Jotul Rangeley ash pan door won't latch

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Saddlehillfarm

Hearth Supporter
Feb 10, 2010
Eastern Tennessee
Hi All: We just bought a Jotul Rangeley. It works fine except for the ash pan door will not latch. We called the dealer and said he would come out and fix but would have a service charge. Is this right? Should we be charged? The door has not worked correctly since the stove was installed. Any input is appreciated, and thank you

Will it close and latch if you remove the ash pan? Wondering if something is blocking it from closing all the way.

No, the ash pan sits back from the door. A Christmas tree farmer? how cool is that!

I figured you'd have checked that out, but had hoped for an easy fix!! I know with the Olso, ash can build up behind the area where the ash pan sits, so each time you remove the pan, empty it, and then put it back in it does not go in as far and eventually can lead to the ash door not closing all the way.

And growing Christmas trees is pretty much fun! Been doing it for 30 years and still enjoy it all - the growing, shaping, and selling are all so different, but all so nice.

Shawn: The handle and latch sits underneath the stove... I will try and see if I can get a good photo. thank you!
I tried to look at the exploded view in the manual , but it doesn’t show much detail , apologies if you’ve tried this but turn the handle the opposite direction as you have , also try spinning latch in all positions . It’s not clear from post if door won’t close 100% or if latch is not securing closed

I would try to fix it myself, if you are somewhat handy, and if it isn't a defect. Otherwise, 'send in the clowns.' ;)

Reactions: webby3650
I would try to fix it myself, if you are somewhat handy, and if it isn't a defect. Otherwise, 'send in the clowns.' ;)
I totally agree especially since they installed it and left it non functional ( the guy has some nerve trying to charge for a service call for a chitty install )

I totally agree especially since they installed it and left it non functional ( the guy has some nerve trying to charge for a service call for a chitty install )
Things happen. He shouldn’t be charging to come back out, but that doesn’t necessarily mean he did bad work. Parts fail, manufacturers make mistakes, if he wont make it right, then throw him under the bus..

Things happen. He shouldn’t be charging to come back out, but that doesn’t necessarily mean he did bad work. Parts fail, manufacturers make mistakes, if he wont make it right, then throw him under the bus..
The original post said they just bought the stove and had this problem from the start ( I understand this to mean the dealer installed it ) factory defect or damaged in shipping the door should have been checked and operational . The dealer told them he won’t come to fix unless paid for a service call .

But yeah, they should come out, no charge.

Reactions: ShawnLiNY