Looking at small wood stoves

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
  • Super Cedar firestarters 30% discount Use code Hearth2024 Click here
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'd get an Englander 30 or maybe try an Englander 13, but the 30 would probably be your best bet.

I'm cheap, though, and while it's easy to spend someone else's money, for myself, it'd be one of those two.

UNLESS I could find one of the Jotuls mentioned above (the 400 sounds good) on CL or used somewhere.

Wrong direction unless they want an oven for a house. The 30 NC is big beast. Over 3 cu. ft.. Even the 13NC would require a bit of moderation at the throttle for a small house in GA temps.

I'd look into a small cat stove, such as one of the Woodstock products. Being able to burn long and low is really nice. Not having to reload the stove every 3 or 4 hours is even better!

you are totally right. I just did some quick math and if they had a 12/12 slope roof on that structure then they'd be heating about 9600cubic feet. if we assume the manufacturers ratings are spot on with 2200 sq ft (with 8ft ceilings) for the 30NC then that would be enough to heat 17,600 cubic feet. The 13NC would be enough to heat 12,000 cubic feet, so still a little big. Then take into account that this is GA (i didn't catch that!) and not MN or even chillier Northern Canadia, and if you have something that the specs say will heat 1,00sq ft you are probably good to go.

Following that line of thinking, an f400 might be overkill as well. Maybe an F100? or an F3CB?

I love my F3 and think it's a great value for a stove.

I think a small stove would work well for you in your situation as long as you don’t mind messing with it more often. You can’t expect to just “toss” some wood in the stove with these small ones because with such a limited space you need to be sure you’ve got your wood positioned well for optimal burning. If you just put it in there without making sure there is good airflow in the box your wood may not catch well and smolder. Usually I’ll create either one channel in the middle of the coals or two channels one on each side for air to flow beneath and inbetween the wood. This works well for me.

Yeah, I'll second that. I keep a few small sticks I can put between splits to make sure I get airflow, and some blocks to put on the bottom to get the airflow under the wood on a reload.

In addition to the primary air, the F3 has start up air in the door to help get the small loads going without any fuss.

Status
Not open for further replies.