Jotul f400 & flue damper?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

adamysr

Jan 20, 2020
ca
Hey guys I had a new EPA jotul f400 castine installed in Jan 2019 and its works pretty good,and it heats my house well. The only think I'd to achieve is longer burn times over night. Its seems pretty common that 5-6 hours is a good overnight burn for the f400. I know adding a flue damper would help over fire but would but would also help with longer burn times ? A couple quicks notes, I only burn almost wood (abundance of it where i live) and I have a 15' stack. Any input would be much appreciated.

A damper could help slow down flue gasses, but with a short 15' stack it could slow them down too much.

That is unfortunately a smallish (1.7cf) non-catalytic stove, so long burn times are not really in the cards for it.

gotcha. I stayed at a friends house over the weekend and he had a small Vermont casting pre-epa stove (same size as a jotul 602) and that thing just chugged away all night, the temp was 300 and didnt have to reload. I know my stove isn't supposed to "chugg" away but it got me thinking about my stove and seeing whats possible. The other reason a flue might be nice is when i fully load the box it likes to over fire.

I think a flue damper in your case will do more harm then good, 6hrs in a <2cu ft box seems about the norm, bigger stove might be in the works, overfire? what are you seeing temp wise, 700deg f when fully loaded and ripping with the air control fully closed is ok, you can try to time shutting the air down sooner to help extend and bring stove top temps down.

gotcha. I stayed at a friends house over the weekend and he had a small Vermont casting pre-epa stove (same size as a jotul 602) and that thing just chugged away all night, the temp was 300 and didnt have to reload. I know my stove isn't supposed to "chugg" away but it got me thinking about my stove and seeing whats possible. The other reason a flue might be nice is when i fully load the box it likes to over fire.
What are you considering an over fire? With the height of your flue you should be right in the right draft range. There really shouldn't be a need for a damper.

so over fire to me is about 700-750 stove top temp. I just get a little freaked out in the past when I see those temps so I try to only go to about 650 but in turn that means less wood in the box and shorter burn times

so over fire to me is about 700-750 stove top temp. I just get a little freaked out in the past when I see those temps so I try to only go to about 650 but in turn that means less wood in the box and shorter burn times
850 and above is over fire range.

[/QUOTE

probably a stupid question but I have have thermometer located in the rear left / center of the stove and not directly over the center of the stove. I know placement can give different readings

A couple quicks notes, I only burn almost wood (abundance of it where i live) and I have a 15' stack.
15 ft is minimal for the Castine. It prefers more, especially in milder weather and higher altitudes. I would definitely not add a draft damper.

For a longer burn try larger splits, load it fuller, and close down the air as quickly as possible without starting to smolder and smother the flame.

I believe max temps are lower for cast iron stoves. I haven't looked at a newer manual, and I know a lot of them don't state a specific temp number any more, but I remember reading in my BIL's manual for his old VC Resolute III that they advised staying under 700.
I've seen that thing glow faintly and the meter was about pinned. :oops: That thing is an absolute tank, though.

Last edited:
Cast iron is used on car exhaust manifolds. It can take heat, it just doesn't like rapid temp change.

Jotul f400 & flue damper?