Installing a free Fisher Stove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

brycealabaster

Dec 18, 2023
Asheville
Greetings. I’ve read a lot about these Fisher stoves the past several days. All of the information is amazing. I’ve got enough confidence to install this stove in my existing fireplace. I had a coupe of questions:

1) any problems putting this stove in the existing fireplace attached to a new 6 in flexible/ insulated liner?
2) any idea which stove this is? Mama Bear? Any idea of year? It appears to have some shields on the back and bottom.

Thanks and I’ll try to post a better photo of the stove.

IMG_1368.jpeg IMG_1201.jpeg IMG_1204.jpeg IMG_1203.jpeg IMG_1202.jpeg

Not a Fisher. And you don’t want a radiant stove in the fireplace. You need an Insert.

It potentially could work if:
  • There is a correctly sized stainless steel liner in the chimney that the stove is connected to
  • The liner complies with code. That most likely means it will be insulated
  • Clearances are honored to surrounding walls and mantel. In this case that would be at least 36" if the mantel is combustible (wood)
  • There is a hearth pad extension in front of the stove door that is at least 18" deep.
A block-off plate in the damper area is strongly recommended.

Yes, I am running a new 6 in smooth wall liner with insulation from Rockford down the existing flue. The mantel is temporary and coming down... lol

I didn't think about the hearth pad extension....

Yes, I am running a new 6 in smooth wall liner with insulation from Rockford down the existing flue. The mantel is temporary and coming down... lol

I didn't think about the hearth pad extension....
Don't do the smooth wall they are junk. For an old stove like that I would strongly recommend heavy wall

Don't do the smooth wall they are junk. For an old stove like that I would strongly recommend heavy wall
Liner failure.
I was quoted a price of $1500 for 35' of 8'' ovalized smooth wall. I'm sure that was not for the multi fuel grade SS.
I'm better off with something else?

If so, I may remove the clay liner for an easier install of an insulated variety. It is an exterior chimney.

I was quoted a price of $1500 for 35' of 8'' ovalized smooth wall. I'm sure that was not for the multi fuel grade SS.
I'm better off with something else?

If so, I may remove the clay liner for an easier install of an insulated variety. It is an exterior chimney.
Yes a heavy wall liner is still smooth and far more durable midweight would be next best also smooth. But I would take regular light wall over the 2 ply stuff

Reactions: all night moe