Kiln dried as real as Seasoned wood.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I must be doing something wrong;

Finally got my redstone order yesterday and so this morning I put 4 bricks onto hot ash from the overnight, Air fully open on a hearthstone heritage, the bricks were burning in no time (much better than Crown bricks that I had bought a few weeks ago). After about 15 minutes, I closed the air down to about 25%. Temp via stoneguard read about 325 2 hours in. An hour after that, reading was about 275'ish. The bricks seemed to be on their last legs at that point and so I added 'real' wood

On many threads here on Hearth, when posters talk about these bricks, common gist is *hot* *long burn* etc. I'm not getting any of that. Am I wood brick jinxed or something? Is 3-4 bricks at a time just not enough to benefit, or is there a minimum to use for full effect.

thanks in advance

I've had nothing but good results with them did you get the 6 pack or 3 pack. Do you have a cat stove. I have gotten 12 hrs on six big brick before, on high 30's outside temps. But my cat stove burns long with air almost completely closed.

Never heard of Liberty bricks but I have burned several tons of Redstones, they are fairly inexpensive here possibly because I am only an hour or so away from the source. Had to be real careful with them in the Jotul not to have an inferno on my hands but the new Woodstock has excellent air control and low burn capabilities, the ecobricks really rock now!

View attachment 191263 < before I finished stacking the front row so you could see the back rows...

How do you light that?

I've had nothing but good results with them did you get the 6 pack or 3 pack. Do you have a cat stove. I have gotten 12 hrs on six big brick before, on high 30's outside temps. But my cat stove burns long with air almost completely closed.

I bought the 6 pack. Answer to second question, is No, the hearthstone is not a cat stove

I bought the 6 pack. Answer to second question, is No, the hearthstone is not a cat stove
Well that's you difference right there, I got the 3 packs, they are the bigger bricks, and my insert is a cat stove so I get longer burns than non cat stove, comparable inserts that it

Ok, but still not sure why Im not getting the 'heat' a lot of people on hearth talk about, even if the burn time isnt that long

Ok, but still not sure why Im not getting the 'heat' a lot of people on hearth talk about, even if the burn time isnt that long
Are you turning down the air control once the fire is burning well? How tall is the flue system? How high are the ceilings in the stove room?

Are you turning down the air control once the fire is burning well? How tall is the flue system? How high are the ceilings in the stove room?

Turning down air to 25%'ish. If I turn it down any further, heat seems to die off pretty quickly. I don't have flue details at the moment, but house is a 1950's 'masterpiece' so standard 8'

One or two story chimney? Do you know when the wood was split and stacked?

One story.... my wood was cut and split last year, but in this instance I'm talking about tractor supply Redstone wood bricks

How many bricks at a time?

Thanks, agreed.

4 bricks isn't much if that is all your putting in your stove. It's good to get a feel for them before you put big loads in there but I'd be moving up to a few more (or at least have some cordwood in there too).

Just for reference on my tube stove (my Jotul Rockland) on ash cordwood I could go 8-9 hrs with ecobricks (the 6 pack size, never have seen the larger ones) I could bump that up to about 12 hrs, but it took about a dozen bricks. With only 4 bricks your probably putting less BTU's in your stove than cordwood.

How do you light that?
Coals were raked to the front before the bricks were placed in, and a few pieces of larger kindling was placed on top of the coals. It took off fairly easily. Ecobricks tend to be hard to lite by themselves though, I'd always load them with some coals and kindling of small splits to get em going.

Status
Not open for further replies.