Loads of coals... will they burn down?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I can get mine to pump some pretty serious heat but you have to have a aggressive fire going in it which means coaling fast too. And the difference from 0F to -20 to -40F is substantial. When it's very cold I can walk outside and hear the trees snapping from their moisture expanding. Same with the house. It snaps and at times loudly. But I will take a look at Hearthstones just for the heck of it as I'm not in any position to buy a different stove right now...what I need is to get my long awaited pension then get a cheap Toyota Echo to replace the Echo I have now that's been hit hard twice by bigger cars on run into two deer as of late.... and now I'm getting a new windshield on Monday due to the hood flying open at 75 MPH due to the last deer hit. Dang! It sure freaked out the dogs! Lol...

Yup. We get dinged pretty badly. It was up over $4 at the peak. Now we only run a propane cooktop on it and have a smaller 120 gallon cylinder which costs more per gallon than filling the big sausage tanks, but I don't care. It gets filled up every few years. Our heating bill in 2006-2007 would have been north of $3000 if we had stayed on propane. It dropped down to about $500 with the woodstove and heat pump. And that was with purchased wood.
I haven't frequented this forum for a few year but I remember you saying that from when I was on here back then. It is good to be back on the site to see what's up again!

Reactions: webfish
Good to see you back!

Reactions: WiscWoody
I can get mine to pump some pretty serious heat but you have to have a aggressive fire going in it which means coaling fast too. And the difference from 0F to -20 to -40F is substantial. When it's very cold I can walk outside and hear the trees snapping from their moisture expanding. Same with the house. It snaps and at times loudly. But I will take a look at Hearthstones just for the heck of it as I'm not in any position to buy a different stove right now...what I need is to get my long awaited pension then get a cheap Toyota Echo to replace the Echo I have now that's been hit hard twice by bigger cars on run into two deer as of late.... and now I'm getting a new windshield on Monday due to the hood flying open at 75 MPH due to the last deer hit. Dang! It sure freaked out the dogs! Lol...
Ya we can't imagine-20 to -40.The stove did have me go outside in -1 to -3 to cool off that's all I can attest to.Maybe the fellar in Michigan can share some light on how effective the stove is in your temps.If where he is in Michigan get temps like yours.

Ya we can't imagine-20 to -40.The stove did have me go outside in -1 to -3 to cool off that's all I can attest to.Maybe the fellar in Michigan can share some light on how effective the stove is in your temps.If where he is in Michigan get temps like yours.
The upper peninsula does, I don't know what they get in the lower part of Michigan but I'm sure it's perty cold there too!

The upper peninsula does, I don't know what they get in the lower part of Michigan but I'm sure it's perty cold there too!
I went and read the review again.He said he lives in the thumb area of Michigan.I don't know what that means but it sounds like it may be very cold.

The thumb is the lower penninsula. Cold, but not too bad there. Michigan is shaped like a mitten.. the end of the fingers is the cold part.

Status
Not open for further replies.