Jotul f400: How to install a new rear burn plate?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Linniejean

Aug 19, 2023
2keepegwarm
I have to replace the rear heat shield/ plate in my Jotul f-400 castine stove. The old one cracked and I could remove it without tools. Now have the new part but cannot get the side heat plates loose to slip the new one behind them (which seems to be the way the new one should go in). Any tips or tricks would be much appreciated.

IMG_0788.jpeg

Just to clarify, the interior plates are called burn plates. The rear heat shield is on the back exterior of the stove. The part that needs replacing is the rear burn plate. I fixed the title to solicit quicker responses.

I haven't done this but it looks like the baffle assembly needs to be removed first. Here are instructions:

Just to clarify, the interior plates are called burn plates. The rear heat shield is on the back exterior of the stove. The part that needs replacing is the rear burn plate. I fixed the title to solicit quicker responses.

I haven't done this but it looks like the baffle assembly needs to be removed first. Here are instructions:

Thanks for the correction and the information re the baffle removal. Will start working on that.

Great news! The links you provided gave us information regarding the removal of the baffle assembly. Even better, we were able to nudge the baffle UP (and secured with shims) enough to slip the new part right in! Don’t need to mess with flue. Thanks.

Reactions: EbS-P
Cool deal. It's good that this is being taken care. When burning, watch that back area to be sure there is not an air leak concentrating flame on the back. The ash pan on this stove can be leaky if not seated right or tired. I always ran our Castine with a full belly of ashes and scooped them out rather than use the ash pan. It definitely ran better that way for us.

Reactions: Linniejean
Yes that back piece definitely should not crack. You must have an air leak, or have run it with the ash door open. If it's from an air leak begreen is right to check the ash pan door seal.

Never leave the ash door open for even a small time. It's just a bad habit and not needed if burning dry seasoned wood.

I have to replace the rear heat shield/ plate in my Jotul f-400 castine stove. The old one cracked and I could remove it without tools. Now have the new part but cannot get the side heat plates loose to slip the new one behind them (which seems to be the way the new one should go in). Any tips or tricks would be much apprecia
I hope you didnt actually break the seal and move the side burn plates at all, those are cemented in. If you broke the seal on that cement the stove will likely run like crap.

Those rear burn plates are a nightmare sometimes, I install them with the top off and baffle assembly out, then its pretty easy to pop right in and drop down.

Reactions: begreen