Jotul Kennebec C450 Burn Time

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

tspedersen

Jan 5, 2020
USA
I have a C450 insert and my dad has a F500 freestanding. Mine top vents through a 2 story chimney and his vents out the back to a 2 story chimney. He can turn his burn WAY down so he gets a lower heat and longer burn time. My C450 insert never seems to slow down much when I move the damper all the way to the left. I've checked it and the lever and damper are still connected so functioning. The gaskets have been replaced on the double doors. Does anyone have any thoughts on why I can't slow my stove down that much? I have to fill it with logs about every 2 hours because I'm down to coals. If I stuff it at night I can still have some coals in the morning but I thought I'd get a longer burn than the 2 hours on my logs (all 1-2 year old split oak/maple' hardwoods)

It’s a small firebox and nothing can change that.
I have to pack my 550 and know it will only burn about 6 hours MAX but in 8-9 hours it will restart without much effort.
My buddy has a 550 freestanding and it would easily out perform mine. Longer burns, more heat, bigger firebox.
There’s no way I could or would go with freestander in my house.