Loads of coals... will they burn down?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Sconnie what type of stove is that you have pictured ? It's beautiful.

That's the Woodstock Soapstone Ideal Steel. My wife designed the artwork on the side (an option they have when building a stove with them). You also get to choose the color scheme you want. It had yet to be burned, we are patiently (or not so patiently) waiting to move in to our new house to hook it up and use it!
Loads of coals... will they burn down?
Builder let us move it in before we got a bunch of snow and cold weather that would have made it impossible to get through the yard to the back walkout patio door.

Sorry for the hi-jack.....

Last edited by a moderator:
That's the Woodstock Soapstone Ideal Steel. My wife designed the artwork on the side (an option they have when building a stove with them). You also get to choose the color scheme you want. It had yet to be burned, we are patiently (or not so patiently) waiting to move in to our new house to hook it up and use it!
View attachment 190697
Builder let us move it in before we got a bunch of snow and cold weather that would have made it impossible to get through the yard to the back walkout patio door.

Sorry for the hi-jack.....
Thanks,the color scheme makes me want a chocolate chip cookie or brownie.Okay back on topic.I think all the suggestions are good for burning the coals down.

When I have a good bed of coals I open the stove door.They provide good heat while they burn down.I also put a screen in front of the door to catch any stray sparks/embers.Make sure the drafts are all the way open.

Does all the drafts include the built in stove damper? Leave that open as well?

24hrs later after I emptied a tray full of ash/coals I still have hot coals in the stove!

Thanks for all the helpful links Coemgen.

Reactions: Handsonautotech

24hrs later after I emptied a tray full of ash/coals I still have hot coals in the stove!

I think he means just have whatever you can have opened open to get the air moving through the stove and up the chimney pipes. When I first bought my wood stove I knew nothing about them so when I was getting the stove pipe and the class A chimney pipes I saw a damper that went into the black stove stack and I figures I'd need that but I took it out after just a few weeks after I found out that all I needed for control of combustion was the primary air lever do hicky thing on the front of the stove. I've been intertwining and combining harmoniously with the plentiful hardwoods up he in the Cheqaumagan forest ever since. :)

Yes leave all the drafts open.On the stove and any pipe damper you may have.From time to time stir the coals with your poker.The pile really diminishes after a while.

I have the same issues when I'm stoking the fire with hardwoods....which is all I burn.

I rake the fire in the morning to move everything around. Throw a few splits on and leave the air all the way on. Sometimes I leave the door cracked.
If that doesn't work and I'm not going anywhere soon...I open the door all the way open and bask in that radiant heat. This usually works well. Just don't leave it for a second or fall asleep.

I have the same issues when I'm stoking the fire with hardwoods....which is all I burn.

I rake the fire in the morning to move everything around. Throw a few splits on and leave the air all the way on. Sometimes I leave the door cracked.
If that doesn't work and I'm not going anywhere soon...I open the door all the way open and bask in that radiant heat. This usually works well. Just don't leave it for a second or fall asleep.
I agree do not go to sleep with the door open and don't leave the house when the door is open.I do sit in the other room when the door is open with the screen over the opening.I get an additional two hours of good heat this way.

You are making the mistake we did when we first started burning. We thought you had to have flames to have heat. Once the flames are gone, stir the fire and open the air controls and let the coals glow red for an hour or two before adding more wood. You may have to stir the coals a few times during this period between adding wood. Once the coals are not glowing bright at a stiring it is time to add more wood. If coals that are dim do not start your wood you now know it is not dry enough.

Once you get the hang of it you may find you only need to load the stove with wood once in the morning and once at night.

@fibels keep in mind when ypu leave the door open with hot coals you are letting carbon monoxide escape.

Last edited:
You are making the mistake we did when we first started burning. We thought you had to have flames to have heat. Once the flames are gone, stir the fire and open the air controls and let the coals glow red for an hour or two before adding more wood. You may have to stir the coals a few times during this period between adding wood. Once the coals are not glowing bright at a stiring it is time to add more wood. If coals that are dim do not start your wood you now know it is not dry enough.

Once you get the hang of it you may find you only need to load the stove with wood once in the morning and once at night.

@fibels keep in mind when ypu leave the door open with hot coals you are letting carbon monoxide escape.
My draft is good.It act as a fireplace would and my CO alarms don't go off so I'm good to go.+

Coals put out a lot of heat if you give them a little more air. A few days back we had -9 overnight and a high of 7. The house was around 72 and the stove had a pretty solid bed of coals. I opened the air up halfway and ran the stove for a good few hours like that. When I reloaded the stove 2-3 hours later the house had only dropped to 68 and it was 7 outside. That may not be warm enough for some but plenty warm for us.

Reactions: chance04

If your draft is good as it should be at the point when the Fire has died out all of the CO should rise up and out the chimney pipes. A CO alarm is always a good thing to have, just in case the stove acts up or another fuel burning appliance in your home goes awry.

And what was said that you thought that you needed real flame to heat, well that is the case when it's real cold in the northern climates. It often goes below -20f up here in the depths of winter and at times down to -40f and that's when a constant flame is needed to heat the house and even with that I at times will need to start the furnace up. My house has 3400 sq ft to hear and my 2.7 CF stove can only do so much when it's around -35f out.

I would suggest you close the bypass damper shortly after your splits have ignited on the coals. Then I would just control the air with the adjustment rod.

If your draft is good as it should be at the point when the Fire has died out all of the CO should rise up and out the chimney pipes. A CO alarm is always a good thing to have, just in case the stove acts up or another fuel burning appliance in your home goes awry.

And what was said that you thought that you needed real flame to heat, well that is the case when it's real cold in the northern climates. It often goes below -20f up here in the depths of winter and at times down to -40f and that's when a constant flame is needed to heat the house and even with that I at times will need to start the furnace up. My house has 3400 sq ft to hear and my 2.7 CF stove can only do so much when it's around -35f out.
I think a hearthstone I would heat your place.In those temperatures.

I think a hearthstone I would heat your place.In those temperatures.
Is hearthstone a brand name? Actually my Drolet does a good job for a $700 (on clearance) stove. As it's easy to find free wood up here it's saved me a lot on LP in the six years I've had it. Even when LP is cheap as it was this last August when I filled my tank at $0.75 a gallon I'd still rather use the wood stove. Today it was in the 30's, pretty nice as compared to how cold it was for the last two weeks! So far I've only had two burns in the stove today with a long period between them. That's when hot coals will help keep the place warm. I'll bring the rooms where the stove is up to 68 or so then let it cool down to around 62 then light her up again.

this last August when I filled my tank at $0.75 a gallon
_g that is an incredible price for propane. We were paying $0.90 back in 1994 when we moved into this house. I ditched the propane furnace in 2006 with prices heading to $2.50 per gallon and no end in sight. Last year it was $3.49.

Reactions: KimiBwoah
I just had my propane tank filled (first since April of 16) @ 2.19 a gallon with my $0.05 per gallon MIL discount, 500 gallon tank kinda hurts. Hopefully with the new stove I can get by with once a year. Last year we did 2 full tanks in the winter.

Is hearthstone a brand name? Actually my Drolet does a good job for a $700 (on clearance) stove. As it's easy to find free wood up here it's saved me a lot on LP in the six years I've had it. Even when LP is cheap as it was this last August when I filled my tank at $0.75 a gallon I'd still rather use the wood stove. Today it was in the 30's, pretty nice as compared to how cold it was for the last two weeks! So far I've only had two burns in the stove today with a long period between them. That's when hot coals will help keep the place warm. I'll bring the rooms where the stove is up to 68 or so then let it cool down to around 62 then light her up again.
It is a brand name though they don't make that model at the factory anymore however they gave me a name of a former employee who reconditions this stove.This stove weighs aprox.800 lbs.I remember being in maine when this stove was operating.It produced so much heat that we went outside in below zero weather just to cool off.He rebuilt one for me and charged me $1400.00 for the stove plus $200.00 shipping from Vermont to Boston,Ma.area.If you want his number let me know and you could call and talk to him.This stove produces sauna like heat.It's pre EPA but the greatest heater I've ever experienced.

The H1 is a big beast but not too efficient. A friend has one down the road. It keeps the place comfortable, but not baking hot. The stove is thermostatically controlled so he must have had the air control wide open.

The H1 is a big beast but not too efficient. A friend has one down the road. It keeps the place comfortable, but not baking hot. The stove is thermostatically controlled so he must have had the air control wide open.
Mine is in the cellar.I get 14hrs.of good heat.When the wood burns down the heat from the stone will have you sweating.Your experience is not my experience.

Definitely not, quite the opposite. I find the heat from the H1 to be quite even and comfortable. Is the thermostat working correctly on this H1? Or is it set to a high temp?

_g that is an incredible price for propane. We were paying $0.90 back in 1994 when we moved into this house. I ditched the propane furnace in 2006 with prices heading to $2.50 per gallon and no end in sight. Last year it was $3.49.
Wow! Are you sure it wasn't two (or was it 3?) years ago, when supplies were short and there was a heating crisis going on that you paid $3.49 a gallon? In August of 2015 I paid $0.95 a gallon. One thing is I never buy in the winter so that makes a price difference and from what I gather the LP price here in the Midwest is one of the lowest and often as cheap as Oklahoma and Texas. I have to admit that when I called for the summer price and they said it was 75 cents a gallon I said holy chit! Fill me up fast! And I said I wished again that I had a 1000 gallon tank instead of my owned 500.

Yup. We get dinged pretty badly. It was up over $4 at the peak. Now we only run a propane cooktop on it and have a smaller 120 gallon cylinder which costs more per gallon than filling the big sausage tanks, but I don't care. It gets filled up every few years. Our heating bill in 2006-2007 would have been north of $3000 if we had stayed on propane. It dropped down to about $500 with the woodstove and heat pump. And that was with purchased wood.

Last edited:
Just yesterday filled up with 350 Gal of LP for a TOTAL of $405. Tax and all. So pretty reasonably priced.

Hey WiscWoody just so you don't think I'm making up about what I shared about the Hearthstone One woodstove there are two reviews in the review section that share similar experiences as mine.One owner is from Michigan who states that the stove gives off a massive amount of heat and will drive you out even when it's zero outside.Michigan is somewhat in your neck of the woods.The other owner is in New Hampshire and shares that the stove heats a large space comfortably and evenly and is sadden that they don't make the stove anymore.I think the best review of a product would come from the owner of a product than outside sources.Check out the reviews on this site.Just go to stove reviews and where it says manufacturer type in Hearthstone hit go and scroll down to Hearthstone 1,click on and read the reviews.I don't know these folks however our experiences with this stove are similar.

Status
Not open for further replies.