Mirror in the back yard to monitor chimney smoke

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
  • Super Cedar firestarters 30% discount Use code Hearth2024 Click here
Status
Not open for further replies.
brogsie said:
[quote author="RenovationGeorge" The next step is a wireless kit that sticks on your chimney cap, and measures smoke density and temperature, with a display that sits next to your easy chair.

I'll take one George. What's your web site?[/quote]

Thanks Brogsie, I'll get back to you when I have some stock. :)

Jags said:
LLigetfa said:
I can see my chimney cap from the upstairs bathroom window. If I put a mirror in my back yard the wildlife would get territorial and want to fight the image in the mirror.

Can't----Stop----Myself

So are you saying that you would be a threatening sight to a chipmunk?

***runs and ducks under desk***

Thanks Jags!

I had a similar urge, and am glad to see someone else supply the humor. :lol:

I was going to say "Thank Goodness there's not a PC out there!"

Jags said:
LLigetfa said:
I can see my chimney cap from the upstairs bathroom window. If I put a mirror in my back yard the wildlife would get territorial and want to fight the image in the mirror.

Can't----Stop----Myself

So are you saying that you would be a threatening sight to a chipmunk?

***runs and ducks under desk***
The image they see is their own. Have never seen a chipmunk in winter but the flying squirrels come quite regularly.

i use to check the flue all the frekin time with the old stove. it was disapointing cuz the thing didnt work right.. now with bk i stopped looking just bout completely. ill maybe take a glance when i go outside. but its just always nothing. oh yeah and if i put a mirror to check smoke in my yard id be made fun of by my wife and all my buddy's by that like crazy lol. they already make fun of me cuz of all the wood i have and the obsession with wood i have

great! thanks a lot!!! just add this to the list of things i have learned i should be doing...looking at the chimney smoke! about the only time i look at the chimney is when i'm cleaning it. i always thought that if there was a roaring sound like a windstorm or locomotive, go out and look at the chimney first!!hahaLOL

Ok , Certainly not saying anyone is obsessed. Guess a bad choice of words. Also understand it can depend on what kind of stove you have, but I dont adjust my stove by how much smoke is coming out my chimney. I adjust my stove by stove temperature and by outside temps. I rarely even smell smoke inside or outside my house. I dont want to pollute anymore than the next guy, but I run my stove as efficient as I can at all times and if it smokes now and then, so be it.

The things we do. The insanity of it all.

Treacherous said:
I'm obsessed... I've thought about putting a webcam on it myself.

That's really not a bad idea........ Have you looked around to see what might work?

Shari

I use these at my cabin but don't have one that is pointed at stack. These Foscam cameras work pretty well and also have night-vision capabilities.

http://foscam.us/foscam-fi8908w-wireless-ip-camera-pan-tilt-wpa-audio-(white)-p-41.html

You can usually pick them up off of ebay for $75-$85. Watch out for clones they may even be similarly priced. Standalone with full pan and tilt.

Shari said:
Treacherous said:

That's really not a bad idea........ Have you looked around to see what might work?

Shari

For me that's just taking it too far! Anymore I toss wood in, get it hot, get it settled in and go about my day. My wife would probably try to commit me if I did that. :lol:

Well, having a camera on it might be going too far but in my case I am "Master Burner" in our house. Hubby doesn't do too well so if he could easily see what's happening with the chimney he might be better prepared to correct the situation when I am not home.

I like to see if there is smoke coming out of my chimney too. When the sun is out I can see the shadow of the house including the chimney and any smoke that might be coming out of it. I work from home and last year I had my office in a room on the back side of the house where I could see the shadow. I moved my office to the front of the house and was heart broken when I realized that I wouldn't be able to see that shadow while I was working anymore. It was always a good indicator of if the stove was burning right. From watching the shadow I could tell if the stove was running right or not without having to go down to the basement from the second floor.

Maybe one of the reasons I like to check my chimney and like seeing that there is no smoke coming out is because my nieghbor runs an old smoke dragon and always has a large plume of smoke pouring out of his chimney. I think he is perplexed by my lack of smoke. I've seen him drive by and look at my chimney and I know he's seen me bringing wood in the house. Probably is wondering why I keep bringing wood in the house if I'm not burning it since there is no smoke coming from my chimney!!

Treacherous said:

Where's the harm?

Your neighbors benefit from your clean burning. :coolsmile:

Link it to the web, and look at it from you phone in your easy chair (or wherever) whenever you want.

I'm just sayin'.

Good idea!

But the webcams, or should I say 'chimney cams' are going a bit far lol!

As a new EPA burner I've been struggling learning the new stove, so checking smoke definetly helps. Sure once you learn how to burn properly and have good seasoned wood I am sure the thought of all the effort to check for smoke sounds silly. But for those of us struggling with partly seasoned wood and new stoves, there is a learning curve that takes time, and checking the smoke helps.

I can't see my chimney cap unless I am quite a wats from the house... I could probably set up a mirror and then peer out through binoculars... na

RenovationGeorge said:
"Caution: smoke in the mirror is thicker than it appears"

That sounds like a warning that should have been in the employee handbook at the last job I had.

The only time I look is when I get a big rip roaring fire going, I want to see if there are sparks. Not concerned about smoke.

After I added a secondary burn set up to my stove I was constantly out there looking at the chiminey. My nieghbors thought i was nuts because I'd be out there on a 30 degree day with a t shirt on every 15 minutes. Now that I've got the hang of operating it since the modification I don't go out and look very much, but I do look if I'm going out for some other reason. Makes me happy and proud when there's no smoke.

RenovationGeorge said:
Geoff John-West said:
I just set up a mirror on top of the wood pile to watch the chimney. Works great.
Saves me going outside every time I am wondering if there is smoke.

Ah, sweet, sweet obsession!

Maybe I'll get one of those convex mirrors, and put a sign next to it:

"Caution: smoke in the mirror is thicker than it appears"

The next step is a wireless kit that sticks on your chimney cap, and measures smoke density and temperature, with a display that sits next to your easy chair.

Talk about a niche market!

I like the webcam idea. Check it from your smart phone during the day.

"Hmmm... I wonder how I'm burning..."

"Are you looking at your chimney again?" :lol:

Nice photo BB--gives me something to aim for.

You should check with your states traffic laws. It may be illegal to check your smoke while driving.

Shari said:
Treacherous said:

Shari
I'm lucky. I can stand near my stove and look up through a skylight to see the top of the chimney. That way I can feed my own obsession without being too obvious about it!

Status
Not open for further replies.