Key damper installation

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Are all key dampers made of cast iron? I'm considering fitting one to my cookstove outlet. On calm days I get a docile stove, but on a day like today with a strong wind and low temperatures I find myself wanting more draft control.

The Bk on a 12’ flue and with actual control of the intake air, I have no problems with overdraft. It’s just purring along right now while we expect snow tonight.

The nc30 has a huge secondary hole that is always wide open pouring air through the firebox as fast as the chimney can suck it. Right along with the heat which is why I’m trying to reel in the chimney.

Tinfoil for the secondary intake. Just sayin for testing:cool:

Are all key dampers made of cast iron? I'm considering fitting one to my cookstove outlet. On calm days I get a docile stove, but on a day like today with a strong wind and low temperatures I find myself wanting more draft control.

Every one I’ve ever seen or bought. Which isn’t many. I imagine it’s in a pretty harsh environment. Very cheap though.

That would work too. I didn’t want to limit air to those tubes and melt them or make this thing pollute. My theory is that the proper ratio of primary to secondary air is baked into the design. For testing, I suspect a lot of the benefits could be found with locating and blocking the extra intakes.

It is far more effective to give the stove the draft it was designed for and let the stove function as designed.