Looking a a good lighter for stove. Any recommendations?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Woodcutter Tom

Feeling the Heat
Apr 28, 2019
Northern Illinois
Anybody have a recommendation for a good lighter? I have yet to find a decent one of these. They usually stop igniting after a week or the flame is very small, even when the adjustment lever is turned up all the way.
My requirements are: Starts all the time; refillable; long neck, good size flame, starts all the time.
The Kingsford is pretty good but the neck is too short. And I sat on it and broke it. I had an Ace brand that lit all the time but was not refillable. Everything else I try is junk.
Any thoughts? I do not want to have a propane plumbers torch.
TIA.

Photo is upside down here, but not in my photo file. mmmm?

lighters.jpg

I use a propane torch. Besides lighting the newspaper I also use it sometimes on reloads when the wood gets to that stage where it's smoking but not on fire yet. A blast from the torch gets it burning and reduces the time that my stove is emitting smoke.

I've seen one of those with a long flex snout might be what you are looking for.

Screenshot_20231225_171503_DuckDuckGo.jpg

I use a touch.

I use a MAP torch to preheat the flue and light the newspaper up. I also have a long neck, refillable jet lighter. Unsure of the brand but I will let you know when I get home. I think it’s a bic. Never have any issues with it and has been refilled a couple times

Screenshot_20231225_194619_Chrome.jpg

Zippo makes this butane refillable lighter with a 13" neck if desired....personally I use a bic lighter for $1.79 ,they last a looong time. I use paper to start fires and never have needed a long reach lighter. I watch my wife fight with those P.O.S. lighters to get her candles going like in your picture click click click click like 200 times in a row......hahahaha

View attachment 321381
Zippo makes this butane refillable lighter with a 13" neck if desired....personally I use a bic lighter for $1.79 ,they last a looong time. I use paper to start fires and never have needed a long reach lighter. I watch my wife fight with those P.O.S. lighters to get her candles going like in your picture click click click click like 200 times in a row..

i have never had issues with any of the long neck lighters and i have purchased both cheap and expensive. I do not refill them anymore as that is when i found then started to have issues. Now i just buy the cheap ones and toss them out when empty.

I use wood stick matches and just toss the match in the stove once lit. I've tried those silly lighters I don't need things in my life that frustrate me. I don't get why people have such a hard time lighting a fire.

I always have a Bic in my pocket, never fails to light the newspaper

Reactions: all night moe
I like a butane lighter with the long flexible tip for starting our deck grill. The latest one has lasted a while. Can’t check the brand as it is out back and secured for the winter. For stoves I have always used Diamond wooden matches. Starting is easy with our old design cook stove and a very good draft. An inexpensive three box pack has 900 matches. That used to give around that many lights. Now the wood is skinnier and prone to snapping. The heads and striker tips are small often don’t light. So I grumble a little when it takes three matches but I won’t be running out any time soon and guess I just like matches for that.

Reactions: all night moe
Matches. I prefer the wood ones, but paper ones work too.

I use a electronic ignition plumbers torch with one of the green propane bottles from wal mart or any hardware store.

I use the 1 pound propane bottles. The one used in camp stoves. Walmart has a valve with a push button starter. They sell both in sporting dept for starting camp fires. A few years ago I checked if they still sell the push button starter. Yes $14, I got a few as I was wondering when the one I have been using would die. It hasn't.