said:
No that will not work however after reading more on here it seems I can use an off set box for my insert! I just really wish HD or Englander would tell you that this is needed based on thier stove dimensions...I have never seen a fireplace that would have the immediate clearance to go up just 3 inches in from the face! So looks like I have to sink another $150 or so to make this work!! Sorry just a bit upset as I would have considered other options had the HD or manufacturers sites been more informative!

Just another reason to go to a reputable hearth shop for projects like this.
Nothing against HD, as I'm on a first name basis with most of the people
at the store nearest to me, but answering technical questions are definitely
one of the better services they offer...

Yea I hear you on that...problem is the one any where close to me is a freaking joke....."You can run black stove pipe right to the top of your chimney to save money" REALLY so thats where that stands!!!

Im near Orange county...the ones I find on the web are $165.00 A bit steep....but I have my feelers out for a cheaper well made one that I can get pronto as the cold is here!!

instead of big box stores and the web to find your answers, ever try a hearth retailing proffesional? Regency has an offset adapter that gives a 4" offset and retails for about $100 bucks with tax. Try a Regency dealer. Go to www.regency-fire.com and use a dealer locator

I had the same issue with my Englander insert which I ordered from Lowes. For some reason they are designed with the outlet centered on the insert instead of near the back and you are right...it doesn't leave enough clearance in a standard fireplace to install it with the surround plates (which force it to sit even farther forward on the hearth). The insert isn't that deep in the first place, almost like its designed for zero clearance or tiny fireplaces. After discussing it with my installer, I decided to just place it farther back into the fireplace like a stove and leave the surround plates off. It's actually worked out fine, and I think I get more heat from it that way. I do have a block-off plate installed at the damper though.

An offset box is really what you need for this installation, like Franks said. Start looking for one that will work for you!

So your stove pipe runs straight up from the stove through the damper then? I had thought about this but figured it may be unsafe if the creasote ran straight down on top of the fiberboard in the top of the stove. If not then it may be an otion!

Well, as far as I know, you would rather have it burn off then accumulate somewhere. If the insert was bigger, with the opening further to the rear, it would be hooked up like that anyway. You only use elbows or offsets if it's necessary for clearance. They also affect your draft which may or may not be a problem depending on your chimney height and configuration.

Ok I did not think about it that way but makes sense! I am thinking about the offset but I need it to connect to rigid pipe rather than the flex stuff! At least I have a few options to consider! There is always the tear down the fireplace option but thats last on the list! I am just angry at the fact that the info they give you on the site for the stove is incorrect! They claim a 22 1/2 height minimum and as you stated that would be impossible with the placement of the vent on top!

Status
Not open for further replies.