Magnolia Questions

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
  • Super Cedar firestarters 30% discount Use code Hearth2024 Click here
Status
Not open for further replies.
wkpoor said:
5. 4k a year in heating cost either means you have a huge house or you need new windows,doors, and insulation. I have a very average house except for I have probably twice the number of windows this sq ft would normally have and if I didn't heat with wood it would coat me less than a grand to heat for a year. Others like me with newer homes report the same.

I really think it depends on the type of fuel you have available. For me I was using about 1400 gallons of propane a year,(heat/hot water) this is a year figure not just the heating season. The propane companies around here count the heating season from Nov-March I believe when looking at annual usage for their Pre-buy amounts. For their heating season I used 1200 gallons or so before the stove. Figure 1200 gallons with a 2 dollar price of propane which is only the low side of things plus tax. That's 3k worth of propane with a really reasonable price used. A few years back it was 2.50 plus in my area. I'm heating a 80's build home that's just under 2k with new windows/doors with good attic insulation, I'm sure the walls good be better but I can't see through walls. :)

So I also fall into the category where I could buy a new stove almost yearly and still be warmer and slightly ahead. If I could get NG I wouldn't be doing any of this. :lol:

wkpoor said:
it would coat me less than a grand to heat for a year. Others like me with newer homes report the same.

I don't know anyone with a heating bill that low. Heating oil is at about $3.50 right now. A grand would mean 286 gallons in oil. If I only burned that I would not be on this website right now.

rdust said:
wkpoor said:
5. 4k a year in heating cost either means you have a huge house or you need new windows,doors, and insulation. I have a very average house except for I have probably twice the number of windows this sq ft would normally have and if I didn't heat with wood it would coat me less than a grand to heat for a year. Others like me with newer homes report the same.

I really think it depends on the type of fuel you have available. For me I was using about 1400 gallons of propane a year,(heat/hot water) this is a year figure not just the heating season. The propane companies around here count the heating season from Nov-March I believe when looking at annual usage for their Pre-buy amounts. For their heating season I used 1200 gallons or so before the stove. Figure 1200 gallons with a 2 dollar price of propane which is only the low side of things plus tax. That's 3k worth of propane with a really reasonable price used. A few years back it was 2.50 plus in my area. I'm heating a 80's build home that's just under 2k with new windows/doors with good attic insulation, I'm sure the walls good be better but I can't see through walls. :)

So I also fall into the category where I could buy a new stove almost yearly and still be warmer and slightly ahead. If I could get NG I wouldn't be doing any of this. :lol:

1500 gallons for me to maintain 65-70 degree temps throughout the winter (which is still cooler than we keep most of the house with wood). 1200 for 60-65 degrees. 1500 gallons would run me about $5200 right now.

BeGreen said:
Sounds reasonable. I should have added: F. Another stove. :)

And G. A stove. :lol:

I've ask around here and even my neighbor who heats with propane only pays 1.79/gal. I realize those contracts will be going up drastically. Before I heated with wood I used about 350gallons a year blended with heat pump use. Our electric bill is never higher than 100.00 and thats is heating the water too. 4 persons in house.Heat pumps are real efficient but as everyone knows you are cold all the time. This house has always been thrifty on utilities.A guy at work has a bigger house than mine and he reports similar costs to heat. Since we live in the country and don't pay for water or sewage, our total yearly utility expense is right at about 1200.00 since heating with wood. Before someone goes there, yes I could ad in the chainsaw gas, tractor fuel, logsplitter gas, and whatever maintenance and of course my time. LOLOLOLOLOLOLLLLLL

BrowningBAR said:
I don't know anyone with a heating bill that low. Heating oil is at about $3.50 right now. A grand would mean 286 gallons in oil. If I only burned that I would not be on this website right now.

I've done it for about $500, but I live in a reasonable climate, was heating a small house, and was f-f-f-f-freezing most of the time.

BrotherBart said:
And will never be able to as long as there are moving companies listed in the phone book.
:lol: just seeing this now

With just two of us and heating with wood our electric bill runs around a hundred a month. But as a test I let the stove go cold for two days at Christmas and we heated with electric. At 65-68 degrees. I read the meter and it calculated out to what my two neighbors are paying a month with their heat pumps. Four hundred and fifty bucks a month. I fired that stove right back up.

There was a time that the heat pump could heat this place and only raise the bill eight bucks a month or so. But electric rates were a lot lower back then.

wkpoor said:
I've ask around here and even my neighbor who heats with propane only pays 1.79/gal. I realize those contracts will be going up drastically. Before I heated with wood I used about 350gallons a year blended with heat pump use. Our electric bill is never higher than 100.00 and thats is heating the water too. 4 persons in house.Heat pumps are real efficient but as everyone knows you are cold all the time. This house has always been thrifty on utilities.A guy at work has a bigger house than mine and he reports similar costs to heat. Since we live in the country and don't pay for water or sewage, our total yearly utility expense is right at about 1200.00 since heating with wood. Before someone goes there, yes I could ad in the chainsaw gas, tractor fuel, logsplitter gas, and whatever maintenance and of course my time. LOLOLOLOLOLOLLLLLL

Here is my propane places pricing "Propane pricing" Currently pricing is 2.08 a gallon. I've never seen a heat pump installed in Michigan so I'm not sure how well they would work. My in-laws are near Dayton OH and they can get by with a heat pump.

Status
Not open for further replies.