Mama bear info please

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
I've never seen the full name welded either.

Maybe coaly can say whether it was made in Georgia or where. It has been in auburn Alabama for twenty years she said and that’s real close to the Georgia line.

Member @CamFan worked at the Fisher shop in Georgia. He just marked his with his initials SB though.

It is a Fisher Stoves South East / Georgia stove. The name on the bottom welded the box, (possibly his 5th stove welded?) the initials under ash fender is the finisher who vented and hung the door.
The hinge ears are closer together on the older flat top doors. The door seal (1 inch channel iron) is the same, but when doors are hung, the stove is laid on its back, door centered on seal and hinge plates are tacked in place. Doors came from different patterns and different foundries, so they are all slightly different. Even a door that looks identical usually cannot be attached to a stove that wasn't welded for it. Repositioning of hinge plates is necessary.

Burning with a screen in place allows the fire to burn freely, losing far too much heat up the chimney. They are not considered radiant heaters with the door open. You would need a home made screen, and a flue damper to slow the draft. The flue damper becomes your only air control when door is open. It does help get it going if you have damp wood, but once going you will find closing the door is best. When it burns down to the coal stage, so much indoor air leaks up the chimney, your efficiency numbers are going to be like a fireplace, loosing the heat you have put into the building.

This is the older box style with angle iron legs. They were offered by many fabricators $100 cheaper than the UL listed version with shields and bent corners. It was not necessary to have a listed stove back then when installed on a non-combustible hearth or cement floor.

It should be connected to an insulated 6 inch chimney.

Thanks coaly great info! Must have been same man the initials are the same, too much coincidence not to be. Have you ever seen whole names welded on before?

Mama Bears are not designed to operate with the door open, AKA fireplace mode. Loading and letting it run with the door open will over fire the stove causing damage. If you want to operate a stove in fireplace mode you should get a Grandma stove. Those are designed for what you want and included a screen for viewing. A stove pipe damper was also installed in a GM as this is the only way to regulate the draft in fireplace mode. Review the manual for the Mama and then look at the Grandma manual to see the difference.
Running a Mama Bear with doors open will not overfire it. In fact the opposite will happen.
If you want to cool a over heated stove you open the doors to allow more air to push the heat out the flue.
I often run my Mama that is in my room in the shed with the door open to keep it from getting to hot in the 300 sq. ft. room. To me it seems like a better option than closing the air down and smoldering the fire.

Running a Mama Bear with doors open will not overfire it. In fact the opposite will happen.
If you want to cool a over heated stove you open the doors to allow more air to push the heat out the flue.
I often run my Mama that is in my room in the shed with the door open to keep it from getting to hot in the 300 sq. ft. room. To me it seems like a better option than closing the air down and smoldering the fire.

I've had the opposite effect with my Mama Bear. If I load the stove and leave the door open, the stove pipe thermometer quickly goes from 200 degrees to over 500 degrees. It would absolutely over-fire if I didn't close the door.

Bit, if there are only coals left in the stove and I leave the door open, the temp only goes up a little.

I've had the opposite effect with my Mama Bear. If I load the stove and leave the door open, the stove pipe thermometer quickly goes from 200 degrees to over 500 degrees. It would absolutely over-fire if I didn't close the door.

Bit, if there are only coals left in the stove and I leave the door open, the temp only goes up a little.
Opposing views can't both be true. So we'll leave it at that.

Either way the owner's manual states not to run these stoves (Baby, Mama and Papa Bears) with the door open.

Opposing views can't both be true. So we'll leave it at that.

It's not an argument or a debate. Both of us can be right. I'm not saying you are wrong. Don H saw the same thing happen with his stove. There are many factors and conditions that can determine how your stove performs with the door open. So yes, we can both be right:)