Jotul Oslo

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Dec 5, 2018
NE Ohio
First time user long time reader. I am going to upgrade my F100 ( inside a fireplace ) want to move outside on the hearth. Looking at the Oslo I am in a 1250 Sq ft Cottage 10 mi from lake Erie and 40 mi from Pen border. Insulation is good in the ceiling but not in the walls. Good windows but on a crawlspace which is semi insulated. Have electric heat and looking to save on that.Oslo to big we do lose power quite often. thanks in advance have learned alot from this site

That will be a pretty dramatic change. Check clearances.

Is the hearth large enough or will it need extending? Also, how tall is the current liner and is it insulated?

plan on extending hearth liner is insulated not sure on exact hieght but should be 16ft or so do plan on rear venting. The F100 was a stove I had so we had it installed. Was going to move that out on the hearth but the rear vent bolts are not the right ones and cant get them off . But I know I need more btus and of course the wife loved the look and size of the Oslo

Is there a block-off plate in the damper area? It sounds like the Oslo will work. Of course the best investment is insulating and sealing up the house as best as possible. That pays off year round.

I do have some sheet metal I covered the opening with but it is not air tight wil be able to do a better job befor i get thhe new stove.Do you think the Oslo is over kill?

Without knowing the layout of your home I think it is overkill.

I think you will be opening windows.

That being said though you definitely won't be cold.

How well does the 100 heat inside the fire place?
The Oslo out on the hearth will be a whole different animal.

I heat about 1400 SF with a castine quite well

I have an Oslo here. 2000sqft, newer house, two story, central Wisconsin. Gas furnace installed is 80,000. The break even outside temp for us to burn 24/7 is about 20deg daytime. The stove will keep the place warm to -40deg if run at it's maximum. During warmer weather (40-60deg) we just run it once a day if that, and use lighter woods like basswood, popular etc.

Thanks for the replyies the 100 doesnt do much masonary obsorbs most of heat and an exterior chimney I thought of the castine but the wife liked the oslo better.Also like the side door looding . The layout is open with the stove in thecenter of the cottage

Even though you have some heating challenges (namely the need for more insulation) . . . I suspect you may need to get used to walking around your house in your underwear once you have the Oslo up and running.

Do you think the Oslo is over kill?
I don't think so. I'm guessing you get a lot of wind there plus there's no wall insulation. The F500 doesn't appear to be a huge jump in output over the 100, in terms of BTU/hr. but it does have a bigger box which means a longer burn at high heat. And it will be out in the room so will radiate better. Some of that will be lost through the walls that are line of sight, though.
https://www.epa.gov/compliance/list-epa-certified-wood-stoves

Last edited:
Yes, I'm getting the feeling that a bit of overkill would be welcome.

Alagash, whats your layout with the castine. House updated Basement?

It is in a split level house. 3 levels (not including the cellar), with the stove on the ground level on a hearth.
One benefit of this is there are 2 stair ways to this room so I have one fan blowing in and one blowing out. We can get the furthest bedroom up to 68 if the stove has been running all weekend.

Up there in Yankeeland, with the cold Canada wind blowing in off of Lake Erie, no wall insulation, yes you should get the Oslo.
I have one and I love it.

My room is smaller than your room, it is 20 x 24, but with a 22 foot cathedral ceiling. Also a big high wide door opening and a lot of the heat goes down the hallway into the rest of the house.

But yes, get the Oslo you will love it. My girlfriend loves to burn that wood stove and I am an over the road trucker most of the time she is burning it by herself and she lights it right up no problem

Up there in Yankeeland, with the cold Canada wind blowing in off of Lake Erie, no wall insulation, yes you should get the Oslo.
I have one and I love it.

My room is smaller than your room, it is 20 x 24, but with a 22 foot cathedral ceiling. Also a big high wide door opening and a lot of the heat goes down the hallway into the rest of the house.

But yes, get the Oslo you will love it. My girlfriend loves to burn that wood stove and I am an over the road trucker most of the time she is burning it by herself and she lights it right up no problem
Simon what is the total sq ft of your house?

I don't think so. I'm guessing you get a lot of wind there plus there's no wall insulation. The F500 doesn't appear to be a huge jump in output over the 100, in terms of BTU/hr. but it does have a bigger box which means more constant heat over a longer burn cycle. And it will be out in the room so will radiate better. Some of that will be lost through the walls that are line of sight, though.
https://www.epa.gov/compliance/list-epa-certified-wood-stoves
So this is more real world btu amounts? It shows theF3 has more output than the castine and the oslo

So this is more real world btu amounts? It shows theF3 has more output than the castine and the oslo
Those numbers are BTU/hr. A smaller stove might crank out more per hour due to its design, but the output will peak sooner and be on the downside of that burn cycle whereas a bigger box will be cranking out high heat for longer, as I said above. Begreen could say weather the F400 can burn overnight..might be a stretch. And with no wall insulation that place will cool off quick.

In your climate, and with mediocre to poor insulation, the Oslo is not too much stove. There will be some shoulder season days when it will be too much, but you can use your electric heat for those.

The Oslo also has an optional screen that allows you to run it as a open fireplace. This would, in theory, give you less output at the cost of some efficiency. I say "in theory" because, although I bought one for just this very situation I have never actually tried it.

Last edited: