Lopi Leyder (top loader) question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
  • Super Cedar firestarters 30% discount Use code Hearth2024 Click here
Status
Not open for further replies.

Possumguts

Hearth Supporter
Feb 23, 2009
Western NY
I have a Lopi top loader and I notice that when I have a good bed of coals, glowing but no visible flame, I can open the top door and the damper and increase the heat output substantially. The draft takes care of any smoke (at this stage of burning I see none) and a lot of the heat that normally goes up the chimney now enters the room, with no smell or ash or anything. The coalbed is about 18 inches below the top opening and I have observed no sparks or pops at all. My question is: Is this safe to leave open at this stage of the fire? Perhaps using a screen? Any issues with either fire or carbon monoxide? It seems to me to the same as an open fireplace. Inquiring minds would like to know. Thanks

Just a guess, but if it's as an open fireplace, you're giving up secondary combustion and the efficiency that it brings to bear. Will be interested to see the replies on this one.

Possumguts said:
It seems to me to the same as an open fireplace.

And that's the trouble - you are going to be pulling a large amount of room air up the flue, and that will be replaced by cold outdoor air. Yes, you feel a nice increase in radiant heat with a door open, but you are going to get a net loss in heat, not a net gain, in losing all that warmed room air.

And in the event you are not losing that heat via airflow, then that leaves the possibility you are gaining fumes into the house. The draft takes care of any visible smoke, but can you be sure it's ALL taken care of? Not worth the risk.

How do you like your Leyden?

JV_Thimble said:
Just a guess, but if it's as an open fireplace, you're giving up secondary combustion and the efficiency that it brings to bear. Will be interested to see the replies on this one.

I think he is just reffering to the final stage of coals, so there is probably not any secondary combustion happening anyhow. I too am tempted when I am just burning down coals to leave the door open. Often times the stove is pretty cooled off (in the 200's) and doesnt feel like its putting out any heat, then you open the door and get that blast of hot air. But I havent actually tried leaving it open for more than a couple minutes...

I really like the Leyden, (Lopi Leyden) but I wonder if I am using it efficiently. I burn 24/7 and seem to go thru a lot of wood. The top loading door is a great feature. I only open the front doors when the stove is cool and I am going to clean the glass.

►►OhioBurner◄◄™ said:
I too am tempted when I am just burning down coals to leave the door open. Often times the stove is pretty cooled off (in the 200's) and doesnt feel like its putting out any heat, then you open the door and get that blast of hot air. But I havent actually tried leaving it open for more than a couple minutes...

I never thought of using the top door, but I do use the front door on occasion, with a huge pile of coals. They burn down very fast, and the radiant heat is nice. I've left it open for a half hour or so. Someone posted on another thread about how much warm room air you might lose, but I only do it when I have spare heat to burn (so to speak).

Possumguts said:
I really like the Leyden, (Lopi Leyden) but I wonder if I am using it efficiently. I burn 24/7 and seem to go thru a lot of wood.

I have a similar stove and I know what you mean. But I think it's the stove design, not us. I still haven't figured out why the ratio of heat to wood sometimes seems to vary at random. Even monitoring stove and flue temps very carefully, it seems occasionally there's a black hole the heat and the wood both disappear into.

Status
Not open for further replies.