Max temp of funriture near stove?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Amin1992

Feeling the Heat
Oct 9, 2019
PA, USA
Hi guys. Learning as I go here and am curious. I have a pleather couch about 4 feet away from my wood stove. After burning for 4 hours I noticed the side of it facing the stove was hot to the touch!

Took the laser thermometer to it and it was 150 F.

Is that too hot? I don't care if this thing fades. Just don't want it to be a safety concern. It's outside of minimum clearance to the stove.

Thanks guys

That would make me uncomfortable. Can it be moved a foot more away?

Hey thanks for the reply. Sadly no... It's a tight room. Honestly I'd like to remove the chair all together but my wife wants another seat there haha.

Is 150F a fire hazard on furniture? This is just from the stove insert radiating - not even using the fan!

I wouldn't want my furniture or anything else to get that hot around the stove. Id make some kind of change

Why not? For safety reasons or for the furniture's longevity?

The chair is just a cheap old hand me down so I don't mind if the heat wears it out. I doubt 150F would create a safety concern right?

Why not? For safety reasons or for the furniture's longevity?

The chair is just a cheap old hand me down so I don't mind if the heat wears it out. I doubt 150F would create a safety concern right?
Off gassing and fire risk

What is the temp on that chair when the stove is being pushed hard in zero degree weather?

Pyrolysis is the concern. Long term exposure makes things brittle and lowers the combustion temp. I would just move the chair back when burning.

Reactions: Mech e
Thank you all so much. Never knew pyrolysis was a thing but that's why I asked the experts here! I appreciate you all.

I'll be sure to move the chair everytime I burn, which may convince my wife to just get rid of it!

Reactions: Sawset