Mirror in the back yard to monitor chimney smoke

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
  • Super Cedar firestarters 30% discount Use code Hearth2024 Click here
Status
Not open for further replies.

Geoff John-West

Hearth Supporter
May 3, 2009
Edmonton Alberta Canada
I just set up a mirror on top of the wood pile to watch the chimney. Works great.
Saves me going outside every time I am wondering if there is smoke.

Attachments

• [Hearth.com] Mirror in the back yard to monitor chimney smoke
    1282342345_256.webp
    10.4 KB · Views: 400
Depending on the time of the day I can see the shadow of the chimney. If not I just look at the firebox to see if its hot...

We had a guy here a few years ago that set up a webcam in a window to watch for smoke.

I quit checking years ago. I don't like my neighbor anyway. :coolsmirk:

No offense, but why would you want to know if there is smoke coming out your chimney? If the stove is burning good what else matters?

westkywood said:
No offense, but why would you want to know if there is smoke coming out your chimney? If the stove is burning good what else matters?

Because if you are burning it right there isn't any smoke coming out of the chimney.

If you are burning perfect wood in an EPA stove yep..... then no smoke.

Even with perfect wood there will be some smoke, especially on start up or reloading with a non-epa stove.

I might be crazy but the only time I get zero smoke on my little Drole Jasper is when the wood is coaled up nicely part way through a cycle.

I can see my chimney cap from the upstairs bathroom window. If I put a mirror in my back yard the wildlife would get territorial and want to fight the image in the mirror.

LLigetfa said:
If I put a mirror in my back yard the wildlife would get territorial and want to fight the image in the mirror.

Hmm... wonder if that would work to keep the woodpeckers off our siding....... :)

RE OP's Mirror idea - I think that is a great idea!

lowroadacres said:
If you are burning perfect wood in an EPA stove yep..... then no smoke.

Even with perfect wood there will be some smoke, especially on start up or reloading with a non-epa stove.

I might be crazy but the only time I get zero smoke on my little Drole Jasper is when the wood is coaled up nicely part way through a cycle.

My 30-NC and F3 chimneys are smoke free within fifteen to twenty minutes of reload. Just heat waves.

Like this less than half an hour after reloads on both of'em.

Attachments

• [Hearth.com] Mirror in the back yard to monitor chimney smoke
    chimneys.webp
    10.9 KB · Views: 750
I understand the curiosity and fascination of checking out the chimney. Last year, I would sit in the car at the end of the drive, just looking at the heat shimmers coming out of the stack. Unless you knew what to look for, you would not even know the stove was burning. Now with the BKK, after the first 15-20 min., there's really no reason to look. Boring actually.

Geoff John-West said:
I just set up a mirror on top of the wood pile to watch the chimney. Works great.

yaya, I can see my chimney top from the bedroom window, check it every now and then just to monitor how the things burning, and inspecting the cap ain't a bad idea either.....been thinking of a 'stovecam' for the bedroom so at night I can check it if I want to without getting out of bed.....

Geoff John-West said:

Ah, sweet, sweet obsession!

Maybe I'll get one of those convex mirrors, and put a sign next to it:

"Caution: smoke in the mirror is thicker than it appears"

The next step is a wireless kit that sticks on your chimney cap, and measures smoke density and temperature, with a display that sits next to your easy chair.

Talk about a niche market!

I like the webcam idea. Check it from your smart phone during the day.

"Hmmm... I wonder how I'm burning..."

"Are you looking at your chimney again?" :lol:

Nice photo BB--gives me something to aim for.

Oh we can go several steps further. How about a heat proof fiberoptic camera that we can feed down the chimney to determine daily rates of creosote deposit, exit rate of flue gases, and how many pounds Santa put on this year. Oh, the possibilities. Cheers!

[quote author="RenovationGeorge" The next step is a wireless kit that sticks on your chimney cap, and measures smoke density and temperature, with a display that sits next to your easy chair.[/quote]

I'll take one George. What's your web site?

I think this goes right along with the IR gun. After you get used to how to burn your stove you won't even think about it. You will load it and forget it.

I can think of thousands of things I'd rather look at.... Like someone else said, after a while you don't even look. Actually, most of the wood burning thing we don't even think about. We just do it and then enjoy the heat. My wife doesn't even watch the flame. The only time she looks at the fire is to tell if the stove needs wood or if it is time to turn the cat on. You might say that after 50 years of this the novelty wears off a bit.

I know....Thats my point...

BrotherBart said:
westkywood said:

Because if you are burning it right there isn't any smoke coming out of the chimney.

Awww. You guys are making fun of what I am becoming. I thought of the mirror and the cam, but decided that since the chimney is visible from the upstairs bathroom window, and given that I am an older guy who also needs exercise, I decided to just drink a little more coffee and check when I was up there. It is smoking as of 5 minutes ago, but the fan just started turning, and I see some secondaries, so I can close the door and wait for this rock behemoth to start throwing a little heat.

Cameras,mirrors,posting on Youtube... Are you serious? Use seasoned wood, burn it hot , you're good to go.
Someone explain this to me. Is it just an obsession?

westkywood said:
Cameras,mirrors,posting on Youtube... Are you serious? Use seasoned wood, burn it hot , you're good to go.
Someone explain this to me. Is it just an obsession?

Well, that is an easy question, and loath as I am to work on a day off, I will answer it for you. It is only an obsession if you find yourself anxious, or apprehensive or worried unduly about what is going on in your wood stove. In the case of most of us, I would guess that it is more of a hobby with complex enough technical aspects to give us something to talk about. Not to mention the hazards that come from building a fire inside one's abode. So unless you find yourself fixated on your fire and so anxious about it that it crowds out thoughts about other things, and deprives you of sleep, you are not obsessed yet.

Of course, that is just my professional opinion. Given my own activities related to the acquisition, installation, and operation of my new stove, I am not all that sure that I might not need to talk to one of my fellow shrinks about myself.....:)

LLigetfa said:
I can see my chimney cap from the upstairs bathroom window. If I put a mirror in my back yard the wildlife would get territorial and want to fight the image in the mirror.

Can't----Stop----Myself

So are you saying that you would be a threatening sight to a chipmunk?

***runs and ducks under desk***

westkywood said:
Use seasoned wood, burn it hot , you're good to go.

Depends on the stove. It's good to know if smoke, which equals wasted fuel, is coming out the stack. Visible smoke lets you know if you are running the stove correctly. Lots of people who are used to pre-EPA stoves will load up a downdraft stove like mine with good wood, get it hot and shut it down too far, too fast, and get smoke. I know, because I used to be one of them.

Status
Not open for further replies.