Mama Bear into Baby bear.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
He also did it without copying anyone else's stove. The Fisher stove is arguably the most copied woodstove design since.
How do you know he didnt copy someone elses? There were plenty of welded plate steel stoves made before fishers.

I am not saying he did copy another stove but honestly we have no clue. At the time welding shops were starting to make stoves. So it is entirely possible he saw one similar. Also possible he didnt.

Reactions: Todd67
We will never know those kind of details, and I don't dwell on that kind of stuff. I'm biased, what can I say...

I am not saying he did copy another stove but honestly we have no clue. At the time welding shops were starting to make stoves. So it is entirely possible he saw one similar. Also possible he didnt.

Fact is Bob Fisher received a patent for a "Heating and Cooking Stove".

Fact is Bob Fisher received a patent for a "Heating and Cooking Stove".
Yes and many before him and after him did as well.

We will never know those kind of details, and I don't dwell on that kind of stuff. I'm biased, what can I say...
I don't dwell on it either. And I do give him credit for helping the industry. But to claim we wouldn't have gotten where we are without him in my opinion is a bit of a stretch.

I don't dwell on it either. And I do give him credit for helping the industry. But to claim we wouldn't have gotten where we are without him in my opinion is a bit of a stretch.

Maybe, maybe not. Bob Fisher was put into a position (unemployed when Steel Craft closed down) and needing income to support his family. He was sitting on a hot:ZZZ idea with his woodstove heating his A-frame house, and with other people wanting him to build them a Fisher stove, and given the high cost of heating and world economics, he seized the opportunity to patent and market his stove. He wasn't greedy, and made a very small profit percentage from each stove he sold. He also helped licensees make a boat load of money too.

I'm sure other people made their own woodstoves during that same time, but as Don H said, Bob paid for a patent for his stoves, and the rest is history.

I'm not trying to offend anyone who might have personal ties to those Fisher copycat stove makers, but Fisher stoves are better than the rest>>

Last edited:
Reactions: Easy Livin’ 3000
Maybe, maybe not. Bob Fisher was put into a position (unemployed when Steel Craft closed down) and needing income to support his family. He was sitting on a hot:ZZZ idea with his woodstove heating his A-frame house, and with other people wanting him to build them a Fisher stove, and given the high cost of heating and world economics, he seized the opportunity to patent and market his stove. He wasn't greedy, and made a very small profit percentage from each stove he sold. He also helped licensees make a boat load of money too.

I'm sure other people made their own woodstoves during that same time, but as Soon said, Bob paid for a patent for his stoves, and the rest is history.

I'm not trying to offend anyone who might have personal ties to those Fisher copycat stove makers, but Fisher stoves are better than the rest>>
I'm just happy to see someone saying this about anything other than a BK!

I appreciate the passion you guys have for these classic stoves. They are not my taste, but I totally get it. I feel the same way about that old VC Resolute.

I'll have to read the Fisher story. Sounds interesting.

I'm just happy to see someone saying this about anything other than a BK!

I appreciate the passion you guys have for these classic stoves. They are not my taste, but I totally get it. I feel the same way about that old VC Resolute.

I'll have to read the Fisher story. Sounds interesting.

My neighbor loves her VC stoves. I think it really boils down to what type or brand of stove you are most accustomed to.

No matter what brand or type of woodstove anyone chooses, as long as we can heat our homes safely and as efficiently as possible, is all that really matters in the end.

My neighbor loves her VC stoves. I think it really boils down to what type or brand of stove you are most accustomed to.

No matter what brand or type of woodstove anyone chooses, as long as we can heat our homes safely and as efficiently as possible, is all that really matters in the end.
Right on! For me, probably has much to do with feeding that little VC from the time I was 12 years old. If it had been a Baby Bear, I bet I'd feel the same way about it.

My modern clean burning budget steel box isn't going to inspire the same passion over time, but I still really like it!

I'm sure other people made their own woodstoves during that same time, but as Soon said, Bob paid for a patent for his stoves, and the rest is history.

And how many other stoves have you used to make that claim? Many of the Alaska's had baffles in them the all nighters had their tubes. Both of those improved efficency over the fishers. And then you have the stoves like vc jotul Cawley lemay Kent etc all of which were far better at that time period with regards to efficency. But they were also more expensive

Right on! For me, probably has much to do with feeding that little VC from the time I was 12 years old. If it had been a Baby Bear, I bet I'd feel the same way about it.

My modern clean burning budget steel box isn't going to inspire the same passion over time, but I still really like it!
Some of the new ones will especially for our kids.

But my daughter still says she misses the Cawley lemay. I may have to pick up another one of them one of these days. I just was offered enough for it that I couldn't turn it down.

My point was that without the large scale production and marketing of stoves Bob Fisher created, wood stoves would have remained a niche product. Without the wood stove entering the public consciousness on a national level, maybe the EPA would never have required lower emissions or safety testing would have remained nonexistent. The design of his stove was not some great masterpiece of engineering or advanced technology, but it was accessible for everyone. Much in the same way the original VW Beetle, Citroën 2CV, and Ford Model T brought automobiles to the masses. Bholler is right, many stoves before Fisher were more advanced, more efficient, and cleaner burning, but the working class could not afford these stoves.

Personally I find the Fisher stoves interesting and they have a great story, but I wouldn't have one in my house, efficiency characteristics aside. I favor, obviously, the European designed stoves. They look great and heat very well. Even the pre EPA Jotuls and Morsos were pretty efficient. I might have gotten a F118 if they didn't have so many baffle issues. These stoves just never sold here like the Fisher stoves did.

My point was that without the large scale production and marketing of stoves Bob Fisher created, wood stoves would have remained a niche product. Without the wood stove entering the public consciousness on a national level, maybe the EPA would never have required lower emissions or safety testing would have remained nonexistent. The design of his stove was not some great masterpiece of engineering or advanced technology, but it was accessible for everyone. Much in the same way the original VW Beetle, Citroën 2CV, and Ford Model T brought automobiles to the masses. Bholler is right, many stoves before Fisher were more advanced, more efficient, and cleaner burning, but the working class could not afford these stoves.

Personally I find the Fisher stoves interesting and they have a great story, but I wouldn't have one in my house, efficiency characteristics aside. I favor, obviously, the European designed stoves. They look great and heat very well. Even the pre EPA Jotuls and Morsos were pretty efficient. I might have gotten a F118 if they didn't have so many baffle issues. These stoves just never sold here like the Fisher stoves did.
I agree completely. His contributions on the marketing side to me are much more influential than his stoves we're.

Reactions: Todd67 and SpaceBus

But my daughter still says she misses the Cawley lemay. I may have to pick up another one of them one of these days. I just was offered enough for it that I couldn't turn it down.

After reading on here that you had one, I looked them up. Such a shame they couldn't keep up with the EPA regs. Those stoves are beautiful. If I had found a restored 400 while we were looking for stoves, it might have ended up in our house over the Morso.

Reactions: Todd67 and bholler
After reading on here that you had one, I looked them up. Such a shame they couldn't keep up with the EPA regs. Those stoves are beautiful. If I had found a restored 400 while we were looking for stoves, it might have ended up in our house over the Morso.
If the Cawleys had remained in control of the company I would bet Bob Cawley would have met the regulations. But the company they sold to had no interest in r&d. I am not really a fan of their other stoves but the 400 and 600 were pretty clean burning and efficent stoves that we're designed extremely well. It is clear they were made by a couple one who was a sculpter and the other an industrial designer.

Reactions: SpaceBus and Todd67

No one said we wouldn't have gotten where we are without him. Fisher was the first to patent and mass produce steel plate, airtight, wood stoves. Sure if he wouldn't have done it someone else would have, eventually. The time was right, with oil prices going through the roof, for an efficient wood burner.

Fisher saw an opportunity and developed it into a successful business. His method of licensing fabricators and selling them the doors to make sure he got payment for each stove was ingenious.

When everyone is copying you, you know you're the leader.

I'll be ready to look for one of the
Reminds me of the old African Anteater Ritual.

No one said we wouldn't have gotten where we are without him. Fisher was the first to patent and mass produce steel plate, airtight, wood stoves. Sure if he wouldn't have done it someone else would have, eventually. The time was right, with oil prices going through the roof, for an efficient wood burner.

Fisher saw an opportunity and developed it into a successful business. His method of licensing fabricators and selling them the doors to make sure he got payment for each stove was ingenious.

Absolutely he was doing something right. He brought affordable safe stove to people who otherwise may not have been able to afford them. But I was responding to those who did say we would not have gotten where we are without him. Yes I am sure it would have been a different path without him but we would still have gotten clean burning efficent stoves.

I wo
I'll be ready to look for one of the

Reminds me of the old African Anteater Ritual.
I can find plenty just not any I am willing to pay what they are asking.

Coaly is the best person on here to "date" your Fisher. Are there any markings on the stove such as welded or stamped initials or numbers? They can be very hard to see if the stove is rusty. An example is my Mama Bear from PA, where the welder got creative with the stove number, which appears to be the 84th stove made at the PA shop. This PA84 is on the bottom of the stove...
IMG_0605.JPG

Or my Coal Bear, also made in PA, with numbers on the front top left near the top door (oops, those pics are on my phone). I'll upload them soon...

Coal Bear numbers, PA0092
IMG_20181102_212415.jpg

Baby Bear numbers on the top left rear of the stove, 40527
IMG_20181030_173036813.jpg

I'm glad you enjoyed the Fisher Stove Story! Many of us can relate to Bob Fisher, either through personal experiences or someone we know in similar circumstances.

Last edited:
It's a D door. Unbelievable.

It's a D door. Unbelievable.

It sure is. First one I've seen like that. I've only heard of them before today.

What the hell does that mean?

That I am even more of an ass for modifying the stove?

Lol... The foundry mis-spelled patented on the bottom of your door. They spelled it with a D instead of a T.

Status
Not open for further replies.