Maybe a stupid question..... When to stock stove??

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Justin

Nov 28, 2012
I have a question and it may sound stupid but I thought to myself. IDK?

When is it best to stock the stove?

When the wood is down to just slightly glowing embers then restock to full or

Throw a log or two in there here and there in order to always have some wood going.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Cheers!

HI, that's a question that will generate many different responses.

For us we burn WOT, wide open throttle, using 2-3 small size splits at a time. I like to flirt very close or just in the red zone on our temp gauge.

At night, for the last couple of years we let the fire go out to sleep better/cooler with the propane backup.

Our 1st fire of the year is currently in progress.

When the wood is down to just slightly glowing embers then restock to full

If by this you mean just a few coals - such as after an overnight burn - then the time it takes to get the stove up to operating temperature again will be comparable to a cold start.

Throw a log or two in there here and there in order to always have some wood going.

Generally this will lead to a stove full of coals after a while that will produce only a low level of heat for a considerable time.

But those are not the only two options.

The simple answer is that you're burning habits are going to change throughout the Burning Season. When the weather is still a little warm you build small fires and let it go down to coles during the winter months when it's extremely cold you may be stocking the stove until it's half or three-quarters of the way and running it at 400 degrees because you need that much heat from your stove to heat your house so there is no certain way of doing it you're going to change your burning habits as you heat demand goes up or down

HI, that's a question that will generate many different responses.

For us we burn WOT, wide open throttle, using 2-3 small size splits at a time. I like to flirt very close or just in the red zone on our temp gauge.

At night, for the last couple of years we let the fire go out to sleep better/cooler with the propane backup.

Our 1st fire of the year is currently in progress.
That is absolutly not the proper way to run a stove

I have a question and it may sound stupid but I thought to myself. IDK?

When is it best to stock the stove?

When the wood is down to just slightly glowing embers then restock to full or

Thanks in advance for any help.

Cheers!
I like to reload on a decent coal bed it just gets things up to temp faster. For me that is generally every 8 hours

Reactions: Squisher
Aside from burning full load cycles I also (when I'm around to do it) will burn by putting in 2-3 splits at a time to keep a steady stove temp of between 450-600. That way the secondaries are always hot enough to be active and I don't get such wide temp fluctuations in the house.

Reactions: savageactor7