Jotul Oslo

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
The Castine when pressed can put out a lot of heat. There is a big difference in running it at 450º and 650º. But like any stove, the harder you press it the shorter the burn time. We got about 4-6 hrs in very cold weather. In milder weather an 8 hr burn was possible.

You'll love the mess when you open the front door on an Oslo

Oh no, it is much more awkward than that - you actually remove the front door, being careful not to loose the tiny washer that sits on the lower hinge pin.

But in all seriousness, it does look like it would work quite nicely as an open fireplace.

My house is 2100 square feet. A well-insulated log cabin NC mountains, the room with the Oslo is 480 sq ft with a 220 square foot loft but remember, it has a 22 foot high cathedral ceiling. So the warmest spot in the house is 22 feet off the floor, I have the warmest spider webs in the state.
Then, a big 4 foot by 7 foot door opening into a hallway, which goes in to the rest of the house.
Lots of heat from the big Norwegian stove goes into the other part of the house.

This big Norwegien stove is by no means too big for my house it works very well here.

Jotul Oslo

I built the original log cabin in 1996. 1100 sq ft. Wasn't big enough and even worse I didn't have a good fire place. I didn't have a good place to burn a fire in my wood stove.
So I built the addition two years ago. Now that is a beautiful thing, an Oslo in the corner of a log cabin with a high cathedral ceiling. It is a Wood Stove Cathedral and when I am running that stove on a cold winter night I can hear the angels sing.
So, it is just like the pioneers did in North Carolina 200 years ago, it is a log cabin added on to another log cabin with a 12 foot wide and 14 foot long dog trot connecting the two.

Gets pretty cold here we get a foot of snow tonight and tomorrow, windy, and a low Monday of 12 degrees.
But, I know that is not nearly as cold as what y'all get up in Yankeeland on the shores of Lake Erie.

Jotul Oslo

Last edited:
Reactions: kennyp2339
"Lots of heat from the big Norwegian stove - "
My daughter just got back from Norway. She stayed in air bnb's mostly, up in the mountains on farmsteads north of Bergen. Every place she stayed had a wood stove available. We thought it odd - so many wood stoves. Over here it would be a litigous nightmare having that available for the general public. Until I read later that it's actually public policy that Norwegians in general have a backup plan in case of electrical outage. It gets very cold in places especially at elevation, and at that point can get very dangerous very quickly. Most of their energy comes from hydroelectric.
This is one of the stoves. It was in an old farmhouse overlooking a fjord.

Attachments

• Jotul Oslo
    tmp-cam-8747516091457567375.jpg
    131.3 KB · Views: 116
I had a Oslo in my first house 1700 sq feet. It could get a little toasty but I wanted a bigger stove. You might not need the big stove most of the time but when we get two to three weeks of single digits to zero you will be glad you have it. I think it is easier to crack a window than push a smaller stove just to keep warm. I also like heat I have roughly 4000sq feet now I'm heating and I run two large stoves each capabable of heating 3000sq on their own. What I'm getting at sometimes more stove might be better, everyone's needs are different. Anyways the Oslo is a great stove heats great and looks beautiful, I do miss mine, always easier to have a small fire in a big stove, hard to do the opposite.

I think it is easier to crack a window than push a smaller stove just to keep warm
lol - when my old stove was upstairs in the living room we spent many blizzards with the window open, beers in the snow, just had to reach through the window from the couch to grab a beer, the blizzard nemo I had a snowstorm party, we had such a great time, miss my 20's